1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2017-18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Great trade idea, love idea of addin Simmons and Speights but you really think Orlando gives Simmons away for garbage and no picks? Magic want to rebuild around Isaac with lottery picks, complementary players and dump contracts but Simmon’s contract is not nearly as onerous as Fournier, Biyombo or Vuc.

Would love you to be right and Morey makes this move of course.

#681 D-rock, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ok, just riffing off of one of my initial trade proposals. _holic mentioned Shelvin Mack and that is interesting.

To ORL: Black & Troy Williams
    To HOU: Mack and Speights.

Mack is your backup insurance PG and Speights is an insurance C.
    Orlando does the deal to cut costs and get off of an extra year of Mack.

But the key aspect of this, is the Rockets ADD salary with Mack. And then at the end of the season you could aggregate Mack+Anderson+Nanu+Zhou (plus 1sts) to be able to trade for LeBron on the opt-in (without moving Gordon or Tucker). I didn't think that was possible but it might be. Someone might want to double check that math though, but I think it is really close.

I find that move very interesting. And it all starts with ADDING salary to this team. Though I think this move puts the Rockets in the LT and they probably dont want to do that. That said, who knows how many chess moves Morey has planned out.

3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

For this to occur, we need LeBron to opt into his $35,607,969 deal for 2018-19. Based on salary matching rules, we'd need to send out $28,506,375.20 (125%+100k for tax-paying teams).

Ryno+Mack is $1,984,829.20 short. Adding both Qi and Williams gets us there, but we'd need to guarantee a large portion of their deals, since non-guaranteed money no longer counts towards salary matching in trades, IIRC.

Whether or not Cleveland would accept this pu-pu platter is a different question, but yes, this should work salary-wise.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think yours is the first trade proposal that adds salary .... everyone else is trying to get rid of it to create "cap space" .... but they don't realize they aret creating cap space as the team will start the offeason over the cap ..... which is great because they can aggregate salaries to bring on a big contract and keep all their key parts.

If Lebron insisted upon Houston or opting out , I think Cleveland would play ball with whatever Morey was able to make work salary wise and take whatever draft picks they could get because in the scenario where Lebron opts out , they get .... nothing and a nickel on the dollar is better than nothing.

5. Andre Barrett

Andre Barrett Member

There have been a lot of rumors that the Lakers are looking to move Julius Randle. He will be a restricted free agent at the end of the year and the Lakers don't want to add any additional salaries as they are looking to pursue superstars. Here is my proposal.

Rockets receive: Julius Randle

Lakers receive: Tarik Black, Chinanu Onuaku and our 2020 first round pick (I know we would have to renounced some protections on the 2018 pick for this to happen)

I love this trade for the Rockets. Randle is still just 23 years old, has a 19.15 PER and is averaging 24 points and 12 boards per 40. He fills a need at the 4, as we really don't have a back up for Ryno. I would bring Randle off the bench this year, simply because I think Ryno would be so shook from a benching and we can't risk Ryno becoming truly untradeable next year. I still think Randle has more room to grow and could become a nice complement to Capela and solidify our front court for years to come. Additionally, Randle could play some small ball 5, when Nene is resting or not needed. I would love to see the Rockets do a trade like this that both helps them this year and allows them to continue to be relevant for years to come in a Spurs like manner.

I think the price for Randle will certainly be a 1st rounder, the question is will another team give up a more valuable 1st than ours. I'm not that worried about Randle receiving a large offer in free agency, as 1. he is restricted 2. there aren't a lot of teams with significant cap space 3. there are a lot of solid (not great) free agents this year.

Unfortunately, the Rockets are all in on the Lebron James to Houston idea, so I don't think they will be looking to add future salary like this deal would. But I think this is a rare opportunity to steal a talented young player. Apologies if someone has already posted this trade.

6. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Rodney Hood

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Someone needs to dig-up the Real Men of Genius Mr. Really Unrealistic Trade Proposer sound byte... "We'll throw in the trainer..."

D-rock likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

If adding salary is the strategy then Orlando is best trade partner because they want to shed salary and long term contracts. Cleveland is going to want contracts they can control because they will not be a FA destination once Lebron leaves.

