1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you go by advanced stats, the only team in the entire league who has 3 top 10 players is Golden State. Steph, KD, Draymond. Some of the others get a lot of recognition, but those are the three that make them unbeatable, because historically it's rare for a championship team to even have two top 10 guys.

With Butler, Houston would be the only other team in the league with the same top end talent.

Im using "top 10" loosely, if the 10th best player is rated +6 and the 15th best player is +5.9, I'm including all of them.

TRIQSTER and topfive like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

People are overlooking we also land Luxury-Tax Profit in this PJ+EGo trade. @Carl Herrera @J.R.

Something like $4m LT Profit.

So, if you like rooting for Luxury Tax Profit as much as Tilman does, you'll love this trade.

3. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Who on Philly is a better fit than Gordon? Covington???

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

please name someone besides DG, that essentially can do all the things Tucker does for the Rockets, especially key against the team to beat in GS.

You make it sound like Tucker is some throw in that is invaluable. he's far from that

Vivi, HP3, hakeem94 and 3 others like this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You don't think Covington is a better fit than Gordon on that Bulls/Wolves team? Thibs has never been about 3 point shooting so if he had to pick a player to replace Butler it's not unreasonable to think he would pick the 3&D guy over Gordon.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If all it took was EG, PJ, and a 1st I am sure the trade would have been made yesterday. Wolves gave up multiple lottery picks for Jimmy.

7. bmelo

bmelo Member

And we would still have mle

8. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I think Covington is good but I think Gordon is the better player and the better fit for Minny. Just my opinion though.

steddinotayto likes this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey: "Imma pull the trigger on a Gordon for Jimmy Buckets trade."

Tilman: "NO!! ANOTHER SUPERSTAR SALARY? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! I LOVE ERIC GORDON!"

Morey: "But we'll actually save 4 mil."

Tilman: "Then again..."

don grahamleone and hakeem94 like this.
  10. steddinotayto

And I too agree with you that Gordon's a better player but this is the same coach/GM that has consistently made dumbfounded moves looking for glory of yesteryear. So I wouldn't put it past Thibs to do something illogical.

DM'sVP likes this.
  11. steddinotayto

No lie; this little nugget has me convinced Butler will be a Rocket soon.

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I was mostly talking about the playoffs. Harden and Paul are 1/2 in the playoffs, no question.

In Philly, with how limited Simmons is shooting the ball, Butler would definitely be ahead of him, though you're probably right that Embiid is #1.

13. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Poor Thibs. He’s way out of his depth. Maybe he can come be our defensive coordinator.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Fans overrate Tucker just how they overrated Beverly when he and Lou Williams got traded for CP3. This is essentially the same trade. One 3 and D role player, 6MOTY for an all star.

#154 mario_v, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  15. CXbby

CXbby Member

There has been "big 3s" in the past, LeBron/Wade/Bosh, Pierce/KG/Allen, LeBron /Irving/Love etc. These are fake big 3s, because they are really big 2s plus 1. Bosh and Allen are not top 10 caliber players or superstars, especially with lessened usage. And in the case of LeBron's Cavs it was a big 1 plus 2.

What makes the Warriors unique is Draymond Green. He is able to maintain his top 10 caliber impact without using possessions that go to the other big 2, because his impact is from defense and passing. With Butler there would be some risk that he gets marginalized, but I think it's worth a shot. His impact is on defense and he is an elite shooter from the corners so that fits fine. Also CP can retain his impact even without scoring because his value is in facilitating and also defense. Harden, CP and Butler can work because only Harden relies on his offense to produce any value, the other two can both contribute in other ways than scoring.

JoeBarelyCares and BMoney like this.
  16. YaosDirtyStache

I hope you dont boom us, Cyber.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

this still didn't answer the post. probably because there isn't anyone in mind.

good thing the majority of this board understood replacing bev/lou with cp3 was a no brainer and huge upgrade. The few skepticals dont overtake what the overwhelming opinion of that trade was

steddinotayto likes this.
  18. photojoe

photojoe Member

All these people are complaining about losing Gordon and Tucker for Butler?

I like both of those players. I am glad they are on our team.

But I would make that trade 100 out of 100 times.
    Having CP3, Harden and Butler? Wow. With Capela too?
    Give me that over Steph, Durant, Thompson and Green.

BMoney and bmelo like this.
  19. Newlin

Newlin Member

Before he joined the Rockets, I barely knew who Tucker was. Now I love the guy. It would really sting losing someone that steps up every night and does the dirty work and never complains.

A package of Gordon, Tucker, and picks should be very attractive to Minnesota.

I like Butler, it would be interesting if he joins the Rockets. I'm going to trust Morey on this one.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

James Johnson. But yeah guys like that are unique in that they allow you to run our switch everything scheme. People are freaking out about Bzdelik retiring, well he was here two years ago where was the switching defense then? You still need the personnel, and PJ is key to that.

With that said, Butler is too much talent to pass up. Talent > scheme.

joshuaao and mario_v like this.