1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Pitchers Should be on the Astros’ Playoff Roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by No Worries, Sep 5, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's no reason to add another pitcher as explained by hinch and what they were looking for. its been answered on all your scenarios in your post not only by hinch but posts in this thread

2. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Perhaps answered to your satisfaction, not to mine. I think the odds are much higher that we go to extra innings in a game and need another pitcher than we'll ever need both Marisnick and Straw in the same game, as one example. And what if that happens in a game that Keuchel melts down and we have to go to the bullpen in the third inning. Hinch didn't address that, did he? Hinch and Luhnow are smart guys, but are by no means perfect.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

considering someone has the actual credibility at the highest level compared to someone else with basically 0 and any insight to the actual team and what they need to do to win. it makes a ton of sense to plenty of people. If not to you then by all means continue to be negative about it

as a matter of fact he did, when he opted for more options that can pitch multiple innings rather than give rondon a spot.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Perhaps ass (added some shti) is preferable to eta.

5. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Ha! Wait, is this the return of Cangrejo? Is that you, my friend?

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

what are you even talking about. if you're going to post, at least try and be sensible

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For Straw and Marisnick, I am looking forward to them both being in as defensive OFs with a lead in the ninth. Even if they aren't used concurrently, Straw probably comes in for any catcher on base after the 7th in a close game. Marisnick will be saved as a defensive OF. Provided there are close games with Astros having a lead, I think odds are very good Marisnick and Straw both play in the same game.

That said, I don't see decision between Gattis and a 12th pitcher as all that important. If game goes into extra innings, Astros have a huge advantage even without 12th pitcher. I know Astros have officially said last spot was between Stassi and Straw. I don't see how the Astros go into the postseason without their best baserunner.

8. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I'm talking about you, my friend. I'll try typing shorter sentences.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

10. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I like your headband, my friend! But your teacher probably told you that you shouldn't use your phone in class!

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Personally, I'm glad they had both Maybin and Fisher in game 5 last year rather than an extra pitcher.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

that was actually an idea of you behind a keyboard but anyways unless you have something actual baseball related that makes any sense continue. other than that you're wasting thread space.

13. Major

Major Member

He did - by putting several guys that can go several innings onto the team (McCullers, McHugh, James).

mikol13 and YOLO like this.
  14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

15,000 posts since 2012...I kinda doubt it.

15. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Cangrejo also had hundreds of posts per day, and he also exhibited Tourette-type symptoms like this guy, so I wouldn't be so sure.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They don't want to waste Marisnick as just a pinch runner. Straw takes that job. They would likely have carried 3 catchers no matter what...so if no Gattis, then you have Stassi...who adds nothing.

And, as was mentioned many times before, McCullers, James, McHugh are all able to go multiple innings.

#256 leroy, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    YOLO and mikol13 like this.
  17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If anyone is cangrejero, I'd go with cescobar, but I don't think he is posting here.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They had an extra pitcher though in Game 5.

Astros won't carry three catchers once Gattis is gone. Gattis is only on team in case he needs to bat for a LHB against a LHP. Astros likely slightly favor 14th batter over 12th pitcher in a 5 game series. As soon as it goes to 7, they will switch to 12 pitchers. I expect Straw makes ALCS over either Gattis or Kemp.

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

In a 5 game series, you don't need extra pitcher because Astros front-line starters are going to be the relievers for game 4, or 5. I love Hinch leaving Joe Smith off and Rondon, who pitched like that knucklehead in Toronto the last month of the season. I give A+ for the roster for putting Straw something Indians would not be prepare for. Speed is one way to kill their pitching, if any our of speedsters are on the basepaths. No way they can solely concentrate on pitching. Game time woo woo...