1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OPRAH 2020?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jan 8, 2018.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well she is free to practice law right now

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Stop putting words in my mouth

We're talking about winning elections.

You don't need one degree to win

Talking about moving goal posts

I didn't know presidents built bridges

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm talking about showing a degree of competency to deserve managing the world's largest bureaucracy and commanding the world's most powerful military.

Showing that you earned a high level skill through your own merit and hard work is a significant sign of competency.

I know it's something you don't have so you will put it down as worthless.

Who has the most relatable upbringing(middle class public school upbringing) compared to the vast majority of Americans between these three: Bush, Hillary or Trump?

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Which one was never President

Winning a campaign is a test. Hilary lost a chess match losing every state Trump needed

The DNC has wasted over ten years trying to make her winnable.

Lucky Obama was around

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I remember when Trump was elected, I said, "Well, this is how you get President Oprah" and people laughed at me.

These threads are tedious to read, as if the election of the Orange Genius God-Emperor was somehow the beginning of the decline of the US and its standing in the world and not the result of it.

#125 Deji McGever, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    durvasa likes this.
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Is her birth certificate legit? Or is she another Kenyan plant?

7. No Worries

Are you sure? Oprah's show might have got better TV ratings than Trump.

8. No Worries

Can she read more than 3 sentences in one sitting?

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

She has a book club, so I would presume so.

10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

well tonto, "we" would be the country that elected donald trump president and is now seriously discussing the possibility of an oprah presidency.

kanye 2020!

#130 jo mama, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  11. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I'm a Trump supporter and actually love Oprah's story. Its a great American Success story and reflects
    the greatness of this country and the opportunities present here.

She is a savvy businesswoman and has amassed a movement and following due to her empathy and
    smarts.

But I'm not a fan of Trump because of who he is but what I believed he would do which includes reducing
    onerous regulation, working with private companies when crafting regulation, lower taxes and a more efficient
    government. If she was pro-entrepreneurs, commerce and wasn't pro a nanny state, I would vote for her
    regardless of party but understanding her platform is key.

The fact that our pool of leaders is not limited to the lawyers and career politicians is a great story for
    this country.

12. fchowd0311

Oh so a nuanced understanding of macro and micro economics isn't necessary, that way idiots can be dupped into supply side economics.

Let me ask you. Why do large corporations take out massive investment loans when they have billions in cash reserves that can easily finance any potential investments?

13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The fact that our pool of doctors is not limited to people with medical degrees is a great story for this country.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.

I think the biggest knock on Oprah Is one I think I just saw here
    COULD SHE ORDER THE DEATH OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE?
    I maybe wrong but I'd like to think not

Rocket River

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're not really wrong. There was definitely some forum shopping involved where she ended up NY Senator. She could have gone to Illinois where she grew up, or Massachusetts or CT where she lived for awhile, or Arkansas for that matter. If her motivation was representing her people, she would have picked a state she identified with. Instead she went to New York for political expediency. Even so, she did win the popular election and even got re-elected, which makes her service at least as legitimate as the President's.

I don't agree with your objection about the level -- straight to US Senate. By this time, she was already a prominent national figure, well-connected and well known. It wouldn't make any sense to have her 'start at the bottom.' Just like Trump went straight to run for president without first cutting his teeth on some lesser position. And for Clinton, the level makes sense on two dimensions. First, her experience was already considerable, being involved in gubernatorial and presidential issues for decades (I know you say she started as a Senator because being First Lady is merely a ceremonial position, but you know in her case she was very much involved in her husband's governing and benefited from that experience). Second, her connections and funding, name recognition, and popular polling were already stronger than any other candidate the NY Democratic Party could hope to muster, so it was a big win for them to get her. Senator or Governor was absolutely the right level for her to start at.

So, I understand the feeling that she's a made woman and that her candidacy is inorganic. Those things are true. At the same time, though, I think this is typical political sausage making and in this case that typical sausage-making is laid more bare. It is laid bare because, one, her primary benefactor is her husband where usually the benefactors of most big shots are more arms-length; and two, because Republicans seeing the threat have repeatedly highlighted the sausage-making for years on end.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So Oprah's problem is that she is too likable? You know, not being able to stomach the idea of ordering the deaths of thousands of people might not be such a bad thing. But, I don't really know that she can't do it anyway. Maybe we should have an initiation. We have our candidates be the gunman on a drive-by hit on a rival party to see if they have the nerve to pull the trigger.

17. fchowd0311

You're ignoring her upbringing. That's more important in distinguishing Bush and Hillary as from the same cloth.

They are not. Hillary was raised in a middle class public school setting and made her way up to Yale law grad lawyer which is an accomplishment higher than 99% of the general population.

18. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Don't you know that all you need is positive thinking? Oprah, like Trump, appeals to America's anti-intellectual, prosperity gospel loving, new-agey-superstition-believing electorate, which is a safe majority.

All that matters about economics and governance is POSITIVE THINKING. Oprah would assemble America's greatest positive thinkers. Everyone will get a free car once Commerce Secretary Joel Osteen blesses us all with daily affirmations of atomic-powered positive prayer.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not being blood thirsty would be a a refreshing change
    I think it would make me vote for her more
    but
    Americans are a bloodthirsty lot

Rocket River

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Seriously, where is he? He gone...:eek: