1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we trade Gordon instead?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 8, 2019.

?

Would you rather...

1. Trade Knight and a 1st

50.0%
  2. Trade Gordon (if better than what Knight/1st gets)

26.5%
  3. I don't believe there's a significant difference in what we get back

7.1%
  4. I think Tucker/House/Ennis/Clark are enough at F to beat the Warriors

3.1%
  5. Gordon is so much better than Rivers that it wouldn't be worth it

13.3%
  1. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Edited!

2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

No, we need our guards to cover for CP's injuries, and to reduce his minutes when he his back.

Also, we might not be able to keep Rivers next season. Max we will be able to offer is the MLE, which will most likely be the taxpaying one, $5.3m this year. If he continues to be a solid role player this year, somebody else is gonna offer him more. We should enjoy this new found guard depth while we can, and hope Knight gets back to being a scorer off the bench by next season. Rivers is the perfect stopgap while BK continues his comeback.

Lastly, Gordon made BIG shots in the clutch in games 4 and 5 of the GSW series. For now, even though he is 8 percentage points worse than Rivers from 3 this year, I'd still rather have him taking a 3 in a close game against the Warriors with 1 or 2 minutes left on the clock.

topfive and saleem like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he's only going to be traded for a clear defensive upgrade on the wing...covington, butler, someone like that. he's on a good contract so there's not just going to trade him for a decent player who's expirirng.

fattz likes this.
  4. Soneca

Soneca Member

I know it's not the time yet, but I think we'll eventually have to collect first round picks in order to dump CP3 and/or get another star player. Hopefully dumping him won't be the case until maybe the last year of contract, but the odds are dangerously pointing into that direction. So, if you're able to get a good future first for EGo and a serviceble 3 and D wing, you pull the trigger, though that's highly unlikely. Otherwise, our window may close soon, so we'll need all the help we can get, and EGo's is a great one.

We're so close, IMO. We need good health (obviously) and another good wing. How many teams could ask for this little? Could we believe that Danuel freaking House would make this much of a difference? It was only possible because the team is really good, only needing Ariza and LMM replacements (improvements?). It's not time to do anything reckless rosterwise, let's enjoy the ride and hope for one good trade/signing until February. The Beard will do the rest.

fattz likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad you brought this up. I have always been interested in Zach since he transformed himself in Memphis.

Times have changed, and the game is a lot different over the last 5 years.
    I would still take him if he was bought out, or Koufos for that matter.

I like Gordon, and I'm reluctant to give him up. I do think Labissiere plus a pick might work for Prince, I don't think this route could work before the Feb deadline. I could be wrong.

I like T. Prince. It won't be easy to pry him.

If Clark and a lottery protected 1st rounder can get the job done, I would go for it. Add a future 2nd to it, if needed. I don't want to see Clark go, but it won't be easy, I admit.

I admire your creativity.

#25 saleem, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Mathloom likes this.
  6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If people want risk. Trade for Otto Porter Jr.

BaselineFade and steddinotayto like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. atm this team still needs cp3 and gordon if they want to win the ship. rivers has been solid but is still not some replacement for gordon. unless gordon is netting a much better player, they need all these players to actually compete. we just saw last night rivers is still capable of dud games which is by all means normal for him

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

What is the latest with Gordan? A bruised knee should not keep a player out this long.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if anything rivers is proven in playoffs
    rivers play is not unsustainable.... this is how he plays, nothing spectacular but very solid
    perhaps his 3pt% will go down but hes much better ball handler and playmaker than Gordon(and this is our Achilles heel)

perhaps the best solution is to keep gordon around for depth if cp3 goes down during playoffs in the meantime give him some pt in reduced minutes
    gordon is very usefull for us as long as hes focused on drives to the rim instead of chucking 10 30 footers a game(dantoni should just hard cap his 3pt attempts at 5 per game and we good)

10. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

We need 3 pointers, it is difficult to trade back a guy like Austin to shoot 3 point after Ariza and Ryan left. It will destroy our chemistry if u trade those like to stick the ball and hold a ball a lot of time and shoot 2 points which is wasting time and money. We should stay eric Gordon here

11. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Sort of a tricky situation. I agree with those saying that it's unlikely to get a piece better than Gordon for Gordon himself. Though trading Knight at this point feels like selling low.

