1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Return of the Brehs: A Clutchfans Super Draft

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by LCAhmed, Nov 11, 2017.

?

Return of the Brehs Draft Type

1. All Time Draft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cut off Draft (80s-Present, 90s-Present, etc)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Decade Draft (90s only, 80s only, etc.)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Current Draft

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. NEW: Franchise Draft (Pick a Franchise, you are limited to the players who have PLAYED for that team

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Limited Draft (3 all stars, no mvps, etc. details to be voted on)

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Other (option open to the brehs)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Sam Cassell was taken in round 2 or 3 :p

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

why not Garnett? did someone take him?

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Over McHale? Already have three all-stars and feel like those three are the best trio you can pick for the Celtics, although McHale vs Garnett can be controversial.

4. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

nice group, i didn't realize Hassan and Dragic weren't all stars for the Heat (yet). i would've stolen Payton though if i were you, just to mess with the commish ! :p

LCAhmed and Von Rafer like this.
  5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

well fair enough, but i would've taken him over both McHale and Havlicek

Von Rafer, BigMaloe and daywalker02 like this.
  6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

g Oscar Robertson
    g Giannis Antetokounmpo
    f Khris Middleton
    f Jabari Parker
    c Kareem Abdul Jabbar

bench:
    Sam Cassell
    Mo Williams
    Andrew Bogut

coach: George Karl

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was he taken by Houston or Milwaukee? Ok. Answered.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe Celtic Garnett wasn't as good as younger Minnesota MVP Wolf King Garnett.

Arguably. Still super effective.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It would be a 31yr old Garnett that never played more than 32 mpg for Boston, really don't think he'd be more valuable. Prime Minnesota KG is debatable.
    To add: I feel like some are seriously overlooking chemistry and teamplay. If I can choose between two HOFers who spent their whole career together, were a terrific duo and won multiple chips, I'd take them 10/10 times over two HOFers who played in different eras.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yup, if you picked Red Auerbach or another coach of that era.

Even if they played together, you get a young arse coach such as Stevens then the game book obviously is totally different.

Bird can be his father. Dun mean they can't learn to play for him however other teams have an advantage.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Uh, Auerbach ended his coaching career in 1965. His teams also played completely different than the 80s Celtics and other modern teams, way less flexible and more set-oriented.

So in the last draft the sentiment was that we need modern coaches that understand the complexity of the game and can keep up with the other teams, but now it's the opposite?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, did not look up, Bill Fitch and KC Jones then what I meant.

It's not the opposite but a lot of things come into play.

I have to live with Gervin, Cummings not being physically imposing as Lebron James or other modern top athletes.

This are the 'unknown' with older players and coaches.

That's the problem we had with judging, because headstrong participants will never back down...

You got to have somebody outside the circle judging this. Yet.

It's very easy to say Brad Stevens can coach these guys because he has modern tools and those guys can play with one another blindly.

It aint easy.

Fact is Brad Stevens hasn't won a championship.

Other guys have coaches with multiple championships. Jus saying.

#492 daywalker02, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No problem and understand that some could feel like HOFers wouldn't respect a young coach.
    Just feel like these old Celtics guys were some of the last players that would mess with team chemistry or disrespect a coach with a huge knowledge of basketball, they'd try to improve their game if it meant more success.

But in a game with even odds, I'd like the modern coach with an advanced knowledge of all nuances instead of an old legend that would have to adapt to the new rules, plays etc (and possibly need to revamp their whole approach to the game).

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's like saying Morey is a genius, genius, genius, he hasn't won a trophy. yet.

I hope this score system will help.

All this worshipping without numbers is too subjective. Yes, it will still be tough to judge.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No, not even a comparison. But it makes little sense to believe that a coach from an era with a completely different rule set and approach to the game would have an edge over a versatile modern coach, just because of rings that were won in an era long ago.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is what I think might be wrong. Coaching smarts and old school motivation are still important.

We will see. Those people believing in metrics and only numbers have not won much up till now. And we are working with mostly tangibles here.

Rings are not everything, sure, that is why one must research what made their coaches so successful and argue it out.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Phil Jackson is a nice example, won multiple chips and has an edge according to your logic.
    Yet, the guy stubbornly stuck to his triangle bs when the era and roster didn't fit with the Knicks. We all saw how that played out, having past success can often be a hindrance actually and make a coach numb to changes.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Phil Jax system needs a swing man and/or a dominating Center to be effective sure. He never really coached after that.

That president of NY was just a gig to get him paid. He was ripe for retirement.

#498 daywalker02, Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Why giannis at the 2? I think his best fit is the 3 or 4 where he can take advantage of slower players and his lack of an outside shot isn't as noticeable. Middleton fits the 2 well.

Love the trio of bigO, Kareem and giannis.

20. oelman44

oelman44 Member

BJ Armstrong / Hinrich
    MJ
    Pippen / Jimmy Butler
    Horace Grant
    Artis Gilmore / Joakim Noah