1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans get Demaryius Thomas

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by RasaqBoi, Oct 30, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

He’s due a non-guaranteed $14 million base salary next year. Whether Thomas will play for the Texans next season and under that contract arrangement remains to be determined. The Texans can release Thomas without owing him any more money or having their salary cap impacted.

2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Last year, when we lost to the Patriots and the Seahawks. You blamed ONLY BOB for his choices to punt and go for a field goal. You did not call out the defense when it was Corey Moore in the Pats game and the entire secondary in the seahawks game. Sure, in HINDSIGHT you can say that BOB messed up his decision, but that was 90% on the defense not being able to hold either team to a FG. Poster like you make it hard to hate on BOB because you are so driven by it that you won't even allow anyone to post anything contrary. And yes, Rick Smith cost us every game Osweiler lost. Even the players have stated that BOB hated Brock and didn't want him.

mario_v likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As head coach, he should have been able to see that the defense was absolutely gassed and also seen that Watson was moving the ball at will. When he made the decision to put the game on the back of the struggling and gassed defense, he chose to lose the game. Everyone knew those games were over the second he put the ball in Brady and Wilson's hands.

marks0223 likes this.
  4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

No one said he has done better already. Its one year, one off season, compared to 11 years. But, ppl are allowed to be excited by what he has done. Especially with 3rd rounders looking at Smiths record there. Also, all these stars that Rick Smith is responsible for came in the 1st round. Lets at least see how Gaine does with a pick there.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's not exactly true.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/in-brian-gaine-we-trust.294133/

houstonstime likes this.
  6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Haha okay.. So like I said, no one is changing minds. Just dont BS all of us and say "when its the defenses fault I call them out" You say whatever pushes your narrative. The defense was gassed? He should have seen that? Dude it was a football game, not a short week, we scored just as many points as they had, defense needed to step up and not give up 40 effing points. But whatever, dumb argument to have with you.

7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In effect I was calling out the defense, there was no reason to trust them more than Watson, but that's what BOB did in both games.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

If Watson went for it on 4th down against the Pats and didn't get it, and was only up by 2. Brady would have gone down and gotten a FG, and it still would have been BOB's fault. You only have one outlook, one narrative all the time. I think BOB needs help, he needs an OC, he can't do it on his own. But you argue so one-dimensionally it's hard to agree with you.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

But if he went with Watson and failed it would have given his team a chance to win. They had no chance once he took the ball away from Watson and gave it to Brady

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They'll release him.

Downside is there are no compensatory picks for releasing a guy.

Philly gets a compensatory pick if golden Tate leaves

13. 1234567

1234567 Member

I think the team that lose a player gets the pick BUT if that team signs another free agent that would negate if not outright cancel out the comp pick.

So unless the team will not be a player on free agency, and Texan has cap money, this would not hold true.

Big reason for delay in getting free agent when Texan lost the big B (cornerback) was not to lose that comp pick.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Some other guy on another thread said this. I should have left it there. My bad.

Yes we are allowed to be excited. And I am. And I am hoping Gaine is much better than Rick Smith was. Even if he is not as good as Rick in the 1st round (I don't know if any GM has been as good as him), the team has a good base and very specific needs: tackles, CBs, RB. That's why you see a lot of us getting on the coaching; this team has talent.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Really? Where did you get that? What I saw said that there was going to be a cap hit regardless.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I remember Peyton saying how DT had such a high IQ. He should be comfortable in that offense in no time.

raining threes likes this.
  17. raining threes

Like I said, Gaine made a commitment this offseason by bringing in the best ST's guy Bademosi and drafting better ST's guys than Smith did, in addition to paying up for an experienced ST's coach. It's obvious we cant have a discussion.

BTW, do you think it's a coincidence that Gaine became GM and the ST's are better than they've ever been, including Kubes/BOB?

18. raining threes

If you say so, but Gaine's already done two things Ricky never did in his entire time here. 1. Fix the ST's 2. Make a midseason trade to fill a hole so his team had the best chance it could to be successful.

Smith's was good at finding star level players, but had no idea about how to build a complete roster.

While your on Smith's jock give us a rundown on the 3rd and 4th round picks during his tenure. Then maybe you can see why the team was so bad at ST's and lacked depth. Would you say Reid/Coutee were pretty good 3rd rd picks? I really like the Thomas pick. You?

joshuaao likes this.
  19. raining threes

Yet Miami is a .500 team.

But I agree with you BOB cost them 2 games this year.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Agreed, and yea, Rick was a savant in the first round. I would love BOB to put away his pride and get an OC, thats what makes me most mad about him. He needs help but won't admit it. I just think it's crazy when we talk about certain games and can't even admit anyone else could be at fault. Hoping Gaine can attack the offseason with all the early picks and cap room. Getting tackles, secondary and a stronger run game would be awesome.

Nimo likes this.