1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If it is all about race, why is it that the majority of Border Patrol and ICE officers are Hispanic? Why am I, an Hispanic, so opposed to the Democratic desire for open borders and support faster, more comprehensive deportation? Please quit shaking the "race tree" hoping to find a new, more potent poison the Democrtic Party can use.

#241 thumbs, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Or perhaps its more like this...

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's it about given that the number of illegal immigrants declined drastically during Obama, given that they commit less crime, and given they fill a needed role in the economy and have a net benefit?

And just because you are hispanic doesn't mean it's not about race. The Border Patrol doesn't set policy. Nor do you. And while you are Latin and favor eliminating illegal immigration, you have to admit that this is not a big problem compared to the issues this country faces. Being Latin doesn't mean you don't want Mexicans coming into this country. No one is complaining about all the illegal Irish and Europeans living here or slipping through. Nope - it seems it is ok to overstay your visa but we have to toss out the brown people? I think you are a very confused soul to be honest.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. thumbs

First, I am not Latin. Latins are Italian (Roman) just as South Americans are not Latins. I am Hispanic.

Second, I am not confused. My father was more articulate in Spanish than in English, but he was very proud of his U.S. citizenship. As a boy, watching televised baseball games, we all (mother and sister included) stood with our hands over our hearts while the national anthem played. Although not something of which I am proud, he was the first person I ever heard use the term "wetback" to refer to an illegal immigrant. He felt they should become citizens if they wanted to stay in this country.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

From what I've seen, by far the most anti-illegal immigration people you'll meet are legal immigrants. Those who do it the right way are offended by the assholes who think they are too good to do things the right way. It is what it is.

cml750 and thumbs like this.
  6. thumbs

Both reference The New York Times. The Times lost its credibility years ago. In my first years as a major media reporter, I had great respect for the Gray Lady. Sadly, the Times for years has betrayed the precepts of real journalism on a daily basis.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's laughable. The NY Times is still the most trusted source in American print Journalism.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  8. thumbs

Only in the hearts of extreme liberals.

cml750 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Actually, the reverse is true... only right wingers, including trump, disbelieve the NY Times and all media except Fox News, Washington Examiner, and blogs. I find the Times on point on the linked article. For example, trump tweeted today he tweeted his belief to ignore the constitutional right to due process by saying "When somebody comes in, we must immediately, with no Judges or Court Cases, bring them back from where they came."

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Latin American is what I am obviously trying to say. Let's not be a snowflake here ;)

So that's why you don't like the illegals, because they make you feel grouped in with the illegals and not proud US citizens. That makes sense actually. My uncle (who is Indian) doesn't like the Fresh Off the Boat Indians who are moving in. He's worked in the US gov't for 40 years and puts a flag in his yard and talks about how great Trump is, but can't stand all the Indians coming in on these visas or the illegals.

You know why he can't stand these H1-B Indians coming in? Because they make him seem less American - because he gets grouped in with them - these Indians who don't get American culture and do weird things that his white neighbors and friends complain about.

So yeah, i get it. You don't like the illegals because they make you look bad.

JumpMan likes this.
  11. thumbs

And your degree in psychiatry is from where? Your surmises are as much on the mark as Sweet Lou's (the BB player) grasp of the power of nose candy. Is this the reason you support illegal immigration?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At this point, there's not a truly trusted source in American print, they've all disgraced themselves.

cml750 likes this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Gee, what happened the poster who was advising people to not attack others for differing opinions?

14. thumbs

Revenues and subscriptions, with a few bumps here and there, have been on the decline for years. There were rumors a few years ago that the Times would fold.

15. NewRoxFan

Is this unique to the Times, or as all print media as people get their news from electronic sources?

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  16. thumbs

A question and an observation are scarcely "attacks." A poster who makes assumptions/deductions needs to be questioned about the qualifications he or she has to make such deductions. My observation is merely to demonstrate the fallacy of such deductions. Sweet Lou, and Deckard for that matter, and I have debated each other for years without animus.

17. thumbs

The Times, like most print media, have been trying to become electronic. The reasons are the high cost of newsprint and the icreased speed with which they can get their message out to the public.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Do you literally just make **** up to justify your political leanings? This has nothing to do with Obama. This has nothing to do with democrats... this is Trump’s issue for better or worse. He chose to make this a key part of his platform and he will live with how history judges him; he it good or bad.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. thumbs

No, I just listen to what Democrats like Kamala Harris say and respond. The problem of housing children was not as great as under President Trump, but he did authorize their construction and use.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Personal attacks aside (I find it hypocritical after your lectures to everyone else), I do not support illegal immigration. I just turn it into the bogeyman people like you do. I see the facts instead of the frantic hysteria your kind seems to love to buy into.

It doesnt take a psychiatrist by the way to see what is so obvious. You look down on Latinos who aren't educated and assimilated into American culture like you are. You don't want them here. They make you look bad. Just be honest with yourself - it doesn't make you a bad person to see the truth. It makes you an honest, self-aware man. Truth shall set you free - ever hear that one?