1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

You know, that thought occurred to me as I was writing the post. I think it's entirely possible. He seems aligned with what used to be centrist Democratic philosophy. But, realistically, he would have to get through the Democratic primaries -- and I don't think he would, since he was a Republican.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's sad that you think Warren's work and experience in the Senate and what she advocates for is "virtue signaling" .

Out of all the DNC candidates, she's most concerned with systemic economic issues and doesn't use identity poltpoli as a crutch.

There are posters here who I disagree with vehemently on social issues who are applauding Trump for his immigration policies and rhetoric who acknowledge that Warren probably has the best and nuanced economic platform.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Beta O'Rourke increasingly appears to be an empty suit that has been inflated by the massive P.R. and advertising campaign put forward on his behalf during the 2018 Senate race against Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX). This was put on full public display during a two hour interview he did with the Washington Post's Jenna Johnson.

CNN's Chris Cillizza reports:

This interview shows why all the Beto buzz might be a bit overblown

There's zero question as to who the buzziest candidate -- or potential candidate -- in the 2020 Democratic presidential race is. It's Beto O'Rourke. And it's not close. But for all the excitement that the former House member from Texas has built after his near-miss challenge to Sen. Ted Cruz (R) in 2018, there's still a whole lot that people don't know about him. And more importantly, a lot that O'Rourke doesn't know.

That fuzzy knowledge was on awkward display in an lengthy -- two-hour! -- interview O'Rourke gave to The Washington Post's Jenna Johnson from El Paso. Here's a quick rundown of the lowlights:
    • O'Rourke on how he would address undocumented immigrants who overstay their visas: "I don't know."
    • O'Rourke on President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw US troops from Syria: "There may be a very good reason to do it. I don't necessarily understand -- and I've been a member of Congress for six years."
    • O'Rourke on the Constitution: "I'm hesitant to answer it because I really feel like it deserves its due, and I don't want to give you a -- actually, just selfishly, I don't want a sound bite of it reported, but, yeah, I think that's the question of the moment: Does this still work? Can an empire like ours with military presence in over 170 countries around the globe, with trading relationships ... and security agreements in every continent, can it still be managed by the same principles that were set down 230-plus years ago?"
    {More at the link}​

This guy reminds me more and more of Sarah Palin. He looks good, but he is just not ready. Is this who the Democrats are going to put their chips on as their nominee to try to unseat President Trump? Really?

I do not believe they will, but I know there are probably some of his supporters who still disagree.

BruceAndre likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

And for completeness...

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Great post overall, but at least Beta was honest here:

Really, there is no good answer on this. If an immigrant overstays their visa, there's not much the federal government can do about it, at least in the short and near term. In the long term.....maybe.

Thus, maybe the best answer is to cut down on visas. I don't necessarily like that solution, but it's a nearly insoluble problem.

7. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes, Kasich is a Rino/pseudo Democrat, and his time as a media pundit has revealed that.

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

How is Beta O'Rourke going to overcome these sorts of attacks?

Beto's excellent adventure drips with white male privilege

Analysis by Nia-Malika Henderson, Senior Political Reporter

Imagine this: A 46-year-old former congresswoman and mother of three, who just lost a Senate bid to one of the most despised incumbents, sets off on a road trip adventure to clear her head. She instagrams part of her trip to the dentist. She gives a two-hour interview to The Washington Post where she shows no real knowledge of policy.

Like a first-year college student, she pontificates on whether the Constitution is still a thing that matters after all these many years. And then she writes a stream of consciousness diary entry, where she is all in her sad and confused feelings, over ... something:

{More at the Link}

This could never, ever be a woman. We've seen the field fill up already with women. And we've seen how they think they must run -- as serious, surefooted, policy experts with big ideas. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard are in; and on the same day as O'Rourke's emo-essay, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand announced that she feels "called at this moment to make a difference."

Are white males going to be effectively disqualified like this from being the nominee for the Democrats? Does their nominee HAVE TO BE a woman this time, because "Political correctness" and "Identity politics," you all?

10. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Yes. Didn't you see the Gillette ad? :D

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to announce that I will not be seeking the Democratic party nomination for president in 2020.

