1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

It usually takes a center about 4 years (on our team he will be) till u seee what type of player he really is ! There is hope that we can develop him better than the suns!! After watching what type of player he is , he will flourish behind capela and def fits the system !!! Pick and roll baby!!!!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Would you say same thing had Morey traded our late FRP, instead? What has a future 2019, 29th Pick proven? Yet, many would hold dearly to that vs a rookie who really should have been a FRP.

I guess future first always have more value because a selected pick eliminates teams who don't need that position filled that the known player does??

I don't know. I think Melton is worth more than our 2019, 29th pick. But, in your words, "What has either proved?"

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This trade does nothing for our team. Neither player will do much. Chriss has TRob written all over him and Knight is coming off a bad injury to play behind CP Harden and EG. Not saying it was good or bad. I’m a little concerned about Chriss being a trouble maker but doubt it’s enough to cause damage for our team. Knight’s smaller contract saves us money but also means we can’t trade for as big of a contract like a Bazemore, though that wasn’t likely to happen.

It may help Phoenix giving a new home for Ryno but that’s not our concern nor will it affect us.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Chriss also has some ball handling and shooting ability to build off of.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would have been better, but maybe that wasn't on the table.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That is the question. I think Melton the Player would be worth more to us, as his playing style has an obvious fit on our team.

But, the 1st rounder is probably the more liquid asset. With Melton the Asset, you run the risk that he gets hurt and/or unexpectedly disappoints in G League. No such risk with that future 29ish pick.

TheRealAllpro and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

The most likely scenario is that the Rockets and Suns both just dealt garbage for garbage and there is little impact on the court.

Knight has not been a serviceable player in years. He is a poor defender and in the past has let his disdain for coming off the bench affect his on the court performance. He is coming off of a terrible injury and will come off the bench in Houston. So there is no telling how thrilled Knight is about coming to Houston.

Chriss is not mentally an NBA player. He should be working at Taco Bell or McDonald's and not counted on by a professional team. He is long, and has the ability to guard guards on the switch, as well as get loose balls and steals. Last year he regressed and looked lost. Maybe something suddenly clicks being around Harden and Paul but I really doubt it. He is an end of the bench project.

Speaking of projects, I am half expecting to see Thomas Robinson, Squid and Thabeet back on the Rockets..... we are again loaded with projects that likely will amount to nothing..... Chriss, MCW, Caboclo and Qi. It is odd for an elite team to have that many projects associated. Maybe one of them surprises. If I had to guess, it will be MCW.

Pretty clear that MDA wanted this Anderson situation resolved prior to camp. The Rockets have gotten two smaller contracts that are possibly easier to move. After the Chriss option is declined, the Rockets will save even more money.

ArtV, Vivi and Boki4MvP like this.
  8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Best case situation would be if Chriss and Bruno pan out. If that happens our second unit would be bonkers. Imagine EG, Melo, and Green lighting it up on offense, while Chriss shuts down the paint and Bruno wreaks havoc in the passing lanes and locking folks down!!!

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. heypartner

Would you say same thing about a future FRP, instead of Melton?

Morey obviously had a choice: offer Ryan and 2019 FRP (likely 29th), or Ryan and Melton.

Which trade do you like better? I'd trade the future before Melton. I'm willing to bet Morey's first choice was to trade the future (yet again, which is more his M.O.) than his man, Melton.

Not to say I don't do the trade, regardless, but dismissing fans for "weeping" over Melton, when we have a late FRP to offer instead, makes me jump to the keyboard to ask the question above.

BaselineFade, Vivi and mikol13 like this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just stating with a semblance of a 3 point shot, he already does what Capela can't. If he get his 3% up to a mid 30s area and hone his defensive ability, we could have us a winner. Maybe even a deadly "twin tower" duo.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Welcome to the team young Marquese. Now come over here and have a seat.

We have someone we would like you to meet and spend some time with...
    [​IMG]
    Just pay better attention than Dwert.

12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Unfortunately you are probably correct. But on the bright side Morey’s always got tricks up his sleeve...

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I know but my point is that we might as well have waited until the deadline, we may have gotten dead weight back with Knight.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Pretty much this, but the Rockets do get "flyers" in the meantime which isn't nothing.

This was a deal made for flexibility & financial savings. It could be a homerun deal IF (and that's a big IF) Knight and/or Chriss turn out to succeed in Houston, but the deal was made for the sole purpose of flexibility & financial maneuvering. The thinking had very little to do with on the court impact IMO as well.

I do think they will view Chriss as a T-Will/T. Robinson type of flyer, but they gave up far less to get a lottery flop in this case. The Rockets also have far less patience nowadays for this type of player so I expect him to get a very very small shot... but far less runway than TWill, TRobinson, or Thabeet ever got here in the past.

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets are not any worse with this trade for this season.

Morey has been trying to deal Anderson for a month and there were no great fits.

So, now the Rockets can try to move one or both (Chriss/Knight) later in the season if they need to.

Hui, slothy420 and Elephant810 like this.
  16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The other consideration is Stepien. I agree that in a vacuum, I'd prefer to keep Melton over the 2019 1st. But if a Butler or any other star becomes available over the next year, you know 100% that the 2019 FRP will at least have some value. With Melton, if he gets hurt, underperforms, or if the other team just doesn't like him or see a need for him... you'd be boxed in, because the next FRP you'd be able to move wouldn't be until 2021.

Hui, skroodup25, ArtV and 7 others like this.
  17. heypartner

Isn't this all a guess wrt the delay in signing, solely based upon none of us thinking Morey would trade him?

Now that we see Morey was clearly putting Melton on the table, and probably dozens of tables over the past two month, makes more sense to me to say Morey never signed Melton, because he didn't want a unproven, asset's 30-Day Not-Trade provision to monkey up his flexibility all this time.

Makes zero sense for Morey to sign Melton. Our guesses that Melton was holding it up, might not be the real story.

Did any real news break saying Melton was holding out?

BoneYardDog likes this.
  18. Know Your Role

You just know Dwight pissed off Hakeem at some point. Hakeem doesn't even get mad lol.

19. rocketseagles07

Time to make up the crazy knight, plus 1st rd pick, plus filler for a random star scenarios.

Lol it is what it is, people that thought Melton was gonna contribute significantly were probably overrating him. Huge potential as a defender but the playmaking ability y’all talked about I didn’t see.

Knight is whatever, chriss looks lost half the time but his potential is crazy

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

If you will just do some simple math, it won't be difficult to see how this trade helped the Rox in so many ways.

1. The boss saved a ton of money, and this is always the most important point. When the boss is happy, Morey's job is much easier.

2. Company to Black's performance last year, will you want to play Chriss instead of his minutes last year? YES

3. Do you believe Chriss (with 2 years of NBA experience now) will be a bigger contributor to the Rox this year than Zhou Qi and Hartenstein? YES

4. Do you believe Knight will contribute more than the combination of Brown / Webb / Jackson and whatever scrubs that we had last year? YES

5. Do you believe Anderson will contribute anything positive to the Rox this year if we keep him in the roster? Highly doubtful.

6. When is the last time a second round rookie of this team contributed to the Rox in his FIRST YEAR? None really.

Yes we have given up a decent second round rookie whose never played a game yet, but its totally worth it.