1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Media is the enemy of the American people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anticope, Feb 17, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My assumption just like your assumption.

2. fchowd0311

And you absolutely have a right to be a naive idiot and not see that Trump's criticism of the media and labeling it "the enemy of the people" has nothing to do with legitmate criticism of the media that is warrented but rather his self interest of not wanting criticism of him and his adminstration.

If Trump's criticism was from an altruistic perspective regarding legitmate criticism he would be attacking Fox News along with CNN.

So no, as long as you can cheerlead his adminstration even with spin and objectively false information, he will never call you fake news.

3. TheresTheDagger

Fair enough.

My assumption is driven at least partly by the attempt made on Republican house members and the shooting of Steve Scalise last summer and the confrontations of Republican officials we've seen over the past several months...things I can't recall seeing a Democrat face recently.

4. TheresTheDagger

Why do you debate this way? Hostility reeks from many of the posts you make here.

5. fchowd0311

Because you genuinely have to be a naive idiot to believe that Trump criticizes the media NOT from a pure selfish intent.

The media could push false story after false story and have horrible bias but as long as they praise him, he would never refer to any outlet as the "enemy of the people".

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Death threats and violence towards politic leaders is always wrong. Didn't start when trump became president because unfortunately there have been evil and insane people throughout time (Gabby Giffords, Reagan, RFK, JFK, MLK).

Attacks on members of the press seem to a more current problem. Hopefully that deescalates...

7. TheresTheDagger

And where did I specifically state this? I can link you to a post where I specifically state just the opposite.

And this is besides the point. Insulting your debate opponent in a personal way makes for unproductive conversations, lack of clarity, and creates hostility where none need be.

8. NewRoxFan

[​IMG]

9. TheresTheDagger

Wholeheartedly agree. I think everyone could benefit from cooling down the rhetoric, even here.

B-Bob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

Not gonna state I haven't done this. Generally though, I respond in kind to attacks rather than start them. But I realize this is a distinction without a difference. Trying to change and all that.

What about you NewRoxFan? Are you a pot or kettle? ;)

11. fchowd0311

So now we are having a discussion here where you magically are all of a sudden concerned that the head of the executive branch labels crtics of him "the enemy of the people"?

Because I never once seen that concern here on the D&D from you... Only whataboutisms which imply a defense of Trump's rhetoric.

12. TheresTheDagger

Once again, he labeled "Fake News" the enemy of the people, not "critics" as you say. I also understand he's deflecting from valid criticism which makes him very much like most politicians although his style is certainly confrontational and that's new. I've made similar comments about Trump earlier in the thread.

Its true my comments in this topic have mainly been criticisms of the media. I do this because I've seen a change in the way media presents information to this country. It concerns me they are completely unaccountable to anyone. It concerns me that corporate media requires ratings over balance, facts and truth. It concerns me that the biggest media empires have become mouthpieces for the individual parties. It concerns me that there is an imbalance of left leaning media sources vs. right leaning in the overall spectrum. All of this is much more concerning to me than any one politician...even the President.

Frankly, I've avoided talking about Trump very much in this thread unless I feel he's been quoted incorrectly. If you feel the only way one can participate in this discussion REQUIRES bashing Trump, I decline respectfully. There are plenty of other folks who don't mind taking up that challenge. To me, it's tiresome. Trump at best has 6.5 years in office...possibly much less. The media will still be there. They are much more of a concern to me. If that "implies" a defense of Trump to you, so be it. I realize you can't be convinced otherwise.

At this point, I'll bow out of the conversation. Apparently, I've cause you some offense and would rather not continue to provoke you with my posts anymore. It's not worth it.

Good luck.

13. NewRoxFan

This has been asked before, but since you have taken up the cause of defending trump's statement, humor me with a definition of "fake news"... along with a list of "fake news outlets". As trump would apply that label to NY Times, Washington Post, CNN, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, just to name the most often targets of his. Are all of these "fake news"? Compared to, say, fox news, breitbart, and the washington examiner?

14. NewRoxFan

Just as I criticize trump, Ocasio-Cortez deserves criticism for banning the press from her event.

Invisible Fan and vlaurelio like this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Weird if all press but if she allows local while banning national, I get it. She's getting too many headlines and maybe wants, at some level, to just talk w people in her district.

16. Buck Turgidson

You left out The Federalist, and man is @Os Trigonum gonna be pissed.

NewRoxFan, B-Bob and Os Trigonum like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Context always matter.

Local town hall event. Trump would never ban press from his speaking event - he want the press to showcase him. He ban selected press members from Press events. She ban the press for a local community event. When she starts banning selected member of the press at a press conference or any events, you are right to fully criticize her.

“We wanted to help create a space where community members felt comfortable and open to express themselves without the distraction of cameras and press. These were the first set of events where the press has been excluded,” Trent said. “This is an outlier and will not be the norm. We’re still adjusting our logistics to fit Alexandria’s national profile.”

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've got a new one for you, give me a minute to dig it out

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

and when was this?

20. NewRoxFan