1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Ennis signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Jul 11, 2018.

1. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Nunnally is pissed that we didn't sign him.

Fullcourt likes this.
  2. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

He looks nice, but this was 3 years ago. Watch highlights of him on Detroit. He needs to get in better shape in my opinion. Still like the signing though.

bj3175 likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Tough to say it, but it would make a ton of sense for to trade Nene or ask him to retire right now. His 3.7 million contract considering his on-court contributions and our tax situation just don't add up, especially when we could likely sign a more effective backup center for the minimum.

Anderson, Nene and Onuaku are making a combined 25.6 million dollars this upcoming season, it's absolutely insane we have that much money tied up in more or less, guys who could very likely be replaced, if not upgraded by minimum salary players.

Obviously, Anderson is by far the biggest issue here, but it would probably be best if we could clear all 3.

Cash Cam, lilbird20, rhee and 2 others like this.
  4. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Well judging by his username he probably wanted all 101M of the salary cap for himself.

No surprise Mauwree wouldn’t give in to those demands

clutchdabear and seclusion like this.
  5. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

FIFY :D:D

6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

It was implied on a article on his twitter that he wanted a guaranteed contract.

DonKnock likes this.
  7. H-Town Rockets Guy

great signing. We picked up a nice wing defender that we desperately need

8. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Who is Melton taking minutes from? Not Gordon. Harden is still the primary ball handler. One of either Paul or Harden will always be on the court. Even if Melton was picked 1st or 2nd in the draft, he's still on a team that finished best in the league last season. He hasn't gone up against players he'd play against for those 5 - 10 minutes.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Really good Mbah A'Moute replacement, but doesn't even come close to making up for the loss of Ariza. Morey better have something else up his sleeve and I hope it's not Melo (but it probably will be, ugh).

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Melton is taking minutes from someone who may be injured. Paul is only going to play 70 games a year at best, it all gets shuffled forward...

BasketballMind likes this.
  11. forchette49

Your SF lineup is Ennis/Green, buuuuttt, your PF situation just got better with Melo/Tucker. Can't have it all...

rhee and Ryan_Success like this.
  12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Ppl will be pleasantly surprised with this signing.

I’ve been on the trade bench Ariza bandwagon for 3 years now. He’s been the weak link in the starting five for a number of years from an offensive standpoint.

If Ennis can just hit the 3 at Ariza level (35-37%) he’ll be a major upgrade. He’s bigger faster younger and more athletic. He’ll be able to make the defense pay by driving to the hoop when the defense is scrambling towards him on close outs, which is something Ariza was terrible at.

Imo this is and upgrade. Ariza was steady and safe Ennis is a risk only because he doesn’t have much experience. But playing off harden and cp3 will do wonders for his game.

Add melo and hopefully one more wing defender even if he can’t shoot that well and the rockets imo will be better than last year.

The media and many here are overrating Ariza and Luc those guys we’re solid but Ariza was not elite on D, Luc was and I wish we did still have him but Ennis will he just as good as Luc on D and similar on O but maybe even better because he’s more athletic.

Capela
    PJ
    Melo
    Harden
    Cp3
    EG
    Ennis
    ryno
    Green

5 or the 9 are plus defenders.

Harden and green our neutral

Ryno and melo are not good but hopefully melo is better in our switch scheme? Imo he will be but still won’t be great.

My bold prediction is the D actually improves from last year.

We have an identity and a defensive leader in cp3 as well as a defensive player or the year candidate in Capela. We’ll be just fine on that end no doubt in my mind.

The real question is how much will melo being a true 3rd option scorer over EG help the team. It could be melo okc or it could be what I think and he’ll have his best season in 4 years from an efficiency standpoint. He’ll have so many open 3s and 2 dribble pull ups from 18 feet that he loves. He’ll feast next to harden and cp3.

If he gets 30 min a night I think he’ll easily be our 2nd highest scorer on the team.

My expectations is harden at 28ppg
    Melo at 21ppg
    Cp3 at 16ppg
    Clint at 15ppg
    Eg at 15ppg

With pj Ennis green and ryno hovering around the 7-9ppg. ya

We’ll score 115ppg easy.

Might even have the best offense in nba history imo.

Defense will be top 8 again also.

BMoney, mathor, DreamShook and 3 others like this.
  13. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Guys who come here (while we have Harden/CP3) will almost always get overpaid if they leave, and new additions will be underpaid generally. Serviceable role players are likely to improve while here and Ennis is another one that can actually be a rotation player at a very cheap contract. Good pickup.

14. forchette49

Melo is 34 yrs old, is 6'8" and 240 lbs. and doesn't want to play PF anymore, lmao! That's just adorable btw!

Tipjar bet @RudyTBag ?

#274 forchette49, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Watched a couple minutes and it was literally just breakaways and cutting to easy dunks, wtf

16. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I would think that Melo and Tucker would likely be interchangeable at positions, much like Beverley and Harden were depending on matchups. wasn’t too long ago that Tucker was starting at SF in Phoenix, and it’s not like he’s lost a step.

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Our best line up next year will be :
    Capela
    Tucker
    Gordon
    Harden
    Paul

18. aroundtheblock2

Strongly dependent on matchups.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  19. aroundtheblock2

Is it really over? Maybe? Maybe there were other red flags ? I really want Nunnally on the team to have the wing depth we had last year. I value Nunnally far more than I value Melo when it comes to fit.

20. forchette49

Correct, Warren was the best option for them at SF at the time.