1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Bad Roster Building- thats why rick smith is finally gone

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And this year, where the offensive system was clicking on all cylinders with a rookie QB and he deserves no credit... got it.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Never said that. But you want to knock down straw men instead of actually have a discussion. Got it.

4. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, he was scapegoated and part of the problem but the Gaine hire tells me it's gonna be more of the same.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Of course you weren't in the front office and have no idea what you are talking about.

For all we know, Brian Gaine thought XSF was trash. It is comical when people try and pretend they were in the war room.

If you have sources, let us know who those are.

texian likes this.
  6. Mr. Clutch

Yeah I'm sure Rick Smith wanted to get rid of all the players he got with Kubiak and replace them with guys for OBrien's system over the objection of O'Brien and Gaine.

We probably got XSF because OBrien was happy with the Savage and Mallet options

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

2014 - 372 points scored 14th in NFL
    2015 - 339 points scored 21st in NFL
    2016 - 279 points scored 28th in NFL

2017 - 338 points scored 17th in NFL

2017 w/Watson on pace for 491 points scored 1st in NFL
    2017 wo/Watson on pace for 218 points 32nd in NFL

When you look at how the team's offense has done since they hired that offensive guru you see a major outlier but for whatever reason BOB fanboys want to ignore the bulk of what BOB has done to focus on the outlier and give him credit for it. What Watson did was Watson being amazing, it wasn't due to ANYTHING BOB was doing. BOB has proven that he's an incompetent offensive coach.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes you did. You said the offense would have been just as good without BOB thanks to Watson.

Your entire premise here is a straw man that keeps getting altered as soon as somebody points out every fallacy of a point you make, especially when you start deciding who to credit and who to blame.

texian likes this.
  9. conquistador#11

so they made up the whole thing about cancer?
    like I've said a couple of times from the diagnosis forward I doubt rick even thinks about football.
    According to the local experts, filo was a BOB guy and we were finally seeing change in the way texans ran things!
    this from draft day analysis 2014, not mine.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You have absolutely no clue about any of your so called opinions.

Joshfast likes this.
  11. conquistador#11

Sometimes they don't pan out. But what we do know from B>Ob himself is that he likes the power scheme because that's what they do in NE and the line in NE can play all over the field. It's one of the reasons b.o.b salivated about Derek newton, "he can play up and down the line." Ironically enough, Watson is a monster in play action and we got back to running more zone with watson.

here is the analysis from lance on filo 2014, but I like the one where o'brian is gone don't expect a qb selected in 2017.

u'a-Filo is one of the most complete guards in this draft with good foot quickness, plus lateral movement, power and an ability to play in any scheme. Su'a-Filo rarely oversets in pass protection and is able to redirect when players get to his edge. I have some concerns about lack of length as I believe there will be NFL interior linemen who are able to neutralize his power by getting into his chest quickly with their hands.

He really jumps off the field at you when asked to make 2nd level blocks since he is able to get up on LBs quickly, break down and get guys blocked. Even more impressive is that he shows the foot quickness and timing necessary to be a plus zone blocker which is rare for such a powerful player.

GREAT pick with Su'a-Filo. My top rated guard on the board. He's powerful, mean and has very good feet.

— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) May 9, 2014

12. Mr. Clutch

I said Watson will be good without BOB.

13. Mr. Clutch

The problem is that the draft and free agency misses have been most of the time rather than just sometimes under OBrien. He's just not good at evaluating and valuing talent. Neither was Rick.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You’ve said a lot of things that seem to have zero basis, thought, analysis, or backing.

Basically a bunch of bullshit.

15. texian

texian Member

Local sports gossip bloggers/radio guys are now selling that Brian Gaine was responsible for Brock Osweiler.

You need to get with the program, man!

Not Lance's finest moment, selling what was sold to him. Texans talked about trading back into the first to draft Garoppolo, but didn't because... you know... the QB guru didn't want a QB. :rolleyes:

No, O'Brien was leaving until Rick's wife got sick.

But yes, the roster has gotten worse over last couple of years and that falls at the feet of the GM.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Actually he said that Watson was trash.

17. Mr. Clutch

So it's BS to think Watson would be good without OBrien

18. Mr. Clutch

Yeah I was wrong on that prediction, so what?

OBrien thought keenum was trash, but that Hoyer, mallet, Savage and Osweiler were awesome, and he was rewarded with an extension.

OBrien can't evaluate talent. He can't identify the best QB on his own roster. It's a problem

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You were basically this adamant that DW wasn't ready and not worth even picking up without giving up draft picks *shrug*

20. Mr. Clutch

Not sure if you're quoting btg, but I wasn't happy with the trade up because I felt we could suck this year and it would potentially be a very high pick that we desperately need to fill holes. I would have preferred waiting to see who fell to our pick

That said he has been worth it. Trading Brock with a second rounder was really stupid on OBriens part though. That can be a very good player.