1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[FIFA] World Cup 2018 in Russia Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Nov 16, 2017.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The organization for African teams is two parts. Some are disorganized from their FA or coaching staff and others are disorganized on the pitch in their teamwork. Some world cups it'll be the former for countries like Ghana and Nigeria and others it will be the latter. Ghana weren't disorganized in 2008 and 2014. Nigeria weren't disorganized in 98, they were just over confident and got destroyed by Denmark. And Nigeria were definitely not disorganized in 94. 2014 was just a bad one for all the African teams. This year will be better.

I think it's a bit off to say Nigerian don't have a chance in their group. That group is absolutely up for grabs as ever team there has a chance of making it through. It's such a tough group and very unpredictable imo. All those teams have a chance and no one in that group is unbeatable, not even Argentina.

Morocco have a tough group but Portugal aren't unbeatable so I wouldn't say they are without a chance in their group. They are a solid team and I rate them over Egypt. Same thing with Tunisia. Just like Morocco, their group isn't one to necessarily fear. Panama aren't unbeatable and neither are England. Those teams could absolutely lose to Tunisia. Same with Portugal and Iran to Morocco. I feel the same way about Senegal. I don't think they'll have it as tough against Poland, Colombia and Japan as Nigeria will with Argentina, Croatia and Iceland. I think all the other African teams have groups they can come out of with less difficulty than Nigeria's group. Main thing is it'll be fun and interesting to see which African team makes it out but you shouldn't think they have no chance.

That Nigeria, Argentina, Iceland, Croatia group should have some unbelievable matches in it though. Can't wait for that one.

ramotadab and Raz like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not even German, I can speak German.

ferrari77 likes this.
  3. Raz

Raz Member

That's the fun part about the group stage. You can't really tell. I'm pretty sure we'll see not more than one African team advance, but also never thought Costa Rica would make it to the Quarter Finals in 2014 (actually made fun of a friend four years ago who predicted Costa Rica to beat Uruguay on the first matchday and got exposed later that night). First week with three games a day is what I'm looking forward the most.

ramotadab likes this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're not the only one. It's just that there's always one every 4 years that makes a run no one expected. I believe Egypt will get out of group A solely based on the overall crappyness of that group. Nigeria and Senegal are the likely others that have any chance. IMO, the African nations always do well in the youth cups due to shear athleticism and individual talent. They lack proper coaching and not enough of their players are playing at a high enough level. Like you said, once it's time to play the big boys, they just don't have the tactical advantages needed to truly go deep.

I think, for Brazil, it comes down to who they start at keeper. If they start Ederson, it could be an early exit. I wouldn't have any confidence in him. Yes, he was City's primary keeper...but he really didn't face much pressure all season. They were constantly up 3 or 4 goals and kept possession well. If they stick with Alisson, they have a better chance.

I know Fox is going to have a pick em game. We'll have to start a CF group.

Jontro likes this.
  5. ferrari77

I'm not sure I agree re. proper coaching and not enough players playing at a high enough level. The problem with the African teams has always been disorganization. Whether off the pitch with the FA's, infighting within teams, the teams fighting with the FA's over bonuses/money. (At times there have been coaches out of their depth but that's not as common as the other issues).
    I mean, Nigeria, Senegal, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Cameroon, all have (and in their past world cup squads) a fair amount of players playing in Europe and the rest playing in some African leagues that aren't significantly worse in talent level than you'll find in Costa Rica, Honduras or Panama.

Best example that comes to mind is Cameroon at the 2014 World Cup. Look at their squad. They had almost the entire squad playing in good European leagues. They had a decent manager from Germany. Their issue wasn't coaching or playing at a high enough level. Just infighting within the team.
    The African team that is unified and organized on and off the pitch is a team that does well at the World Cup. Examples: Nigeria in 1994 and 98(98 team was just arrogant and that's why they got embarrassed by Denmark after the group stage), Senegal in 2002, Ghana in 2010.

Interesing take. I didn't think it was that close a competition though, I figured Alisson had secured the #1 spot already. I guess we'll see who starts the tune up matches before Russia.

Raz likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's the beauty of it - Unpredictability - Ideally you only need to win 2 games out of 3 to advance in group stage - Sometimes even 1 Win and 2 Draws can make that happen.

Costa Rica was an intense defensive team with Keylor Navas singlehandedly saving nearly everything.

A defensive team or elite offensive team always emerges.

ferrari77 likes this.
  7. Raz

Raz Member

No love for the champs, still awesome trailer

ramotadab likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lit af orgasmic trailer. Pogba the man.
    wade Wilson.

Lost me at Joel Embiid doe. Nash and Olajuwon are obvious choices.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

ferrari77 and daywalker02 like this.
  10. ferrari77

Embiid is a big fan tho. Obviously no one in the NBA over the past couple of decades a bigger soccer addict than Nash though.
    They could've used just about any African or European in the NBA cos they're almost all big fans of the beautiful game.

Which reminds me. Capela casually mentioned last week how he was considering getting a ticket to Russia after talking to Ngolo Kante.... who he is apparently friends with. Also says he is going with France vs Brazil in the finals. (Of course he is going with France to win it all cos he loves the French team more than the Swiss team after playing his pre-NBA years in France).

ramotadab and daywalker02 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol. Nash and Olajuwon had the best footwork because they played soccer. Embiid is just following in their footsteps.

Capela is a good guy.

I am not as high on Germany as I was months or years ago. Löw is on edge and something is amiss. We will see.

Getting the egos of young players on the same page will be key.

Germany is an automatic in the Semifinals or Finals given the talent.

ramotadab and ferrari77 like this.
  12. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

With Team USA shockingly not qualifying, I wonder what the ratings drop off will be in this country?

Hardcore fans will watch regardless but I have to think there will be a noticeable drop off in American viewership.

13. leroy

The casual fan will most likely not watch. I've seen articles from just after the USMNT failed that said it would cost FOX around $20 million. Not terrible and they're mostly insulated as they had the sponsorships wrapped up early. Plus, it's an isolated thing. As long as the US qualifies for 2022, they won't have to worry about sponsors dropping out.

At least I hope it's an isolated incident.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It'll be compounded by the time zone difference. Many group stage games will be on weekday mornings, around 7 AM central time.

The American viewing public had it good when Brazil hosted.

15. leroy

But it's not as bad as 2002 (Japan and S. Korea). The games are at reasonable times...but they are during the 1st part of the work day.

Sure am glad I work from home!

daywalker02 and ramotadab like this.
  16. Raz

Raz Member

Russia just lost a friendly match against Austria, two weeks before the World Cup starts. Group A and the opening match in particular is going to be so embarrassing.

17. leroy

Uruguay and a hopefully healthy Salah/Egypt should easily qualify from that group.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cafu with his Alltime Great lineup.

[​IMG]

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol I can't believe I am saying this but Austria has more star power and missed out.

Arnie will be sorely missed.

20. Raz

Raz Member

Would be shocked if Uruguay didn't finish first with at least 7 points. As far as I can see, other than Salah, Egypt lacks qualitiy on every part of the field, so we gotta hope he's there. Egypt plays Uruguay first, probably without Salah, so that should be an automatic loss. The second game against Russia will be the decisive one. If Salah is healthy and plays, not even the refs can save Putin. If he doesn't... welp.

They do, just thought Russia would at least show a fight against a team that hasn't qualified for the World Cup in 20 years.