Jayzers_100 and MojoMan like this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You guys seriously overestimate the mistake-in-chief (if he is still in office) in the next election. The Democrats could run the reanimated corpse of Teddy Kennedy and win.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I am happy to hear that you think so. Do all or most of you guys think this?

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly the mentality that led to him winning the presidency in the first place, I would suggest Democrats learn from their mistakes.

BruceAndre likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. NewRoxFan

Wouldn't her not being "progressive" make her better?

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I don't know:

"Ms. Harris was criticized in 2010 for withholding information about a police laboratory technician who had been accused of “intentionally sabotaging” her work and stealing drugs from the lab. After a memo surfaced showing that Ms. Harris’s deputies knew about the technician’s wrongdoing and recent conviction, but failed to alert defense lawyers, a judge condemned Ms. Harris’s indifference to the systemic violation of the defendants’ constitutional rights."
    also

"Ms. Harris was similarly regressive as the state’s attorney general. When a federal judge in Orange County ruled that the death penalty was unconstitutional in 2014, Ms. Harris appealed. In a public statement, she made the bizarre argument that the decision “undermines important protections that our courts provide to defendants.” (The approximately 740 men and women awaiting execution in California might disagree)."
    as well as:

"In 2015, she opposed a bill requiring her office to investigate shootings involving officers. And she refused to support statewide standards regulating the use of body-worn cameras by police officers. For this, she incurred criticism from an array of left-leaning reformers, including Democratic state senators, the A.C.L.U. and San Francisco’s elected public defender. The activist Phelicia Jones, who had supported Ms. Harris for years, asked, 'How many more people need to die before she steps in?'"​

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

but wait, apparently there's more!

"Worst of all, though, is Ms. Harris’s record in wrongful conviction cases. Consider George Gage, an electrician with no criminal record who was charged in 1999 with sexually abusing his stepdaughter, who reported the allegations years later. The case largely hinged on the stepdaughter’s testimony and Mr. Gage was convicted.

"Afterward, the judge discovered that the prosecutor had unlawfully held back potentially exculpatory evidence, including medical reports indicating that the stepdaughter had been repeatedly untruthful with law enforcement. Her mother even described her as “a pathological liar” who “lives her lies.”

"In 2015, when the case reached the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in San Francisco, Ms. Harris’s prosecutors defended the conviction. They pointed out that Mr. Gage, while forced to act as his own lawyer, had not properly raised the legal issue in the lower court, as the law required.

"The appellate judges acknowledged this impediment and sent the case to mediation, a clear signal for Ms. Harris to dismiss the case. When she refused to budge, the court upheld the conviction on that technicality. Mr. Gage is still in prison serving a 70-year sentence."
    and more

"That case is not an outlier. Ms. Harris also fought to keep Daniel Larsen in prison on a 28-year-to-life sentence for possession of a concealed weapon even though his trial lawyer was incompetent and there was compelling evidence of his innocence. Relying on a technicality again, Ms. Harris argued that Mr. Larsen failed to raise his legal arguments in a timely fashion. (This time, she lost.)

"She also defended Johnny Baca’s conviction for murder even though judges found a prosecutor presented false testimony at the trial. She relented only after a video of the oral argument received national attention and embarrassed her office.

"And then there’s Kevin Cooper, the death row inmate whose trial was infected by racism and corruption. He sought advanced DNA testing to prove his innocence, but Ms. Harris opposed it. (After The New York Times’s exposé of the case went viral, she reversed her position.)"​

19. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

20. NewRoxFan

I wonder how many times a prosecutor (or, for that matter, a defense attorney) win a case on a "technicality." I also wonder how many times those "technicalities" are simply the technical application of laws. Again, I am not a lawyer, so the technical aspects of laws are outside my expertise, and for all I know the two people being discussed have legitimate complaints. But, again, I don't know how many total cases Harris and her office handles over time. And how many cases she won, versus how many she lost. I don't know much about Harris since I moved away from CA years ago, but it appears she was successful and respected both as district attorney and attorney general.

Folks already poking at her must mean she is a serious candidate though. Just like folks poking at O'Rourke. And its always good to read the good and bad about people...

Os Trigonum likes this.