1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel movie] Black Panther

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Haven't seen the movie yet, don't know if I'll get the chance to see it in theaters. But I'm curious: when does this movie take place? Before or after the events of CA: Civil War?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

After. Remember Winter Solider is in Wakanda right now after the events of Civil War.

Haymitch likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Top 3 movie for me

up there with Civil War, and Winter Soldier

Rocket River

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Does this need to be seen in IMAX or 3D? Is there a difference between those two anyway?

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I would avoid 3D because I haven't heard anything about it. With that said it was filmed on IMAX cameras, I highly recommend seeing it in IMAX standard if available (that's where I'm going).

Icehouse likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Gotta do IMAX without 3D. 3D is always worse and everyone knows it, but theaters want a reason to charge more.

Icehouse likes this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It was not filmed on IMAX cameras. It was shot with Arri Alexa XT Plus. Not a IMAX MSM 9802 or a IMAX MKIV.

It has been formatted to a IMAX aspect ratio. Have you ever watched a Nolan movie where the aspect ratio switches from where he shot with IMAX vs regular scenes? Apparently they have just done that for the whole movie here but it was not shot with an IMAX camera.

mrm32 likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think I'm going to go see this movie this weekend, I'm curious how they explain Wakanda's technological superiority despite their severe isolationism. The entirety of human history tells us that severe isolationism leads to falling far behind the rest of the world technologically and politically, so hopefully they have a good answer to this like incorporating some kind of mysticism or explaining the tech away by saying aliens gave it to them or whatever. Either explanation would be sufficient and are options already established within the MCU. So long as they have a decent explanation for it then it'll be okay. Should be interesting.

amaru likes this.
  9. amaru

amaru Member

I loved it. Nice mix of Super hero movie combined with social commentary (Similar to Luke Cage, but it didn't go as far.....however Luke Cage had more time to drill down into it.). I thought they did an excellent job of making Killmonger someone the audience can emphatize (sp) with on some level even though he was clearly off the rails. Loved the twitter and instagram posts of black people going all out when they showed up lol.

I'm ready for part 2.

Dave2000 likes this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks. That makes it more interesting and now i feel like I have to see it before Infinity Wars.

I just wondered if this was like an origin story or if it's just something that happened in the past, like Captain Marvel taking place in the 90s.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The critics that were given early access to the movie were shown the regular version. If they were trying to show off the best version of the movie and it isnt 3D, probably safe to just purchase a regular ticket.

Early screenings of Ragnarok was shown the 3D version for comparison.

Icehouse likes this.
  12. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Just saw it. Loved it. The girl that plays Shuri is a scene stealer.

Only gripe with the movie is I wish Chadwick would project his voice more when he is talking. A lot of the times it felt like he was talking under his breath. When he HAS to get loud it sounds great though.

Curious if Marvel will ever release the original four hour cut of the film. I’d watch it

seclusion, amaru and Jontro like this.
  13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Thanks for the responses on what version to see. I'm taking a 5 year old. Maybe I'll stick with the regular one to avoid those glasses.

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

There were a few scenes that would've made 3D good, but nothing like Ragnarok and Guardians 2

Icehouse likes this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

My kids have seen Guardians of the Galaxy 1/2 and some other stuff that isn't obviously appropriate for young kids. Definitely no Deadpool or Saving Private Ryan or anything, lol.

I try not to overdo it. Haven't let them see Wonder Woman yet for example (I haven't seen it either)....

Do you think this movie is 5-8 year old appropriate?

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

My misunderstanding, I read conflicting information but I'll take your word for it. What's the resolution difference between the two? I'm sure it'll look quite good regardless.

17. Bandwagoner

It's a huge difference in sensor (or film format) size. The IMAX gives you the huge sensor feeling (think about the cockpit scene in Dunkirk). Also, Nolan shot on film because of the image quality still available.

It is a FACT however that you get to see a different version on the IMAX screen which is value for money unlike other movies which just play the same file on a larger screen.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Gotcha, I haven't seen Dunkirk yet -- I'd been meaning to since we just got a 4K TV recently but I haven't gotten around to it.

19. Bandwagoner

With the large format you can just shove the camera right in the actors face.

[​IMG]

seclusion likes this.
  20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the 3d was good. saw it last night.