1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

all-time 5 favorite guitarists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sir scarvajal, Jul 6, 2000.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

True story about Bruce Springsteen. He used to play a fairly fast guitar- I've heard old demos - guy definitely had chops. Anyway, he signs a record deal with Columbia Records. And he's recording his first album- and Blue Oyster Cult is recording in the studio next to him. And he hears Buck Dharma start playing- said he'd never heard anyone play that fast in his life- and he knew there was no way he could compete with that, so he decided to rein in his guitar playing- take it in a different direction. Apparently, they ran into each other more than once:

Albert Bouchard (about Blue Oyster Cult's "Spectres" album): I was disappointed in a couple of the songs. "Fireworks" I was disappointed with. I thought it wasn't as smooth as the song I was imitating, [Boston's] "More Than a Feeling." I'd put them on side by side: "Aw, man! This is not as good" [laughs]. Then Bruce Springsteen came in, saying, "What? Are you kidding me? This is great. This is a hit. I'd be happy to have written this song." He was working on Born to Run in the studio next door."

#41 dandorotik, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Buckethead is the truth. His stuff with claypool from primus and bernie worrell is amazing.

He also has stuff with bootsy collins.

Did you know he auditioned to be the new chili peppers guitarist when frusciante quit the 1st time after blood sugar sex magik?

VooDooPope likes this.
  3. Daddy Long Legs

Amazing bro. I have his discography on my cpu. He has like over 90 albums lol.

Population override is my favorite but enter the chicken with serj is the truth!

I was always a huge primus and chili peppers fan. I found out about buckethead when i read that he auditioned to replace john frusciante after blood sugar sex magik.

Got more into em later on in high school when he made that album with claypool from primus.

I think buckethead has the technical ability of guys like gilbert or satriani but still rocks hard and gets gritty/nasty like primus and red hot chili peppers.

Buckethead has a history of being part of the funk rock music scene. He isnt just some boring shredder lol

Saw him back at the meridian in houston ten years ago and emos in atx 6 months ago

4. Daddy Long Legs

I notice a bunch of people putting really older guitarists. I love all those guys too and grew up on it but a lot really are ignoring the growing movement of modern mathrockers. these are the guys carrying on the legacy or rock guitar heroics

stretching the boundaries of time signatures/ effects/ and what a guitar is capable of sounding like.

Please somebody check this out! this is the band in my avatar. Support the guys that are becoming legends in their own right today!

I feel like you have to be under 30 years old and a music/nerd freak to like this stuff but I know guitarists out there will appreciate it. Mathrock is a combination of shredder/tapping and punk rock energy. Tera Melos early stuff is all guitar tapping symphonies.

This is the evolution of tons of yalls favorite guitarists! anyone that likes adrian belew/john mcglaughlin/robert fripp would love this.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That song was 4/4 and those dudes look like 40.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Aww yeah.

Dankstronaut and Bandwagoner like this.
  7. Daddy Long Legs

Yes that song is 4/4. I posted one of the ones that is easier to get into. If you are ready for one of the weird time signature ones this one is in 13/8

I know you are trying to be a dick but i appreciate you checking it out.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I just find it odd you bump a 17 year old thread about all time greats and promote some 40 year old dudes only those under 30 can appreciate. Then talk about how they have odd time signatures and their song is 4/4.

It's a weird series of events. a new thread called "this band I like" might have had a better response.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Its not a big deal bro. Why are you always trying to beef lol. Look up "tera melos" they are a math rock band that is known for weird time signatures. I posted one of their more newby friendly songs on the thread thats 4/4 lol.

I bumped the thread as to not be ego centric and keep a good already established thread going. This thread encompasses more than just me and tera melos. Its for all guitar lovers. I like hearing what other people like to.

They arent 40 and theres no reason to throw shade at me liking them.

Its all good bro.

Here you go dimebag lover lol

10. Daddy Long Legs

@Bandwagoner seemed to have a problem that I mentioned these guys play in weird time signatures a lot but the song that I chose to post was one of their songs that is in 4/4.

I didn't know playing a song in 4/4 meant that you aren't a band that likes to stretch time and play weird time signatures.

In case that offends anyone else. this is a song that is not in 4/4

11. GIGO

GIGO Member

Roy Buchanan - Wayfaring Pilgrim @ Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, 1974

The video above is mistitled by VEVO. Wayfaring Pilgrim is the last song from his 1974 album In The Beginning

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Dime's vibe speaks to me. His ability, the way he played, his fuzzy ass tone, his super groove heavy metal riffs, the lil bit of bluesy country he would throw in. All-time. CFH tatted on my leg!

Primal Concrete Sledge has been a nickname and gamertag for me for a minute and a half. Freaking LOVE Pantera. Kills me that I'll never see them live. I remember the day after Dime was shot, staring at the computer just in shock.

The Real Shady likes this.
  13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

a href=""

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. Daddy Long Legs

You were there too?

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yep

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Dickey Betts
    Chet Atkins
    George Thorogood
    Prince

17. Daddy Long Legs

Ironically the 1st thing that comes up if you click that emos hot link on the instagram is nick reinhart/ tera melos lol.

Its my favorite venue in atx. Good acts always come through. I saw del tha funker homosapien with juan alderete from racer x/ mars volta there lol.

[​IMG]

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

Carlos Santana
    Jimi Hendrix
    B.B King
    Prince
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    And some may not like him but John Mayer.

19. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I listen to all sorts of music, but my favorite is punk. I know that punk musicians aren't the most technical, but I just like their style more than more mainstream musicians. I love SRV, Brian May, and Mark Knoplfer, and while they are technically proficient, the style of music is not my favorite. Below I have listed my 5 favorite punk guitarists. Some might be surprised at just how good some of these punks are.

D. Boon - the Minutemen
    Captain Sensible - the Damned
    Jeff Ott - Fifteen/Crimpshrine
    Chris Hannah - Propagandhi
    East Bay Ray - Dead Kennedys

Honorable mention: Dr Know - Bad Brains

20. MystikArkitect

Way too many to list here in terms of influence so I'll just go with the ones that mean the most to me.

1) David Gilmour- Can do more with one bend than most guitarists can do with an entire song. Shine On's bends and vibratos are trance inducing.

2) Jimmy Page - Godfather of modern guitar from 70s to now. The Hakeem of guitarists.

3) Santana - Emotional and soulful. First guitarist that made the rest of the people on a song, including the singer, a featured member of said song.

4) George Harrison - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

5) Keith Richards - Too many memorable riffs to name here, creative, rangey.

Honorable mentions: EVH, Gibbons, Frusciante, White, kimbrough, BB, Albert King, Slash, Hammett, Townshend, Kreiger