1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas Cop Who Fatally Shot Man After Entering Wrong Apartment Identified

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Granville

Granville Member

No....citizens are not subject to Police Department employee policy and procedure, You're struggling with that concept I see. Internal affairs investigates internally not externally. You're barking up a dead tree.

2. likestohypeguy

Doesn't work like that RR, there is no "part of town", felony will go through one of the district courts in the Dallas county courthouse only.

I hope she gets the worst possible outcome. I always side with the mindset of "obey police commands even if they're wrong, live to sort it out later", & THINK I would still do as much this situation, but you have to know you're safe at home.

Set an example thatll make them think twice before entering a residence, hold them ultimately responsible when things go south, regardless who's at fault at that point if they had no business in there.

macho GRANDE and Granville like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure, cops are not really ever fully off duty. Still doesn't explain or justify why there wasn't an immediate arrest. Cops on the scene gave her the benefit of the doubt where they would have taken an abundance of caution approach with any other perp. It's fair to complain about the disparity in treatment regardless of what happens in the trial or sentencing.

I don't think there will be any problem of evidence. The only ambiguity I foresee is in interpretation of law as to whether her imperfect self defense reduces her culpability. I doubt the jury will have much control of the verdict on this one other than the length of her imprisonment, if any, based on my jury experiences. The judge will write jury instructions that will essentially dictate what the jury has to consider as acceptable self-defense.

If we had well-functioning law enforcement and prison systems, no one would would have cause for concern about putting a cop in a prison population. Yeah, it's dangerous for a cop to be incarcerated with criminals. It's also dangerous for a criminal to be incarcerated with criminals. I'm not sure why one is okay and the other is not.

I agree and disagree ( and commented anyway). I have opinions, but they're in process. I'm keeping an open mind about the whole thing. I may be contradicting myself later in this thread as new information comes available. I don't think it is actually helpful for citizens to just sit on their hands and wait for the process when something important like this pops up in their community. People might be wrong and they might wear paths for themselves to continue to be wrong once they start on the wrong path. But, it puts the pressure and the spotlight on the authorities to get it right. If the public isn't howling (on both sides), it's too easy for some operator to fudge the system. Right now, all eyes are on DPD and the DA. No matter what they do, one party or other will complain if not both, so their best course of action is to do everything by the book so they can defend everything they do.

Rocket River, JeffB and macho GRANDE like this.
  4. RightTooCensor

In regards to your response to my quote, ex-cops are more likely to be targeted than your average inmate. Most people in jail aren't wrongfully convicted. The prison system and law enforcement have no relation as to why inmates assault each other behind bars whether it be because of personal quarrels or if it's gang related.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I actually hadn't looked up the details in this case till just now and.....it's a mess. If the officer's story holds up, then she's not guilty of anything from a criminal standpoint but absolutely should be sued. That said, if people believe the witnesses that she was banging on the door yelling "let me in" and the evidence is consistent with the guy letting her into the apartment only to be shot, then that's when murder is on the table.

I would imagine it would be pretty hard to make this case because you have to prove that she's lying about her entire story and I just don't see that happening unless some more evidence comes out. I would be prepared for her to walk unless there's some bombshells to come.

6. JuanValdez

If this woman goes to prison, it won't be a wrongful conviction either.

As for the prison system, everyone is a target. If we didn't do such a piss-poor job at controlling crowding, having good facilities, engaging in intelligent rehabilitation, treating mental health issues, preventing contraband, and maintaining order within the prisons, we wouldn't have an assault problem there. Then we wouldn't have a worry about including guilty police officers in the population either.

JeffB and macho GRANDE like this.
  7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Aren't child molesters and rapist targeted a lot in prisons too?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  8. Granville

Granville Member

I have provided the explanation why she wasn't immediately arrested. You choose to ignore it. Cops on the scene followed protocol. You may not like it but that's what happened.

9. dmoneybangbang

And pedophiles are targeted to.

Prison time should be an extra incentive for cops to toe the line. Being a police office is a voluntary decision.

10. dmoneybangbang

Beat me to it. Prison sucks, one should try not to go there.

11. JuanValdez

I didn't ignore it. As a citizen, I don't like it. I consider it an injustice. Saying it's protocol doesn't make anything better.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Some Cop Killer make stupid decisions that result in a cop getting killed . . . .. .do you think that is possible?
    Do they get the same consideration?

You give cops alot of benefit of the doubt . . .. i don't
    Citizens don't get three days to clean up their stories, paid leave, ability to hire PR Firms and calculate the best story possible
    They get arrested on the spot.
    Why were the Cops that beat Rodney King moved to SemiValley?

Exactly. . . .
    Saying we made procedures that will give Cops extra protection and the ability to manipulate events in cases of their wrong doings
    is why Cops are rarely arrested and convicted of their wrong doings.

So now we have a multi-tiered justice system
    One Justice system for "ordinary people"
    and
    One for Cops . . which is more lenient and permissive and less punitive.

Rocket River

13. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you in theory but I do expect there to be a bombshell. Something is missing from the story and honestly her story isn’t believable. Either she was intoxicated or she had a relationship with the deceased or she has a brain tumor.

14. RightTooCensor

Yes they are.

15. RightTooCensor

I'd like an example of someone accidently killing a cop.

If this same situation was reversed and the man shot the officer for intruding he would be detained, face trial, and most likely be let free without punishment. That's the process.

Cops have to be questioned after a situation like this, she should face jail at the end of the day, but there's a process to this investigation that goes down before the woman gets put in prison.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I kind of hope so because while I think her story is hard to completely debunk, it still sounds like BS to me. I'd also need to hear reasons why she thought it was her apartment such as it being in the same place just on a different floor or whatever. If it's not the same number of doors down and things look radically different, I won't be able to believe her story. I have done some pretty stupid things before out of exhaustion like taken the wrong exit on the way home or whatever so I could maybe see how she could have made the mistake if everything looked essentially identical and she just got off at the wrong floor....but I need more evidence before I can really sign off on that.

17. Granville

Granville Member

Jesus, man. You can jump up and down all you want. You get wrapped up in conspiracy theory, often get proven wrong and them you wallow in bias and ignorance. That's got to be tiring and constantly crying wolf damages your crusade.

You're talking about a government agency that has trained employees authorized to use lethal force in the line of duty. Questionable in the line of duty shooting or not these incidents are reviewed per department policies. Had this been an off duty incident where the woman was not in uniform and admittedly got in to a personal argument and shot someone she would have been arrested then and there. Her claim was she thought it was a burglary. She was asked what happened at the scene, To my or your knowledge that story hasn't changed.

You got what you wanted.... She was arrested. That's what should have happened ultimately.

The military has their own justice system in case you haven't heard.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Supposedly he had a bright pink large door mat in front of his apartment. At this point everything isn’t known but I agree with you, I smell BS.

19. Granville

Granville Member

Per news reports, her apartment is directly below the deceased man's apartment.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That's not the point of course. The fact is that she has received preferential treatment right from the start.

Instead of holding police accountable, they're given great deference and are held less accountable than you or me despite the fact they are sworn to uphold the law.

Rocket River likes this.