Our cap situation makes this even tricker, imo. It is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to pick up any significant free agents without cap exceptions in the upcoming years, so trading $10M+ in salary for a player that can walk after this year feels like a risky move, though people with more knowledge of the intricacies of the salary cap may be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

In a perfect world, Morey would somehow be able to package Gordon and picks for Beal, and Knight would continue to progress and improve his own value, or even become a contributor himself. I know many see Knight as damaged goods, but having a young, promising pg with upside potential working behind CP3 (like a project QB working behind a veteran in the NFL) could do us wonders in the future.

rhee likes this.
  12. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

Whether we should or not is one thing I ultimately thing however that will IMO. He will be more financially reasonable Austin that is. Keep House and maybe replace him in the starting lineup or find some to back him up. Could do this and save money especially when factoring in that we could be trading Gordon, Knight and Ennis.

13. fattz

fattz Member

Covington is our answer both on the court and payroll. If we were to do Gordon for Covington straight up we would add 2 more years and drop payroll by 4mm +/-. We would have a long term solution to the wing that fits the team, system and our all stars.

Gordon > Covington but Covington helps more long term.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think we end up keeping both, and use Chriss and Melo as contract fillers with a couple of 2nds for depth.

In reality with House stepping up, Green playing well and the addition of Rivers, a wing is no longer a big need. I’d rather find a backup big Incase Nene goes down, or a guy who can reduce Tucker’s minutes.

Jeff or Jamychal Green, maybe Toliver would be my targets.

raining threes likes this.
  15. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I'd love to say that Knight will be able to contribute in a meaningful way, but I've seen nothing that makes me believe that despite undying optimism.

Gordon provides two things to us that are REALLY tough to replace:
    1 - Gordon shoots from 3 to 5 get from behind the line which is such a rare thing.
    2 - A hot night from Gordon can win a game by itself.

I don't know that there are many guys like that, and I see no reason to even consider moving him unless blown away.

joshuaao likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We've lost 1 game without him and we haven't had CP3 in that stretch. I used to think exactly what you're thinking, but we don't NEEEEED those 3 to 5 feet as much as we need a big forward, don't you think? If the player coming back is a stretch 4 who can play decent defense, I think we will be fine. Rivers and Knight will be better than Livingston and whoever else they throw out there.

We can agree all day about what Gordon brings, but this is a game of: we are league-worst at other positions and the owner not only doesn't want to spend more, but he is almost certainly going to dump salary. What's our priority? If Tucker has to play 40+ minutes against Durant and then when he's tired he goes up against Draymond, we are in trouble. Clark is his backup.

I guess a better way to put it is: do you prefer Clark as backup 4 or Rivers as backup 2?

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

People, he's going to dump salary. He is 100% going to dump salary. He wouldn't make a financially lateral trade when we were in 14th place. He is certainly not going to do it when we're streaking hot. We all know what kind of guy he is.

If he's going to trade a guard, let's trade Gordon and take advantage of the sheer luck of getting a guy 80% as good as Gordon, and within this season every bit as good as Gordon. Let's not dump our pick just to dump Knight for nothing. Knight will be able to give us 10 minutes by playoff time, it's clearly just rust. We need a significant defender to throw at the Warriors 3/4's, without it we're doomed.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Overall my hope is that we don't move anybody and let Knight become an expiring unless we get back a star or a solid role player so, if we can move Gordon in a Butler kind of trade fine, same if we can move Knight and a 1st rounder for a solid/good role player (let's say a Bazemore, even if i guess it's unlikely to happen with only one 1st), but if it's just to get some flexibility i don't really think it's worth it.

And personally, i still think we need a Gordon kind of player going forward, we won without him lately, we also won without Chris, but we need great players going forward, i don't see how we would be able to go far in the playoffs without them, at some point House, Green etc will have some bad games and we would regret moving Gordon for nothing that can help us on the court as much as he does.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Rockets need to keep their first. It's basically the only way we can inject a decent young player in the rotation

20. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Gordon is not going anywhere. Harden and DM are fond of him for a reason. He is a good player that fits what we do. He is our 4th best player.

I love EG, and I think he is the Xfactor in a 7 games series.

Having said that.... trade the bum ennis, knight, chriss, and Melo along with our useless first rounds picks to make something shake.