1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump Youth Taunt Native American Elder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The race card. Shocker.

dachuda86 and Cohete Rojo like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hat tip to Eugene Volokh for

https://reason.com/volokh/2019/01/28/jonathan-althouse-cohen-on-the-covington

discussing this post:

http://jaltcoh.blogspot.com/2019/01/why-im-still-talking-about-covington.html

A week after the media meltdown over Covington, it's not surprising that some people are starting to say eh, this is old news; people have apologized, so why not give it a rest?

You could give various responses about the larger significance of the debacle, that some people haven't adequately recanted, etc.

But I want to add something, which is that this feels personal because it could so easily happen to any of us. The encounter was so mundane that you have to wonder what other non-events will be used to try to destroy you or me. It happened to be video-recorded not because it mattered, but because that's just so easy with 2019 technology.

I didn't have to worry about that when I was 16, but I can't help thinking: what would it have been like if this had happened to me when I was 16? Are some people not having that thought because they see him as the Other, and consequently lack empathy for him?

I also think about what will happen if I ever have a kid. Would my 16-year-old always stay on the right side of the face police? Or might he occasionally be awkward at that age? What if he had some kind of a mental or physical disability that caused him to have facial expressions or body movements that people took the wrong way? (I say "he" because so much of the vituperation that's been directed at the Covington kids has been explicitly based on their gender.)

In the past few days, I've been under the weather (getting better now, so don't worry about me), and sometimes as I've stood around in a public place, I've stopped to think: hey, I might have had an inappropriate facial expression just now, because of a combination of feeling a little out of it and feeling physically uncomfortable. If someone were video-recording me, could they find one still that made it look like I was "disrespecting" the wrong person?

When I see a post saying the kid's "smirk" (always that same exact word choice) is proof that there's something bigoted or wicked about him, I wonder if the person saying that has gone through life always making an appropriate facial expression for every social situation. Presumably not, but let's say that is the case — would you want to be someone who always makes what others consider just the right expression? That sounds like someone who's very safe and inoffensive and well-scripted, not someone spontaneous and flawed and quirky.

I grew up in a far-left college town, and I've known so many young people who were free spirits, who were nonconformists, who were determined to be themselves no matter what anyone else said, who had a passion for noisy music and experimental art, who listened to the color of their dreams . . . And back then, it didn't seem incongruous that they were mostly on the left. Today, I see so many people on the left sternly admonishing a 16-year-old for having the wrong smile in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's a prissy attitude which seems like the antithesis of so many lefties I've known. How can you be a young person who identifies as left/liberal and take that attitude? I've always had my differences with the left, but for most of my life I at least would have admitted that hey, a lot of them are cool people, interesting people, people who are worth talking to, especially if you don't share their politics. And that has no resemblance to some of the self-appointed arbiters of propriety we've been seeing on social media.

I want to say to some of these people joining virtual lynch mobs based on the latest viral video: Is that really who you are? Or are you too afraid to say what you really think? Or have you forgotten what you really think because you're more focused on . . . looking just right?

Posted by John Althouse Cohen on Sunday, January 27, 2019
    Tags: internet, liberals, privacy

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What's shocking is you don't talk more about what your side truly wants

[​IMG]

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

There is so much wrong with this. You act like the problem is the kid smirking - it's not. It's the behavior of his classmates that people took issue with. But the right loves to make up these false strawmen attacks from the left so it can write pieces about how liberals have gone wild and you can post them on clutchfans. You need to actually read both sides, and not just the side you root for.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you assume I am not reading both sides

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Oh Sweetie Lou is triggered. Going to enjoy this extra salt with my dinner. Hey Lou, you do realize that most people aren't racist regardless of what mental issues you have. Even those awful Trump supporters who happen to want America to be for Americans. And that isn't a statement about race genius. It's about nationality which isn't the same thing. Not everyone wants to give up their national identity to be a citizen of the world because nations have been pretty good to us in the past and it's our homeland. I don't know why you seem to equate white with American, unless you don't feel like other races can be American (which is pretty racist if you actually think this). I also don't know why you can't let go of a small number of actual racists who latched onto an otherwise great movement for the American people who have had enough of their borders being violated.

Also wondering about this: the Dems harbor people who hate jews, but hey who is counting? Does this include you? No I am sure.

But ok you just keep on demonizing the other tribe right? Let's throw this back at you some more... why can't you admit that you are a racist. And you see white people vote for Trump and it makes you angry. Maybe you are mad that Trump is white and not a minority. Maybe that is enough to turn you against him. Can't you admit it? No, you can't, because that's just as stupid as what you are saying about what a "side" truly wants. You also think in simple terms. Sides? There are no clearly defined sides these days where everyone thinks the same. Politics is complex and its full of varying opinions on issues and to just make this about "sides" is pure tribalism and something that only low intelligence voters do (or DNC paid operatives). I am surprised that someone with such an interest in politics is actually so wrong about things so many times. Buy hey, keep on swingin' Lou. And next time, we'll ask you about the racists on the democratic "side" and make sure to include you in the group. You will see how fair it is to be labeled racist for the thoughts of others.

#947 dachuda86, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Oh I think about 90% of the right has some racist views and probably 75% of the left does. I don't think most people understand what it is to be racist - it's not about what you say by the way.

Trump is certainly a racist, and he is pushing a white nationalist agenda which he has pretty much openly spoken about at times. So someone like yourself may not be a racist, but you certainly support one in the president.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not assuming. If you did see both perspectives, you wouldn't have posted that.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unrelated nonsense used in an effort to save face after your thread turned out to be really embarrassing for you. Solid.

12. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You didn't learn your lesson at all Carl. You are going to get embarrassed again. You are literally like 0 for 3 in this thread trying to label trump supporters as racist.

#952 tallanvor, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  13. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

that's liberals' "calling card"... if you dont agree with me, then you're racist

dachuda86 and MojoMan like this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

now you're assuming you know what my motivations are in posting to this forum

Lou, question for you: can people of color be racist?

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Well you've admitted to trolling before. Is that why you posted that piece? I just find it strange that you'd post an opinion piece about how a smirk is being interpreted when everyone here is talking about the other students not the guy smirking.

Yes of course.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

not sure why I posted that piece to be honest with you

thanks

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anyone who wears that hat does it knowing they are supporting racism, openly.

DD

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't think most realize what racism is.

They certainly do support anti-immigrant positions, dislike foreigners from brown countries, have a poor view of blacks, and generally think white countries are superior - but to say they know they are supporting racism? No.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's America boy.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

You were saying?