1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Media is the enemy of the American people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anticope, Feb 17, 2017.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump has brainwashed so many people.

CNN, NYT, WSJ, WP are all left leaning, but generally cover both sides. And most people know that. Meanwhile Fox News is FAR right, and basically propoganda - except for Shepherd Smith.....

The media has always leaned left, but smart people knew that already and could make informed decisions, the problem is that old people grew up when the NEWS had to be truthful - removed in the 90s due to a Fox local station lawsuit about it being entertainment - and now they think Fox is truthful, when most of the people there are op/ed folks - who are catering to their user base - which generally speaking is not all that informed of facts.

DD

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Fair response, and I appreciate it on all 'counts. I'd only say the last bit is not a strawman. It is implied, over and over, by 45 and a lot of right-leaning media. The implication that there is a vast liberal mob running "the media," includes a lot of the places I listed, though never listed by name.

Cheers!

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  3. PatBev

PatBev Member

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I like the use of parentheses there.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Genuine question for you.

When Trump criticizes media and labels them enemy of the people, does he do it from an altuistic perspective of legitimate criticism of the media or is the "fake news" in his "fake news is the enemy of the people" line basically "news that is critical of Trump even if the underlying facts are objectively true"?

#645 fchowd0311, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

7. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

8. leroy

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I don't think you understand what wikileaks is. The organization exists to publish anonymously sourced secrets as primary sources. That's the content it provides.

A tax return or an email or a top secret memo is not biased -- the people paid to talk about the content or speculate on the source of those documents on television are.

TheresTheDagger and Astrodome like this.
  10. leroy

I understand what they say they are and what they intended to be. But they clearly chose sides in 2016. I'm not saying they did anything...but it's certainly well within the realm of possibility that they tweak some of what they release to the public to further their chosen agenda.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. B-Bob

Agree. They have a clear agenda and have now been caught red handed in taking sides (oops! Russian joke not intended).

But I feel like a fool to have ever believed they were in any way a true "wiki." It's a shame they're allowed to keep that moniker.

They clearly do not release wholesale whatever they receive. Even in this case of the "fundraising party," does anyone believe that the snippet released is the whole email chain? Would full context make less of an anti-DNC splash? Do we wonder if maybe "wiki"(sic)leaks released the nugget that would look as bad as possible for the DNC? How did they decide exactly what to release? Does anyone believe that they haven't received dirt on the GOP or Two Scoops? In a completely un-wiki-fashion, some content just never seems to see the light of day. Gee whiz.

12. B-Bob

The careful selection of what part of what document to release and when to release in, in coordination with whom, is completely political and not in the spirit of a community-sourced wiki.

I don't doubt the authenticity of what they release (though perhaps we should, at this point). But I doubt very much that they release the whole story they receive. They choose exactly what will be shown and what will not be shown. So this doesn't really distinguish them much from a very biased news outlet, modulo ties to foreign governments.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, MSNBC has been going in on Trump the last few evenings. Maybe brennan and omarosa would be a decent ticket in 2020.

14. TheresTheDagger

My views on the media were established a long time ago even before Trump was a reality TV show host. Nothing has occured since then to change my mind. Quite the opposite in fact.

Correction: Trump called FAKE NEWS the enemy of the people...i.e. People who consistently lie or obfuscate the truth and do so with a political agenda in mind. If any entity deserves the backlash they are getting, it is the mainstream media (much of it Fake) and it's a big reason why Trump is President right now.

Beyond that, I assume he wants good press (or at least fair press) as much as any President and he's not getting it. So he's lashing out.

(Not that the mainstream media or its kool aid drinkers would ever deign to REALLY question their own unelected, unaccountable, group of people with the greatest soap box in the history of humanity)

15. biina

biina Member

Then Trump must have been talking about himself in the 3rd person, cos that description fits Trump more than any other human, entity or even nonentity.

16. TheresTheDagger

LOL. Touche.

17. TheresTheDagger

So which is it?

18. leroy

Which is what? I don't know if they doctored that email or not. I just said it's within the realm of possibility as it was well known that Assange was trying to help trump.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ten to one trump rails about communist Japan in an upcoming tweet...