1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman: Luxury tax has never come up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

to maintain the realistic shot hou had at making another run at GS sure why not? hes not worth that much but is a realistic shot to compete for a title going to take some overpaying. it does. Especially with the alternatives ending up being LMM leaving and signing an aging melo to do his best impression of a replacement that downgrades the team.

da_juice likes this.
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Stupid question - there is no scenario in which it is beneficial for Tillman to disclose that if true. It can/would only be used against his team by other teams and players if he admitted it. It's in our team's best interest that other teams aren't sure if we are "all in" or not - not just for people trying to steal our players(like Capela in RFA) but for teams looking for trade partners, players's agents looking to leverage teams for deals, etc.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It's way more fun to be reactionary apparently.

4. xaos

xaos Member

There’s a big difference between being cheap, spending wisely and just blowing it all. With the fact we have CP3 the max, I’m still trying to see where we are on that spectrum. Obviously with a short window I could imagine we’d be closer in between spending wisely and blowing it all vs just cheap

da_juice likes this.
  5. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Ariza jumped at the money. Took that 15M offer on the first day. I think if he’s patient maybe the Rockets and him work something out but who knows.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Well a 1 year deal has no long term ramifications on winning or trade flexibility - only the luxury tax. With that said, Ariza received a 1 year deal. So..

da_juice likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I too am thinking an Eric Gordon/Anderson trade is coming if we sign Melo. It's the only thing that makes sense. Maybe not that exact trade obviously, but something similar.

Melo theoretically replaces Gordons scoring, and we use our one tradeable asset to get out from Andersons anchor and add some defensive versatility, and financial versatility to trade with in season.

As is, the team defense is a complete no go if we're still talking about beating GS.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think a lot of people here have a bad read on this situation.

You don't just give Trevor Ariza $15M and Luc $4M because he wants it, when your team needs flexibility to churn over time. The only way you ever have leverage in a negotiation is if you're willing to walk away. I'm not happy that Morey walked away from Luc, but I understand that I don't know all the facts.

On a macro level, NBA contracts are really whacked out right now. There's not a good equilibrium with knuckleheads like Zach Levine getting $337 billion dollars.

As a GM you're going to have to draw the line and leave yourself some breathing room for when a guy you really want does become available. Fans have too short of a perspective. As a good manager of anything at any level, you're going to have to say 'no' to some things. Not relevant to luxury tax.

clutchdabear and Handles like this.
  9. Handles

Handles Member

There’s a difference between spending wisely and being cheap. I don’t think we’ve been presented with enough info thus far to claim Tilman as “cheap”. In fact, I’m reading the opposite- he’s willing to pay luxury tax for a chance to compete.

It seems like we’re trying to maintain as much flexibility as possible while keeping as much of our core together as we can. I have no problems with this strategy. Losing ariza and Luc hurts, but I think they are both replaceable. Hopefully we can snag a guy like jimmy butler near the trade deadline, thanks in part to the flexibility afforded by our “cheap” offseason.

bumbum09, Richie_Rich and napalm06 like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

based on letting Ariza walk away for $15m?

Richie_Rich likes this.
  11. seeingred

seeingred Member

No contending team was going to pay an aging, streaky ariza $15 mil. In fact, that's the exact type of move that quickly removes you from the contender list.

vlaurelio and Richie_Rich like this.
  12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I think the Rockets were low-key done with Ariza after the game 7 performance and wanted to go a different route. Its a long season. They cant blow another opportunity to advance that far with players not playing at their best.

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I kinda agree. He shot 20% 3PT in that 7 game series...and in the last 2 losses he jacked up 18 total and made 11% of them. $15M/ 1 year....good for you, Trev. No hard feelings and thank you.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How? How does signing Ariza to a 1 year deal hurt us if the owner is willing to pay? Explain how...

YOLO likes this.
  15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Or how about this:

The amount that teams can spend is limited by the salary cap. Teams that spend their money wisely will be successful.

Overpaying for players isnt a smart move. Everyone has hits and misses but you have to try and spend your money to get the most value. That's just good business.

xaos and chievous minniefield like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love this post. Exactly right. It's all about context. This is an older team with a limited window. Plan accordingly.

xaos and Richie_Rich like this.
  17. seeingred

seeingred Member

Do you understand how paying Ryan Anderson $20 mil this year hurts us? Same thing. NBA has a hard cap. $15 mil for Ariza changes the Capela situation from "we don't want to pay him $25 mil/year" to "we can't pay him $25 mil/year".

18. BackdoorHarden

In the mob, you don't talk about stuff.

So Tilman really means it when he said Luxury tax has never come up...cuz if it did, you're sleeping with fishes

Snitches sleep with stiches and fishes

19. BackdoorHarden

Exactly. We're maxed out. We can't get anyone else. We can only lose someone, like Ariza.

The Warriors are paying $100 millions a year for Livingston and Iggy due to the Luxury tax. You think the Warriors want to pay $70 millions a year for Iggy this year? HELL NO, but the Warriors know their window has only 2 years left when Klay, KD, and Green leave and Curry is 33 years old, so they have 2 years left so they had to overpaid Iggy and Livingston.

No one was going to give Iggy $48 millions for 3 years when he is 36 years old, but Warriors had to do it because they can't replace him since they are capped out.

Ariza is the same. Rockets are capped out and can't replace him and have a 2 years windows with CP3 and Harden. Their time is now...or was unless we can pull a trade. Window is limited, just look at OKC. They went cheap and didn't give Harden an extra $4 million, now their window is over.

Ziggy likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For one, Ariza would expire unlike Ryno, it's just one year. And there is no hard cap in this scenario, we could pay Ariza and Capela if we wanted to.