1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros Trade option(s)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ZeroPoint, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

You don't deal any of the top 5-7 guys in any deal for Real Madrid. None. Catcher is the least of our worries RN. We need bullpen arms to keep us fresh, I'll take a Hand and Britton any day of the week for a top 5 guy tho... MAYBE.

2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I'm 12yo and what is this

Rockets FTW likes this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Seems about right.

Catcher is not the least of our worries. We have many positions well covered that are way lower on the list. In terms of priorities, it's bullpen first and catcher 2nd.

McCann is not healthy and odds are decent he won't be again this season. Stassi is doing a decent job but they don't think he can handle the load that the playoffs brings. Realmuto would greatly improve a position that is weak right now and doesn't have a long term option ready to go.

Neither of Hand or Britton are exactly setting the world on fire. Yes, they would help the pen but it's not like either of them are doing any better than our usual go-to guys.

BMoney likes this.
  4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I think acquiring Real Madrid would be pretty good. Not sure they would care for baseball prospects though

Rockets FTW likes this.
  5. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Tucker is a far superior talent and will be out producing him very soon. Realmuto is an average offensive player at any position other than catcher. Offense should take a backseat to defense when talking about catcher (Stassi is better in that regard)

Tucker’s under team control for 4 years beyond Realmuto

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

In terms of wRC+, Realmuto would be 2nd on our team right now behind Bregman. He's been amazing this year

7. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Ok, Jenkins.

I get your point... but I'm sitting here and telling you that Luhnow won't deal top prospects for Real Salt Lake. I'd put big money on it. There's no need on the part of the FO to burn assets for a player with two years control at the CATCHER position. McCann will be ready by OCT and Stassi/Fed/Gattis (if need be) can hold the fort.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Yea timing is that wasn’t great, but reports are they don’t think it’s serious and he will likely be back after the 10 days. I would still take a shot on him if the price is right

Perez is having a down year but is a solid veteran catcher who could be had, Barnhart could be moved (I won’t act like I know much about his defense cause I do not).

Thing is none of us on here really know what they think about McCann down the stretch and that’s what will drive this more than anything. With so few reports of us looking into catchers on the market it seems like they feel good about McCann by September for sure

Rockets FTW likes this.
  9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Skill position factor goes to Realmuto.

Tucker could be a great player but he also could be a no body. No one will know till it's time. At least with Realmuto you know what you have

10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Realmuto has a .902 OPS as a full-time player, and has thrown out 13 of 30 runners trying to steal this year. That said, he is considered one of the worst pitch framers in the game, which is an area Stassi excels.

However, he’s still a much better player than Stassi, who granted, does has a .792 OPS, but it was primarily built during his time as part-time player that crushed LHP. He’s been fading fast offensively since being forced into a starting role due to McCann’s injury. Stassi has only thrown out 7 of 31 baserunners trying to steal this year also.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep, seriously. Paxton and Bauer are the 2 guys with 2 years of club control after this year that have been ranked already. Paxton isn't far behind this year in fWAR and Bauer is well ahead of Realmuto this year. Both have had better career fWAR and both are projected for more fWAR the rest of season. Considering that teams usually value short term elite pitching over short term elite batting, I'd guess those two guys have more trade value than Realmuto. That said, it wouldn't completely shock me if Realmuto sneaks just within the Top 40 either.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

What's odd is that Stassi has been hitting RHPs very well for 3 months now, but he's gone Marisnick cold lately against the LHPs the last 2 months or so.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

So your list of alternatives to Realmuto is an injured guy, a terrible hitter who is playing for a contender, and Tucker Barnhart? There are probably so few reports of Houston looking into catchers because there are so few quality catchers available. There have been reports linking them to both of the viable starting caliber guys who are known to be available (Realmuto and Ramos). Right now, if a team wants to add a good, healthy, starting caliber catcher who can hit, their options are JT Realmuto and...that’s it.

14. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

What about a package of A.J.Ellis, Brad Hand and Craid Stamman?
    A catcher and 2 relievers.

15. The Beard

Yea you want a super star there, I’m good with a solid defensive veteran that our staff likes

As I’ve said before, maybe Luhnow caves in, changes his typical way of doing things, and just gives up Tucker for 2+ years of Realmuto so he can have a star hitter at catcher

I seriously doubt it though

16. The Beard

Also, which of those guys is playing for a contender?

KC, Cincy or Tampa are in the race?

And you would rather move Tucker than take a guy who is likely out 2 weeks? You really think the next two weeks are that important huh

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Sorry I was confused, I assumed he was talking about Roberto Perez of the Indians. I suppose Salvador Perez makes more sense, but I don’t think he’s available either.

18. The Beard

Oh, gotcha

I think S Perez could be had without giving up one of our top 3 for sure. Not as good as Realmuto offensively but a good defender, and can hit better than most catchers. An extra year of control over Realmuto also. I don’t think we trade for him, but I would put him being moved at 40/60 or so

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Machado about to be a part of the Phillies. I heard Olney also say they want Trout. Sheesh.

Then Morosi comes out and says Phillies have a package of there 2nd ranked prospect (73rd overall)... my inital thought is... that's it?

20. The Beard

Rental, I don’t think we will be seeing the crazy deals for rentals we used to

Look at what JDM got last year