1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gordon: "We can’t isolate as much against a good defensive team. I don’t care who you are."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drogba, May 15, 2018.

1. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Nick Wright said we ran 45 iso's last night and we usually only do 20-23 iso plays a night. He thinks we can win playing iso ball if its, how we been winning all year which is only 20-23 times a game. He said it was iso ball on steroids last night lol.

D-rock, apollo33 and htownrocket87 like this.
  2. lionaire

lionaire Member

Yeah he’s a goner this summer

D-rock likes this.
  3. SORF

SORF Member

Nick Wright has a point. Here is my 2 cents on the matter. Our two stars play more ISO ball when the bench and the other starters aren't hitting their shots. Maybe the other Rockets need to step up and hit their shots...make their layups...hit their defensive assignments. Stop blaming the 2 stars for using their strengths in ISO ball when the rest of the team is not doing their job. JMHO.

#83 SORF, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Bengchu and adw like this.
  4. seeingred

seeingred Member

GSW takes away the Pick and Roll when they switch. It's why Clint had a quiet night. We run PnR 80% of the time so it definitely takes us out of rhythm. The way we take advantage of switching defenses is to get their weakest player in Isolation against the MVP. It's a good strategy and made us the best regular season team in the league. We're not going to become a motion offense between now and Game 2. This is who we are. Play better defense, get stops, run in transition, and FINISH AT THE RIM LUC.

D-rock, rocks123 and HP3 like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is literally the only logical conclusion. The Rockets are trying to run plays that they do well, and not run plays that they don't do well.

The iso whining today has been unfathomable. It was the only thing that worked last night!

adw likes this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he did yesterday. 3 of his past 5 games have been decent. But he is right, we need to attack the whole Warriors defence with different offensive sets

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He's missing wide open i have time to set my feet and line up my elbow three pointers.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

But when we do he needs to show up bottom line.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

point taken, but watching the game last night, we were playing ISO from the beginning. I never saw us play with ball movement. It was like we made up our mind that we were gonna play iso-ball from the opening tip. So i dont think you can say it was just as simple as the bench not making shots.

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

1) Gordon is right.
    2) Gordon is also a huge part of the problem. Same goes for Mbah a Moute and most other role players.

#2 is the more serious problem. Fix that, and #1 will take care of itself to some extent.

SORF and J Sizzle like this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

he looked good yesterday, he just didn't get the ball enough. We need more off ball movement and passes for easy baskets, there were a few yesterday and they looked dangerous when doing it

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

for all intensive purposes

13. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

We started off the game very strong and we were running straight ISOs, and we got complacent with it. Eric, PJ, Luc all looked out of rhythm

D-rock likes this.
  14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

smh the warriors and media got us not believing in ourselves. playing right into their hands off a one game loss...not good. dudes need to be mentally stronger than that

D-rock, Patience and Bengchu like this.
  15. csc177

csc177 Member

So it begins... rumblings from the inside now...we might get swept!

Will Lebron join the rockets if we get swept?

D-rock likes this.
  16. macan

macan Member

at this rate, EG will become brewer 2.0 real soon

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I do not think that's true at all, even by eye test. There were many possessions where they tried to set multiple off ball screens for Green or Gordon but Golden state sniffed it out from miles away and just switched and denied them the ball, which led to Harden or Paul just dribbling around and eventually had to iso.

Our bread and butter plays with dribble hand offs did not work at all last night, everything was stopped, so we had to iso

D-rock and Drogba like this.
  18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

The Rockets weren't just doing iso ball last night, but some sort of weird Steve Francis tribute in which the ballhandler pounded the air out for 20 seconds before heaving up a contested 3 (or passing off to a role player with 2 seconds left so they could heave a 3). That's not the method that won them so many games this season.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly.. . . . .I know this sounds strange but . .. . we need the secondary back screen for Capela.

I think we need to move Capela to screen for Harden
    Pick Draymond while Capela rolls . . .
    Probably Gordon sets that pick .. . so the defender is a guard that switches to Capela

Rocket River

20. hakeemthagreat

I don't think you're understanding. It's the OFFENSE that's not working. EG's looks aren't really open and the lane are closed up. Even if you find someone that is contempt with standing in the corner he's still going to be standing in the corner (when he should be cutting the basket). Golden State adjusted to the way we play. MDA needs to figure out a scheme that'll actually work and get guys better looks. I don't have a problem with what EG is saying because it's truth