1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Chinese Food in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Aug 10, 2015.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Anyone heard anything about the Asia Town they're building in Katy off of the Grand Parkway?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you ever get the chance try Shaanxi Province (X'ian) cuisine. It features a lot of beef and lamb dishes and is heartier than many other Chinese cuisines. I don't know of any specific restaurants in Houston that have that style of cuisine but given the size of Houston there probably is at least one.

3. Buck Turgidson

Anyone know much about H-Mart? Bigass asian grocery just opened a store in Austin.

It has a food court:

Eateries that will be featured in the Market Eatery at Austin’s H-Mart are:
    • Sunday Bird (Korean fried chicken)
    • Sunday BBQ (Korean barbecue)
    • Snow Monster (Taiwanese shaved ice, Boba tea, waffles)
    • Sogongdong Tofu House (Korean tofu soup and comfort food)
    • Mix (Korean snack food)
    • Lai Lai (Authentic Chinese cuisine)
    • Tous Les Jours (Korean bakery)
    • Momo Sushi (Japanese sushi)

4. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, it is a chain. They have them in Naperville (Chicago). Up here they are typically crowded but dirty. I have gone a number of times but am always surprised how little I actually buy. I am not impressed but worth going to check it out if you haven’t been. Also the one up here is fairly old.

5. Buck Turgidson

Anything like the Hong Kong Market on Bellaire in Htown? I used to love walking around that place (then going for dim sum), but like you said I never bought much.

eta: only reason I'm asking is I read about it in the paper the other day and it's pretty close to my brother's house

6. Nook

Nook Member

I went to Strake Jesuit so very familiar with what you are talking about. Yes it is similar but not as impressive. There are some articles and videos of the one in Austin and it seems a lot nicer than the ones in Chicago which are basically just huge grocery stores with imported Korean goods and some fresh made food. Imagine a Fiesta Grocery Store but for Koreans.

7. Buck Turgidson

Back in the day, I'd meet my folks at their house on a Saturday/Sunday, my dad & I would have bloody marys and mom would drive us over there for dim sum. One time we had a $100 bet on which one of us could find the weirdest thing in the grocery store. I won. Frozen bull penis.

I'll check out H-mart some time.

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Nah man. The place across from Target and in the same complex as Blaze Pizza? You really vouch for it?

The best one in Sugarland used to be Hunan Empress which was off 59 and Williams Trace and in the Home Depot complex. They closed it down some years ago and now run only one location I think. It's on Westheimer (i forget the nearest street).
    But it's called Hunan Emperor. Excellent food there.

9. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yes i really vouch for it... but hey, maybe they aint your type of Chinese food.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Nah I aint a fancy boy. I'm cool with both Americanized chinese AND authentic chinese.
    I'll check the place out