1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros interested in Yu Darvish?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

And we’ve acquired another starter who will allows us to use Peacock/Morton/McCullers in the bullpen again during the playoffs if needed. Don’t see your point.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

WTF do they expect him to say??? I hate crap reporting.

adw likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Brian mctaggart is crap. He frequently goes on rants about how he’s “objective” and not an astros fan too lol.

I prefer feigen and mcclain.

4. Buck Turgidson

Tags just reports what the organization tells him. Not unlike the other reporters you mentioned.

Astrofan59 and underrated015 like this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Pancakes has been useless since the Oilers left town... he's been on cruise control since he knows he has a hall of fame vote...

6. Buck Turgidson

His weekly NFL-wide reporting in the Chron or the Post used to be outstanding, but you're right about him after that. He started slobbering over Tennessee for a while, right after they moved there.

7. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I saw the post season where the Astros won it all. The above strategy seemed to work out ok

8. Buck Turgidson

Again...

They play 162 games before the playoffs. Playoff ball is not regular season ball. Have yall never watched ball before?

Why do YOU think the Astros just traded for a starting pitcher who threw 200 innings last year?

9. texans1095

texans1095 Member

It's fair to say the bullpen was bad during the postseason. But for a good chunk of the season (until a number of starters went on the DL and guys in the pen were forced to throw more and more innings) they were a really good bullpen.

SS0101 and vince like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

So, is this going to be the norm now?

Basing all decisions on simply how teams look in the playoffs?

I guess people really were tuned out for the marathon 162 game regular season that went from April till October.

No Worries likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Starters averaged 5.5 innings in the regular season. You take out the aces and the No. 2's, and 5 innings is already the norm for most starters.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure... but the context he was discussing was playoffs. They weren't using starters out of the bullpen in the regular season, and the bullpen actually did its job quite frequently.

13. 713

713 Member

Is Yu Darvish still on the table for the Stros?

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not going to use starters 1-5 as relievers in regular season as season is too long and has too few breaks. I think going forward, we will see teams use its 6-10 starters more in relief as traditional bullpen arms will get chewed up if inning load on pen keeps increasing like it has the last two years to try to mimic the playoffs. Difficulty will be keeping their arms stretched out. I'm hoping Peacock is used mostly in 3-inning or more stints with at least 3 days rest to keep his arm somewhat ready for when he is needed to start a game.

I'm guessing no.

15. pw1993

pw1993 Member

I can see, too, how there will be about 28 guys on the '25-man roster', with ~3 guys on the DL at any given point, whether for rest or for legitimate injury. If there is an argument for adding Darvish at this point, it probably comes down to the idea of having one to two of the core 5 starters on the DL at any given time by design, plus keeping him away from NYY.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am confident that we will continue to see the traditional bullpen dynamic during the regular season over the next 10+ seasons.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Which traditional bullpen dynamic?

18. vince

vince Member

I’d guess for a way below market salary. So unless Yu Darvish really wanted to come to the Astros, he’s probably not coming to the Astros.

19. Jeremy Williams

At this point it would almost have to be at less than 12 mil per year. It's practically zero % that Yu comes here.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Long guys , set up guys, closers. In other words the exact same dynamic using the same types of traditional roles that have been occurring for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.