1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Mutual Interest between Joe Johnson and Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 2, 2018.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Or okc

slothy420, saleem, Fyreball and 2 others like this.
  2. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Glad to see you’re in good form. Made me laugh. If he joins us let’s hope Johnson learns to stroke it from deep again.

Purvis2Short, Tfor3 and D-rock like this.
  3. finsraider

finsraider Member

This year seems like an aberration for his 3 point shooting. All of his other shooting stats look fine. He's good in the paint (50%) and an above average midrange shooter (46%).

Shooting is the one thing that generally ages well in the NBA, so I'm more inclined to think this is situation specific or just random than a general decline.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think Iso Joe is the best fit for this team. He's old, he's slow, he can't play defense, and he ISOs a lot when we have two of the best playmakers in the league. We don't need him. He's just a big name that makes us look scarier on paper. That said, he's always been a smart player, his poor shooting this year seems to be an outlier related to sample size, and he's always been clutch. I'd be fine with signing him just to keep him away from the Warriors.

Remember when our third string was embarrassingly bad? Like couldn't hold on to 20 point leads in the fourth quarter bad? With the additions of Green, Wright, and possibly Johnson I think we could put those days to bed.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Bos and cleveland nah there's no playing time for him there IMO its down to the just the other 2 unless the spurs throw the name in the hat.

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Bring him in to battle David West only. Front row seat for everything else.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

What if I told you 82games.com is wrong on how they distribute positional minutes. They consider Johnson to be the nominal sf in all the lineups he shared the floor with Ingles, even though Ingles played moreso as a wing (3 and D).

8. threepointshot3

Marco Stallion Belinelli is about to be bought out by Atlanta i rather have him then a old JJ

9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I think your mostly right. I have followed JJoe since Arkansas and D'Antoni. He wants minutes but I think the problem has just been disinterest. We would not have that problem here. He wants to win. If we were relying on him to start the weaknesses would show. In reserve minutes he can be a huge asset and enable us to rest players down the stretch and provide a spark. As you said, he is smart, he plays our style, and he can create for himself. Here he would function as a 3&D wing that is FAR better than our end of the bench players. As a 10th player on our team, I think we would be hard pressed to find a better one in the league. He is finishing a 2/22M deal. He knows he is never getting that contract again. He may never play again if he wins this year. For once we can fill out the roster with people we can play

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Bellinelli has the 3pt shot and with Joe we're banking on his play-off performance 2-3 years ago...he is a veteran though. I'm torn between the two. I'm leaning towards Joe, but who knows what he has left. He's quite old and hasn't done anything this year. Belli has.

11. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Johnson pushed Utah over the Clippers LAST year.

Evidently he had a hand injury this season which correlated with his shooting slump

mikol13 and pippendagimp like this.
  12. csc177

csc177 Member

Backup center and Scoring Vet? Let’s go to war!!

JJ and BW more tools for MDA’s magic.

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He had a injury to his shooting wrist. If you look at his per month stats he shot 12% in Nov, 24% in dec, 35% in Jan from 3

DonKnock, saleem and pippendagimp like this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wonder which of the 2 fits with us better chemistry and locker room wise

JJ i like b/c he can fill in for ryno

bellinelli b/c he's good insurance when cp3/ego sit out w/ injury

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

How the tides have changed smh

DonKnock likes this.
  16. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

You know I might eat some crow here I made some statements against the trade, but now I reflect.....when PJ Tucker is playing 40 minute nights with 4 pts???? There just might be a spot for good old Joe....

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Where does Joe Johnson play? When Ariza is healthy Green barely sees the floor or doesn’t at all and at this point he’s probably better than Joe is. But if he wants to come here, sure why not.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He plays Anderson's minutes... he gives Anderson a break when he's off it's that simple.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. mockster

mockster Member

MDA like I'll make a 10 man rotation for my boy joe Johnson

If MDA wants to keep a 9 man rotation fine but I wish he would try other players when some are struggling offensively.

Warriors do it and nick young wouldn't even start on rockets and he comes in for warriors and does work

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s only that simple if MDA actually expands his rotation. If we take advantage of the depth, perfect.