1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're playing the greatest team in NBA history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, May 20, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We were playing the best historic Defense in one Quarter and mediocre Defense the previous Quarter.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

No they're not. Curry is injured. Igoudala missed a game and has been missing in games. Draymond is bored. Klay's feelings are hurt. Durant is feeling lonely.

3. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

We're playing ourselves???

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. blade andrews

blade andrews Member

No. You are wrong. They are not. They weren't even the best team OF THE YEAR when some were deeming them the best team in NBA history due to a regular season record. Narrators choose their narrative, for all the fools to repeat. They are beatable, always have been.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No we didn’t

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Without Iguodala, we're playing against the best women's team in history.

DavidRocket and topfive like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He’s completely wrong but let him have his wrong opinion
    It’s not a fake opinion like ESPN

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Jalen knows the truth.

Starting at the 6:00 mark.

Seriously? The Greatest Team Ever Assembled in This or Any Other Universe™ can't win a crucial home playoff game after they hold the opposition to ZERO points in the first 5 minutes?

Some of you guys need to spit out the Kool-Aid.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

One of the greatest. I still don’t buy this greatest talk. They’re perfectly built for today’s game. In a big man era, they’d get bullied. I don’t even think they’d beat the Bulls either. Harper on Curry. Jordan on Klay, pip on KD and Rodman on green. Kukoc better 6th man than iggy. Longley better than any of their bigs. Bulls would take them out. Phil better than Kerr.

smp and hakeem94 like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't see how Luc Longley even sees the floor, and the Triangle has been kind of a disaster against modern NBA defenses.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes the Dream Team only won once, but they also only played once. They were perfect, never lost a game.

25-3 is a great run through the playoffs. How about Jordan's Bulls with two three-peats? That's much more impressive than 25-3.

If you are going to quote stats, then there's really only one relevant one. Jordan: 6 for 6 in NBA finals with 6 Finals MVP awards. He simply did not lose.

That's the major difference between the Bulls and everyone else, they had Jordan. If you think that Durant or Curry is anywhere in the same stratosphere as Jordan then you are either new to the NBA game or you don't understand it at all.

Likewise, your statement that Thompson or Green are all-time top 100 cast serious doubts on your NBA knowledge. Same for the idea that Iggy is top 200 ever.

The rules were different in the past from what they are today so that makes comparisions difficult. What I can tell you is that the Bulls, Lakers, Celtics or Sixers would have a much better chance of playing by today's rules that the Warriors would have playing in the rules from the '70s and '80s. If you couldn't handcheck or bump Jordan or Magic, they would have been unstoppable. Not only would many of the tactics used to defend against Jordan (i.e. the Jordan Rules) be illegal today, many of them would be flagarant fouls. On the flip side, if you allow a big strong guard like Derek Harper to hand check Curry for 94 feet, he'd have real difficulty getting to his spots on the floor and for creating space to shoot.

Bottom line is that the Warriors are a great team but not the best ever. It's still yet to be decided if they are even better than the current Rocket's team. If they are, it isn't that huge of a difference. Do you thing that this current Rockets team is one of the greatest ever?

GS is really good. Houston is really good. One of them will win, one will lose. Neither will be greatest ever and neither will be exposed as frauds. Just two really good teams playing and somebody's got to win and somebody's got to lose.

If I had to pick a greatest team ever, as much as it would hurt, I'd have to go with the '86 Celtics. I hated that team with all my being but they were undeniably great. Really big, physical, everyone could shoot, great rebounding team, unbelievable passing, incredible toughness , depth and off the charts basketball IQ.

The 2nd Bulls Three-peat (with Rodman) and one of the Laker's Showtime teams would also be in the Conversation.

DavidRocket and Rashmon like this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes, a triangle offense featuring Carmelo Anthony didn't work. A triangle offense built around Jordan/Pippen or Shaq/Kobe would work in any timeframe.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Would It? Phil Jackson's last cranky stand seemed to based on the pillar that you couldn't win championships without some form of post play and this fad DAntoni offense would never work out.

I see the 90's bulls getting math' d to death by teams that willingly give up Jordan turnaround jumpers for open 3's and absolutely brutalizing Longley or whatever plodding high post player Phil rolls out with. They're just not playable against small ball teams.

Of course the Bulls could counter with their own small ball team featuring.....Steve Kerr

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They are the most talented team ever. They won 73 games and added the clear #2 player in the NBA, nothing close to that has ever happened before.

Greatest team ever comes if they win several more championships.

hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  15. houseofglass21

Greatest team in NBA history? Not even close. GSW is not the 93' Bulls or the 96' Celtics, or the 94' Rockets (to me that's the greatest team in NBA history - Dream, Smith, Horry, Elie, Thorpe, Cassell, Bullard, Herrera, fuhgeddaboutit).

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not even sure I'd give them most talented team ever, assuming you adjust for the era. Obviously today's athletes have a huge advantage over guys in the '60s who drank beer at halftime and thought 10 jumping jacks was a good daily off-season routine.

Adjusting for the era, though, the '86 Celtics team that beat us in the finals had Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge and Bill Walton. That's 5 HOFers and Ainge, who was no slouch. Some of those earlier Celtics teams had 8 or 9 future Hall of Famers, including possibly the greatest defensive player ever in Bill Russell.

Even in the last decade, the Lakers, Spurs and Heat have all won two titles, same as Golden State.

One of the most talented teams ever? Sure, they have 4 all-stars. Best team ever? Nah. Maybe one of the best 10 teams ever.

And yeah, best regular-season record ever. But they didn't win a chip that year, so it's not even the best season ever.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Can't really count the old Celtics teams, the league had way less teams and talent dispersion back then. The Warriors team is ridiculous, think about it:
    1) 2 time MVP and greatest shooter of all time
    2) 1 time MVP and Finals MVP, also the clear #2 player in the NBA
    3) The greatest catch and shoot player of all time (yes, greatest. He scored 60 points on 11 dribbles. C'mon now).
    4) A DPOY who also happens to be the team's best facilitator
    5) Oh yea and don't forget about a 6th man (now starter) who has a Finals MVP under his belt.

Historically I just don't see that kind of resume for individual players on the other "talented team" candidates. Remember, when KD joined the Warriors, it was the only time in the HISTORY of the NBA that a team had two MVPs under the age of 30. Now that's no longer true cause Curry just turned 30, but he's still obviously very much in his prime.

Greatest team ever? Like I said they have a decent amount of more winning to do and god I hope they don't end up being in that conversation. But most talented ever is hard to argue against.

BTW, in your Celtics comparison, Curry and KD will both likely go down as better than everyone on that team outside of Bird.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Maybe, maybe not. But if you could somehow match that '85-'86 Celtics team against this year's Warriors team in a 7-game series, nobody could convince me the Warriors would win that series. Those Celtics would play the kind of tough physical game that makes the Dubs melt like cupcake frosting (like last night's game, for example).

19. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

and the Rockets are 2-2 against themselves this series....

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Here are some facts about Warriors runs: The Warriors had outscored their opponent by more than 10 points in the third quarter 30 times this season, playoffs included. They had won all 30 games. Since their championship season in 2014-15, they’d outscored their opponent by at least 15 points in the third quarter 51 times. They had won all 51 games. And since that same season, they’d outscored opponents in a single quarter by 15 or more at home in 68 times. They had won all 68 games. (Basketball-Reference doesn’t have stats about Curry shimmies, but I’m guessing they were, like, 84-0 in those games.)

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/5/23/17384316/warriors-rockets-game-4-third-quarter-run