1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela wants $100m/4yrs. Rockets offering $60m/4yrs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 10, 2018.

1. basketballholic

2-3 years tops.

If we can't trade him or sign him to a short term deal then we're better off to let him play for the QO.

2. basketballholic

LOL. That's good. Because they're showing you what they think. You're going to find out when this is over that a substantial amount of that 5/85 was non-guaranteed. Rockets aren't revealing that. LOL. They know they can't get tied down with both Capela and Anderson. They know.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't think you watched the games. Re-watch them (if you're A REAL FAN), do the math for PPP, then come back to me. Don't be foolish by coming to a different conclusion that I did, my eye test is much better than yours therefor my conclusion is superior.

There, I just put up the exact same argument as you, how are you going to reply? Jeez dude.

joshuaao likes this.
  4. basketballholic

I'm not doing your homework.

Durant/Capela is a mismatch and it's foolish to believe we can win that way.

5. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm not sure he's worth 100M/4, but in today's NBA... 60M/4 for a guy like Capela at his age is a major lowball offer. I just hope it wasn't irreparably insulting to Clint.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lmao, you aren't doing YOUR homework. Why do I have to do the math on PPP to defend my opinion, but you shall not fathom doing such thing for your own opinion, when YOU are the one demanding PPP in the first place. Your debate tactics are clear and silly bro.

7. hakeemthagreat

The same Capela we won 65 games with? The same Capela that outplayed KAT & destroyed Gobert in the playoffs? Yea I'm sure that's a good idea

8. basketballholic

There's no debate. Durant vs. Capela is a mismatch.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You'll have trouble getting to play Durant without Capela.

#709 CometsWin, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    RudyTBag likes this.
  10. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

He may feel like it is. Fortunately for the Rockets, teams aren’t willing to spend cap space on centers. There’s a lot of legitimate concern on how he would fare in another team’s offensive scheme. There’s also no state income tax here. It’s all about perspective. Reality is that teams have overpaid for this position in the past. As we’ve continued to discuss here, the center position isn’t the integral piece of today’s NBA team the way it has been in the past.

If no one else is willing to pay him that at this point and it’s more money than he’ll get from anywhere else, how is it a lowball offer?

Why not? likes this.
  11. basketballholic

That same Capela was on the bench when we played the Warriors in crunch time.

We won 65 games with Ariza starting and playing more minutes than Capela. Does that mean we should've paid Ariza $20 million per?

As far as Minny and Utah I've already addressed that many times. Beating those guys doesn't constitute a championship.

You can't build a championship team with your third and fourth highest paid players sitting on the bench when its winning time because they are mismatched.

Yes, we came close this last season. But aa I said in February ...We didn't have enough. Specifically at the 4/5 spots we didn't have enough. We were playing smalls significant minutes at the big spots and in the playoffs that was only going to increase.

Even with Paul we have to acknowledge the Warriors were playing without their starting small forward, Iggy. And that was a significant loss.

Now we've lost Ariza and Luc and replaced them with MCW and Ennis. Those are at best, at best, somewhere between a downgrade and even. At best. We did get a winner in the draft. He needs to play significant minutes in the main rotation and be ready for the playoffs. Looks like Melo is coming. There's your other 4/5 guy along with PJ will be playing those spots in crunch time with Harden/Paul/EGo. Once again, if Capela is here and everybody is healthy.....he will be the 7th rotation player, at best, against the Warriors.

Harden
    Paul
    PJ
    Melo
    EGo
    Melton/Ennis
    Capela

With the guys we currently have plus Melo.....these are the guys that will have to play the most minutes to get past GS. Capela is 7th on that list.

Give him 3/45 with an opt out, or give him 2/30 with an opt out, or give him 1/15,'or sign and trade him, or let him play for the QO. Or maybe give him 5/85 with about 30 of it non-guaranteed. Capela had his chance to grab that 5/85 though. That should be off the table now. We cannot afford to get locked into a long term guaranteed high dollar deal on Capela that makes him have negative trade value meaning we have to send out assets to move him.

12. basketballholic

Now there you may have an argument. But I don't believe it for one second. If we didn't replace Capela with an athletic big that could go up high, catch and finish then possibly so. But that action is replaceable. We can get high catches and finishes out of Qi. And much better switching defense out of Qi.

I know that's not a popular answer. And I know most members think Qi needs to bulk up before he has a chance. But that's old school basketball. It's simply not true. Qi is good enough to eat enough minutes and give us enough quality pick and rolls and defense to get us to the Warriors. No he won't be great. But Capela isn't great either. It's all hype. Hype hype hype. When you study how we play and understand what our winning formula really is the Capela infatuation is a huge hype machine.

Capela is a good guy. And he's a decent player. If we could keep him at 5/50 he'd be worth having around and giving minutes to to save our main guys wear and tear for the playoffs. But he's a role player, a role playing basket roller. He's a very good roller and finisher. But he's not good enough at it to make it work against the Warriors. He needs to be able to flip out to the three point line in the pick and pop and nail the three ball. It's that simple.

That's why Qi's development is going to work. Qi is working on his three ball, not on his bulk. We've seen this story before. Terence Jones, Clint Capela. Same development. Work on bulking up, adding mass, ignore developing a great jump shot, then expect to get paid big money. We should have been teaching Capela to shoot from Day 1.

We're finally doing it right with Qi. Get him up and down the court, get him to switching defensively, and have him put up tons of three balls with proper shooting coaching.

That's the recipe for success. I'm actually giddy excited about Qi. Because I'm convinced that that style of basketball from our 5 man is even better than a great pick and roller.

It's about the team. It's about winning championships. Catch, shoot the 3, dive to the basket when the defense over extends. That's how we play championship basketball. And since AD and Kristaps ain't coming then we might as well develop our own sweet shooting praying mantis at the 5 spot and put the supercharger on top of this souped up offensive engine.

Unfortunately that's not Capela. Capela is simply a four barrel carb. We and he never developed his jumper. And it's literally costing him millions right now.

#712 basketballholic, Jul 17, 2018
  13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This guy really hates Clint. The Rockets beat GS 3 times and you're behaving as if they got swept. We were two good hamstrings away from a title.

Deckard likes this.
  14. RESINator

RESINator Member

15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

I think Clint is a great player but the problem is it doesn’t matter how great you are in the regular season if you can’t play a substantial role vs the warriors then your value is limited as they are the team to beat.

16. basketballholic

Sensational play no doubt.

Here's the problem. It's one play out of ten. The other 9 times Curry scores and gets the foul about 3 times. That's 21 points in 10 possessions.

The above play is the exception.

This play is the rule.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep this in perspective guys.

Holic thought Clint was a bust when he was drafted.
    Holic thought we wouldn’t make the playoffs with Clint starting.
    Holic thought we should have traded Clint Capela for Nerlens Noel.
    Holic thinks Zhou Qi is a superior basketball player to Clint Capela.
    Holic thinks Zhou Qi can defend Kevin Durant. Zhou Qi, the guy with slower shuttle runs and lateral tests then Kyle F’ing Wiltjer.

He has had to eat lemons for Clint’s entire career, and it is so damn amusing to watch him change his argument every few months, as Clint continues to get better.

BigMaloe, dlite316, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  18. basketballholic

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Top 5 switching C in the NBA at worst.

Clint Capela’s ability to switch is truly what sets him apart from 95% of NBA bigs. His feet are special in that regard.

#719 RudyTBag, Jul 17, 2018
    BigMaloe and xaos like this.
  20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

(Controlling your thoughts and emotions)

Also, ClutchFans dark is GOAT.

#720 RudyTBag, Jul 17, 2018
    BigMaloe likes this.