1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bill Simmons: "Houston has a top 3 worst crowd"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nivos, Jan 18, 2018.

?

Is Simmons right?

1. Yes

387 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Media conspiracy

24 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

It's the culture. I try to stand up and get into it but when nobody around you cares and everyone behind you wants you to sit down it just takes it out of you

smitheygerard, htownrox1 and Reeko like this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

we have a later start tonight. lets see how it looks

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

never heard this take before

4. MystikArkitect

No night life around Toyota, make downtown a better place to hang out and keep tabs on who’s filling what seats. If corporate shills aren’t using their tickets then release them and give them to someone else.

Seriously this problem isn’t that hard to solve, if the powers that be wanted to solve it then they would. They don’t care about optics. As long as the cells on the spreadsheet turn green it’s all good.

Rockets Rule likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

theres actually plenty of nightlife around toyota center. dont think thats part of the problem at all

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agree with Simmons .

Look , I'm a rowdy and would agree that even we aren't helping that much . A lot of what we do is like background noise and we struggle to get the fans involved . The Romp ( where we go around the stadium before the game ) is great , but In game effect leaves something to be desired .

Most people that go to the game ( it seems ) have no interest in cheering , or frankly in the outcome . It feels like people just come to sit down , eat their food , and leave as soon as possible . That's speaking for the lower bowl.

It's a problem with TC , the atmosphere , and the fans that have those seats .

I guarantee you that on Saturday the stadium will be full , but there will be tons and tons of warriors fans there ... And they won't have a problem getting there on time , because they want to see their guys play.

In sum , **** the Texans

IvanLCPM likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I never sit near them, I sit on the opposite side of the stadium, but they’re cool with me

Louka likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

bro, sometimes I’ve been at a game and it felt like u were the only one yelling in a quiet library...sometimes it feels like u bring too much attention to yourself by cheering

9. rockets13champs

Zach: " In your heart of hearts do you believe in the rockets"
    Bill: "No."

10. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Even witnessing an environment like Milwaukee makes me envious, no lie. We have to do better. Raucous home crowds and rabid fan support worked wonders for the Astros.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

in the playoffs, the TC can get pretty loud, atleast the games ive been to the last couple of years. playoffs and games against the likes of GS are probably the best for obvious reasons.

Its not like games during the regular season and week for the stros are packed. Of course in the playoffs minute maid will be packed and loud though. that just goes with the importance of the games being played.

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

The Sad part is that if you focus in on the Milwaukee crowd sometimes its only half full but they are loud and rowdy. Makes all the difference.

Reeko likes this.
  13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yes, our crowd is trash. I blame the ticketing scheme and Houston traffic for that. Tickets are too expensive in the lower bowl, where the noise is felt the most. Corporate folks show up late or don't use their tickets at all, leaving huge vacanct patches of seats.

People would hate this, but what if they stopped concessions sales 15 min prior to tip off, and then didnt reopen until 5 min after game started? Maybe it would encourage people to get to their seats. Or maybe expand the waiting service for concessions so that people can order from their seats. Some of these ideas have been discussed in a previous thread about making TC better.

But Simmons is right. Houston crowd is trash.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

You nailed it square on the head.

It’s not just the 1 game you went to. It’s every game.

15. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

True, but what about the scene at G5 of last year's OKC series? We had Travis Scott perform pre-game and a surprisingly large portion of the arena was still empty. It was embarrassing.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean it was on a tuesday night. seems to be a recurring theme for these weekday games and what were all trying to discuss here

17. 1510 Polk St

1510 Polk St Member

Bill Simmons is 100% spot on with this, it is disappointing and embarrassing.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

pause at the 12 second mark...yes, that was our crowd to start game 6...embarrassing

I remember Mike Breen pointing out how empty the place was

19. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Because Les Alexander was too busy catering to the Chinese Market! Kept changing the uniforms the logod . Houston! We have no identity!

tinman likes this.
  20. FearTheBeardJH

Rockets would perform better in San Diego.

Elephant810 likes this.