1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TX Tag / EZ Tag = what's with all these bills!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Dec 11, 2017.

1. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This entire year I've been getting bills from TX Tag and overcharges on my EZ Tag account. I'm so sick of this mess.

Around September I was getting bills from TX Tag for like $400. When I call TX Tag, they tell me to call EZ Tag. When I call EZ Tag they tell me the Grand Parkway toll system was down during May to June and I have to pay the amount due plus fines. WTF!?!

Then when i tell them they never communicated this to me, they tell me that it's been all over the local news. WTFx2!!!! What is this? Nazi Germany? I have to watch the news to find out what my totalitarian tollway regime is communicating to me? When I told them that, they said "i'm sorry sir, i have no other answer for you".

I just got another bill from TX Tag this week. No details to which car it pertains to. So I call them and they say, "oh this is for the month of May, Harris County has already billed you for this." It's freaking December!! Stop sending old stuff if it's already resolved.

Why can't we just deal with 1 toll authority? In DFW and Ausitn, they only have TX Tag. Why do we have to deal with Ft. Bend, Harris, and TX Tag?

If the State is going to make every new freeway in Texas a tollway, make it efficient and painless for the citizens to pay and understand. /RANT

tmactoyao and ramotadab like this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

TxTag from Austin is a shitshow. They're charging thousands in late fees to customers that never received a bill for years because they're pulling addresses from vehicle registrations that are from the time you bought the vehicle.

Many people recommend Dallas's NTTA. They know what they're doing as the best toll agency in Texas. Unfortunately, you need a toll tag because every new highway constructed is a toll nowadays.

tmactoyao likes this.
  3. TMac'n

If NTTA has a good customer reputation, could we switch to them? If the State and all of the counties are gonna pay the tolls to the correct authority anyway, couldn't we just pick and choose any Tag provider / county? That would be awesome if we could and could base selection on Yelp reviews

4. VanityHalfBlack

*** them. I had to go through this **** show several years ago. Signed into your acct on TX Tag. Print out your acct and balance. If you did recurring charge or turn on notification via texting/you straight. They should text you your balance whenever below $10 anyways. Fax them all the late fees you got from eztag. Including your txtag acct. They should get you to the main head in charge at ez tag. They should help you sort it out. It's a pain in the ass and you want to punch something but they should fix it. Or just don't pay **** and tell them to *** off.

5. VanityHalfBlack

Houston has the worst drivers am I right? And the road rage? Don't get me started on that hunny cups!

6. TMac'n

F that. Who has time for all that?

7. VanityHalfBlack

I didn't want to pay the late fees. Yes those are hours I can't get back. I should have just told them to *** off. Let us know how the process goes.

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

NTTA, EZTag, and TxTag all work on each other's tolls. NTTA apparently works up in Oklahoma and Kansas, too, if that matters. But most people recommend them because they have the least mistakes.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

All of these organizations suck and are a form of ghetto/poor tax that has been taken over by Lawyer lobbies to victimize citizens with outrageous, price gouging, penalties, fines, etc...

If you have the money it may be worth contacting a lawyer who specializes fighting these bastards.

https://criminaldefenseattorneyhouston.com/toll-road-violations/

Also support groups who fight shady toll road practices.

http://www.texasturf.org/ this group has had success including elimanting tolls from tollways. that hasn't happened in Texas since the 70s. Read more, http://www.texasturf.org/2012-06-01...victory-tolls-come-off-several-texas-highways

sorry for the rant but my hate is passionate for hctra which is one of the most corrupt orginizations i've had the displeasure to associate with.

JuanValdez likes this.
  10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Didn't they get sued (class-action)? I've been screwed more times than I can remember. Paying $30 fines on $1-$2 tolls.

11. TMac'n

It would be crazy if a huge % of Houston switched to NTTA or something better, and then ABC13 has a story "Harris County EZ Tag Store shutting its doors" or "massive layoffs expected for Harris County EZ Tag Store".

Almost feels like something like this needs to happen in order to shake things up

#11 TMac'n, Dec 11, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  12. TMac'n

I also get these letters from Law Firms i cant even pronounce demanding I pay tolls. They're like the Jim Adler of toll roads and it's as if they're mailing me a subpeona

I agree with you on this outrageous form of taxation. I feel like I'm constantly being audited by the State with all these bills and law firm notices

I'm totally on board with any class action lawsuit. As long as the law firm isn't some kind of shady practice, I'd be all in

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

those law firms have been contracted to pursue fees by hctra and others. problem is those law firms are typically started by folks who either worked for or with toll authority which is a major conflict of interest. plus, with lawyers involved $10 in tolls can easily turn into $1000+ in penalties and fees. honestly it's one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen in regards to a poor tax. poor people can't live close to work (too expensive) so they live far away and drive many miles. the have to take tolls because damn near every road now is a toll or if not they'll be late for work on non-toll roads. poor people don't have credit cards and if they do their interest rates are through the roof meaning their toll spent balloon out of control. tolls are regressive so poor pay as much as rich. violations and penalties explode with massive fees. add it all up and it's a crime against people.

JuanValdez and TMac'n like this.
  14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So the question is what can we do? Who are the people that get access to levy private taxes on public roads?

My biggest concern is the ability to levy fines without being obligated to correctly contact the person fined. That's too much power for a private company no?

#14 wizkid83, Dec 12, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  15. VanityHalfBlack

Damn, you get those law firms letter too? On top of the late fees from eztag? Did you check your balance before you go on tolls? If they said the toll system didn't work from the month of May-June, they seemed to be able to add up all the toll fees just fine.

16. TMac'n

I called EZ Tag about them, and they said to ignore them strangely enough. After that I never got them again. This was back in September

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  17. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I remember getting fined while my car was on a tow truck going to a mechanic. The I had to call a bunch of people to get the fine off. I called EZ Tag folks, then the mechanic, then the tow truck, then the EZ tag people again. Then I had to get in writing that my car was indeed on a tow truck (even though they had a picture of it on the tow truck).

Pretty crazy how everything is a toll road these days.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So what happens when you dispute charges with your credit card company and make them do the legwork?

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Stop voting Republican. They are the ones that decided that road infrastructure should be a profit center.

20. Buck Turgidson

The useful info I've gathered from this thread:

1. Buy a Dallas toll tag, use it everywhere in Texas
    2. Carefully check the charges, regularly
    3. Call and b!tch for an hour
    4. Don't believe anything they tell you over the phone
    5. Call and b!tch for another hour
    6. Dispute charges with CC company
    7. Lawyer up

?. Never drive on a toll road (impossible)

I think it was Abbott, recently, who came out and slammed the Toll Road Industry in Texas, said that it should be the State's job. I like hearing that from a Very Republican.

ipaman likes this.