1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everything we've seen thus far indicates that Watson is not ready to be a starting QB in the NFL, suggesting that will happen is relying solely on the premise of "anything can happen and nobody knows the future".

Could he develop the parts of his game he's shown to be lacking thus far? Sure, but it's not a guaranteed and that's my point.

At this point Watson could be the next coming of Aaron Rodgers or Jake Locker and there's no way of telling how it'll end up.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm not disagreeing with you here. I just have the same question for you as I do some of my other non-CF buddies. Why not join in the Watson "hoping for greatness" parade? If it doesn't pan out, we watch Savage all year. You would rather see Watson blow the doors off NRG right?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope Watson ends up being what some people think he already is. If Watson ends up being an elite QB, that only says good things about the future of the Texans......I just don't want people to get ahead of themselves. He's not that guy right now and we shouldn't be hoping Savage fails or gets injured any more than we should hope that about Watson.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I never said that Watson is ready to be a starting QB. I said that evidence to this point indicates that he is trending towards it. I haven't seen anything that would make me think that he's not. And I definitely haven't seen any evidence that warrants a potential parallel to any player of Jake Locker's stature.

Your stance comes across as obtuse and overly pessimistic. We have plenty of concrete reason to believe that Watson can surpass Savage sooner rather than later. Including his mobility, play making ability, past success, and progression to this point early in his rookie season. None of that, in and of itself, equates to proof of a HOF QB. But it sure as hell points to a projected baseline in the near future that is above the ceiling of what Savage has shown thus far. Is that a sure thing? Absolutely not, but if you want to use the tangibles that we have at this point, it's the only logical prediction.

5. Nigel Thornberry

Agreed. Understand there is no reason to argue or debate with @Bobbythegreat.

6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Is believing that Savage "is who he is" the same as hoping for him to fail? I think where a lot of fans are right now is: having seen more than enough of Tom Savage to know that he can't be a competent full season starter. Whereas with Watson, you don't know, but there were some positives to be taken out of pre-season game one for sure (and negatives). People believe he will be better than Savage sooner rather than later, and I don't blame them. Nobody wants to be stuck with having Savage under-center for the foreseeable future. (Texans front office included. They invested in this kid for a reason.)

ipaman likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If a person believed that Watson "is who he is" and didn't believe that he could become an accurate passer that could succeed in the NFL, would you say that they were hoping he'd fail? If someone said that "no one wants to be stuck with having Watson under center for the foreseeable future" would you say that they were being unfair?

I get that you've taken a bold stance here, but you'll have to excuse me if I don't take the same bold stance. As of right now, Savage has shown more than Watson and that's why he's slated as the starter.

We all have high hopes that Watson will one day morph into a starting caliber QB, but that likely won't happen any time soon.

No reason for people incapable of rational discussion, that's for certain.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

no one is debating that he is the #1 and best option right now. i've even said several times i want him to start the season but i don't think he'll last very long for multiple reasons, injury being most likely. i'm only saying is that it's wrong to say that he EARNED the #1. he didn't.

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

No. I don't think saying that would be equivilant with hoping for failure. With either QB

Yes I would say that is unfair. Watson has been in the league for all of training camp and 1 pre-season game. Savage on the other hand, has been in the league for several years, with ample opportunity to win the job, and the gap is already not too large between Watson and Savage.

If I had to bet on Savage improving to keep the job over Watson, or Watson surpassing Savage early this year, the odds should be decidedly with Watson.

My stance doesn't come off as bold IMO. The bar for Watson to surpass Savage is very low. He doesn't have to be anywhere close to eilite.
    Hell, he barley has to be average.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

But he has earned it. It is his job to lose. All im saying is we still got Weeden and hes isnt our #1. Surely you can agree that Savage has earned the right to be next in line. Anyway, Im just gonna agree to disagree. I see your point but its not like Savage has been sitting on his hands this whole time not soaking in the playbook and putting in the time to get better. Im also pretty sure if crocks contract was half of what it was, Savage wouldve started a whole lot more games last year. GO TEXANS.

11. donkeypunch

Do you ever add anything insightful to a conversation? Your whole troll and dodge discussion has become rather stale.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What the? What did Savage do to "earn" the right to lead our team?

Before you spend much time on that question, the answer is he did nothing.

Tom Savage is not a good NFL quarterback. Watson might not be 100% ready to start, but if 80% of Watson is better than 100% of Savage, Watson should start.

You can stick your default "he earned it by not being cut in four years" argument next to your participation trophies. This is the NFL.

(disclaimer: Savage could "earn" the job with his play the next two preseason games. I have Watson ahead of him after limited viewing in week 1)

ipaman and tmoney1101 like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look, I'm nowhere near a fan of Savage, in fact, I controversially pointed out that he's yet to throw for a TD in his career not that long ago and all sort of people had fits about it. That said, right now he's earned the starting job by looking better in practice and by knowing the playbook.

While we saw some potential from Watson in the first preseason game, we saw even more examples of how far he needs to come as a passer to put it all together.

I think in the end what we both want is what is best for the Texans so let's just wait till some more data points come in and we'll continue this discussion over who deserves to start then

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Saturday can't get here soon enough.....

macho GRANDE likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, it's part of why I hate the preseason, so many questions and the answers take so long to arrive.

HR Dept likes this.
  16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

To be fair. Watson is not ready because he is inaccurate. Isn't better than saying Savage isn't ready because although he has had 4 years in this system he is still slow to make decisions and can't extend the play at all. They both have flaws. You are just giving one the benefit of the doubt over the other, why is that different than ppl who are doing the same thing except for the other player?

Fulgore and Mr. Clutch like this.
  17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

18. Nigel Thornberry

I mean this is my thread you're in clown. You can gladly leave since nothing I say is insightful to you. Really weird how you keep hanging on my pant leg, just let go

19. donkeypunch

[​IMG]
    More insight. LULZ. How nice of you to start a thread that wouldve been discussed in the Deshawn Watson thread anyway and not participate in it. Just keep trolling, my dood. You are a MAJOR asset to this board and you should know it. Keep doin you.... on my ignore list.

20. Nigel Thornberry

Yes :D