1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

More BS. Who’s going to be the one who steps up to challenge BOB?

Cal is going to be just like Bob McNair. **** not changing with this organization.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Biggest Super Bowl windows: Chiefs, Colts lead the pack

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...super-bowl-windows-chiefs-colts-lead-the-pack

Nimo likes this.
  3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

And the defense? That's why I said the overall talent. Sure the Chiefs offense is far superior, but so is our defense compared to their's. Or are you just choosing to ignore that entire side of the ball?

Nimo likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dude started out as a defensive line coach at Penn State with O'Brien. Last year was the TE coach, not the most impressive position group on offense. Might have had a hand in picking Akins in the 3rd. Maybe we dont want Tim Kelly calling plays. And it makes sense why Sean Ryan was denied that role and Tim got it just as soon as Sean left. This is a "promote my buddy to a role he really isnt qualified for and wont be exceptional at; stability for years to come" move. Maybe the owner forced him to pick an OC and he picked the safest choice. Remember the key word is ALIGNMENT.

red5rocket likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Just because someone played defense or was a defensive assistant, doesn’t mean they can’t be an offensive guru. There gave been a number of successful OC’s that started on the defensive side of the ball and then switched to offense.

stevel likes this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Like the new QB coach hire. At least that's something.

stevel, Nimo and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

Basically, if you knew BOB since the Penn State days, you're always going to have a job. An outside voice would be great! Could tell BOB how much his **** stinks. This organization isn't going anywhere with all these "yes" men

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Yep. I feel really good about that hire.

Texanstradamus and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed. Getting someone who helped develop Russell Wilson is great. Special teams coach hired last year is good too.

10. raining threes

I thought we were talking about BOB and the offense.

But since you mentioned the defenses, the Texans defense wasn't as good as the Chiefs defense at the end of the yr. See: Luck carving up the Texans defense vs how Luck looked against the Chiefs defense.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Falcons released DE Brooks Reed. Reed started eight games for the Falcons in 2018, notching one sack to go along with a forced fumble. He turns 32 at the end of the month and should find a home as a veteran pass-rusher this offseason

12. conquistador#11

Bring him here as the traveling assistant to the general manager.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya the defense was a $hitshow that 2nd meeting. Now imagine your defense averaging that for an entire season.

raining threes likes this.
  14. HstnSprtsFan101

Brooks Reed & Connor Barwin are now both FA’s. They had some nice careers, may be the end of the road for both. I wouldn’t mind giving Reed a look on a cheap deal.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

The KC defense actually got a decent bit better later in the season when they replaced starters with other guys...problem with that re: the Texans is that we didn't have other guys to replace them with.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You literally have no idea what went into this promotion or what kind of impact Tim Kelly is going to have. Zero. Nada. For all you know, Kelly was promoted because he spent the year yelling at BOB to use his TEs more. Also, we need to stop this idea that BOB is the only coach who hires/promotes his own. *Every* coach does that - internal promotions are universally common.

Also, this endless squawking at who calls plays... IT. DOES. NOT. MATTER. BOB, Smith, Kelly, the spirit of Bob McNair....... all that matters are the results. Everything else is yelling at the margins.

We wanted new voices in the room and we got 'em. BOB is very obviously not resting on his results from last year or hiding behind the injury excuse. By my count, they now have five new/promoted coaches on offense, including an offensive coordinator, which everybody wanted, and a QB coach.

houstonstime, bigdaddy and csj like this.
  17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Falling into BOB trap of bringing in new coaches when really its the same guys that been on the staff that has absolutely no experience in calling any type of plays. Not only have we never heard of him, no one else in the league ever heard of him. Well, besides him being a LB coach at PSU with BOB. Well, I guess he's BOB's best kept secret?

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So... the standard is... YOU have to have heard of him? That's how we're going to determine good/bad hire?

19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

NO ONE has heard of him. Even guys that cover the NFL was saying that had no idea who he was besides a guy that worked with BOB since his Penn State days. He has no offensive background of anything sort besides being the TE coach for the Texans.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Bill got on the radio and flat out said he doesnt want to train and invest in someone and for them to leave. Makes sense except that that's what Belichick did for him. And if you have good assistants, they are most likely going to get head coaching opportunities. Tim Kelly was a safe choice. Sean Ryan never got promoted, probably because he wasn't as safe (and loyal). Tim Kelly might become an awesome coordinator, I'm not denying that. But you cant predict that based just on his coaching experience.

Tim is not a new voice. He is actually a very old voice. And a number of the promotions have come out of necessity. I dont think any coach was actually let go (I know Devlin wasnt). It seems from my limited view that Sean Ryan was in the way of Tim becoming OC. Or Sean saw it coming and got out ahead of the move. To me, promoting Tim doesnt move the needle either way. It will be good experience for Tim and will help his career for sure.

Cal McNair said Carl Smith is going to be working with and helping Tim a lot. I hope that is true.