Deuce and jch1911 like this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets are going going to give up first round picks to attain young PF then I prefer Aaron Gordon. Or Detroit’s Stanley Johnson. Athleticism, length, spacing and elite defense are more important than adding another scorer.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You forget I was the one preaching we don't trade Ryno for expiring deals - They have to expire the following season.

They wouldn't care what poo platter the Rockets sent them , the picks acquired are the prize even if they were poor #1's.
    They'd also most certainly tank .... Assuming they took Ryno , they'd move him the following season to some team looking for expiring deals for another draft pick.

Lebron leaves Cleveland They are in full rebuild mode playing nothing but young guys - See Phx now.

D-rock likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

To Houston:

Vince Carter
    Kosta Koufas

To Sacramento:

Ryan Anderson
    Chinanu Onuaku
    Miami 2018 2nd round pick

Houston picks up an expiring contract in Carter and an easily moveable contract in Koufas. (1 year 8.4 million) while clearing Anderson's cap clogging contract. Carter gives us another shooter with experience and Koufas a backup Center to replace Black with.

Sacramento gets a productive floor stretching 4 they can swap with ZBo, a prospect in Onuaku, and the Heat's 2nd round pick.

12. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Problem is that we need Anderson's cap clogging contract just not Anderson. Without it, we can do nothing. That 20M in contract is our ONLY ticket to a 3rd star. Simply picking up an expiring does nothing for a team operating above the cap. The cap will not significantly be increasing over the next few years. Many teams are going to be stuck in the luxury tax for some time.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No no .... we have to create cap space. (sarcasm).

That $2m under the cap that shedding Anderson gives you means .... you just screwed yourself.

This has been explained ad nauseam around here for weeks .... People just aren't paying attention.

They should read go read that CBA explanation so they comprehend what Morey's options are ....

14. ilias

ilias Member

As has been discussed before, the only way to trade Anderson is to take 1 or 2 bad contracts back. Some options below:

Portland: Harkless and Leonard for Anderson
    Sacramento: Randolph and Temple for Anderson and a 2nd round pick
    Wolves: Dieng, Mohammed for Anderson and a 2nd round pick
    Orlando: Biyombo, Hezonja for Anderson and Black
    Charlotte: Batum for Anderson (Hornets save $30m)
    Suns: Chandler, Dudley for Anderson, Black and 1st round pick
    Jazz: Favors, Burks for Anderson and a 1st round pick

15. Jimmy Chitwood

Just throwing a name out there. What would it take to get Anthony Toliver from the Pistons? He's a vet, shooting 41% from three, and a big.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

OFF SEASON TRADE

LeBron - Wade - TThompson for Anderson Capela and Ego

If Cavs are going to blow it up

LeBron + Love for Anderson Capela and Ego

Rocket River

17. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Just realized that Mack's 2018-19 salary is only $1 MM guaranteed, so we'd have to guarantee the rest of his deal as well.

Alternatively, if we absolutely cannot find a taker for Ryno (and still have enough assets to give CLE), we could instead trade both Gordon and Tucker (who I assume are both positive trade assets). Mack, Gordon, and Tucker get us to $27.7 MM in salary, which is just short of matching. The revised deal would be:

Mack+Tucker+EGo+small deal for LeBron

EGo and Tucker are both on value deals and could both be routed to whatever contender is willing to give up a pick for them. Occurring after the 2018 draft, we'd have our 2019, 2021, and 2023 firsts at disposal as well.

After re-signing our free agents with bird rights, we'd have:

Capela/Nene
    LeBron/Anderson
    Ariza/Williams
    Harden/Green
    CP3

And every ring chasing vet lining up to go to war against the Dubs

18. basketballholic

Don't have to guarantee mack's deal if trade made at end of June.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for running the numbers. I knew it was close. You are right, who can say on the pu-pu platter. Rockets argument is here is our 2019 and 2021 1sts to aid in your rebuild. Cavs played ball with Miami in a S&T and I am guessing they would be smart and do it here.

j@amc likes this.
  20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

If we do this deal at the end of June, there are a few complications:

1. We are subject to the hard cap ($125.3 MM). The combination of deals I proposed would get us dangerously close/past this number.
    2. Even if we don’t hit the hard cap, we’d be pushed into the luxury tax for the 2017-18 year. This isn’t a big deal now, but becomes a huge factor in a few years with the repeater tax

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.