1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impeach Trump

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Feb 24, 2017.

1. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...one can only hope, Rashmon.

...but...

...there are still a whole bunch of people who unswervingly support a failed insurrection...and prop up monuments to traitors...and prefer to believe it was something other than what those that precipitated it explicitly stated over and over again it was about...

...and they do that by simply not finishing or misrepresenting the statement: "...states rights..." ...to own slaves...

I've found it's better to be vigilant than hopeful about things like this. A black thing some folk wouldn't understand.

...and there's always been an allure for some folks for certain causes...no matter how lost those causes are...

#201 mdrowe00, Aug 24, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

more impeachment analysis. I know, I know, it's from The Federalist. But still an interesting piece.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/08/24/here-comes-that-clinton-impeachment-rerun-you-asked-for/

My opinion . . . I agree with this paragraph:

"6) Everybody is to blame.
    If we’re about to repeat this whole saga, who is to blame? Pretty much everyone, just like last time.

"Donald Trump is to blame for being a notorious womanizer and hiring an unscrupulous lawyer. His voters are to blame for selecting him over less scandal-prone alternatives. The Democrats are to blame for nominating the only candidate less appealing than Trump, and then for indulging unrealistic fantasies about reversing the last election. The media, both the mainstream media and its alternatives on the right, are to blame for focusing on the sensational over the substantive. And we, the American voters, are to blame for letting our politics get this appallingly stupid."

full text:

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sigh...interesting you would cherrypick that paragraph.

While I partially agree with the sentiment in that single paragraph; the rest of the piece? Not so much. This is not a redux of Clinton. And if you think it is you're not paying attention or you do not want to admit the truth.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK, so assuming everyone is to blame for trump becoming president (didn't see if trump and his circle received any blame, but no matter)... what is the next step? What is the solution to the current problem?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's true, there was far more evidence of impeachable crimes against Clinton.

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

vote for better candidates next time ;)

JuanValdez likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'll be surprised if the centerpiece of impeachment hearings is failure to report all campaign expenses to the FEC.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Exactly. The list will be long.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As of right now, that's the only thing they have any evidence of and that evidence is merely one person's word against another's. At best the campaign finance BS is censure worthy if proven. Still to date there's no evidence of an impeachable offense.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I still say just let him finish his term, if you want to charge him, do it afterwards.

11. adoo

adoo Member

Russian troll pretending that he can't count

Cohen + Pecker + Trump Org's CFO = 3​

the Russian troll needs to stop pretending to know what Mueller and the SDNY Feds have.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree, given that you are a Russian troll, you should stop pretending to know what Mueller has.

13. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Well, you were so sure they had nothing before it was known they had this. Truth is you know f*€£all about any of what they have and your efforts continue to be comical. You are one of the few bright spots in this descent - constant entertainment, kiddo.

Yung-T likes this.
  14. foh

foh Member

Impeachment is a political procedure based on popular opinion, no? It is not really a legal type of proceeding?

Imho, the centerpiece should be about Trump's consistent innuendo that he is above the law and for not believing in United States values:

His constant promulgation of deep state conspiracies. Use of pardons, winks (to Comey on Flynn), intimidation (Brenner), perpetual NDAs as levers for his cronies and against his critics. His vengeful nature with regards to criticism (going after press and Obama's inner circle). His inhumane handling of immigration problem (Purposefully separating families and forcing kids to become orphans as a deterrent). His disrespect of women and family institution (womanizer). His equating of nazis & white supremacists to anti-nazi protesters. His constant disregard of intelligence comunity's findings on Russian meddling and not doing much publicly to prevent it going forward (he asked them to help meddle more!). His pride for using financial and legal loopholes. His withholding his up-to-date tax returns from constituency. Picking a supreme justice mostly likely because said justice would exonerate him from indictments.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton. I'm just a cursory, non-partisan follower of the news. I hope I'm not misrepresenting anything of significance above.

ps. I agree with Lebron that Trump who never served in the military is just using the anthem issue to rile up people and divide us among racial lines, but that opinion is more controversial and should not be in the impeachment procedures.

pss. sorry if this is a repeat of another post somewhere in this thread...

Yung-T, LAM and Two Sandwiches like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Well, "next time" meaning presidential? If so, that's 2020 and a world of damage can and probably will happen by then. If you mean 2018 midterms... it appears that republicans are voting for trump candidates... so voting for better candidates doesn't look like its happening.

But my question wasn't re: 2020 or even 2018 midterms... but what can be done now?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

make some popcorn, pull up a chair, and enjoy the show

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump Derangement!

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, it is definitely political (there was even a Supreme Court decision that impeachment proceedings were political and not judicial and therefore were not subject to court review). But it is a legal-type procedure with witnesses and testimony and cross-examination. The Senators sitting in judgment are mostly lawyers too. Given the political nature, popular opinion is important (Clinton's trial was split mostly on party lines), but I hope that, if the merits of the case are heavily in favor of one side or the other at least, that Senators can put politics aside and faithfully execute the process.

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Everything is really starting to unravel.