1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets aggressively pursuing Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 24, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If anyone thinks that CP3 replicates the same skillsets as Harden, they just started watching basketball.
    Harden is a FAR more prolific scorer but CP3 is a far better game manager at PG. Just look what he does season in and season out.

In a league where every ball dominant guard ***** out 3+ turnovers per game, Paul consistently hovers around 2 turnovers and 10 assists per game.

#221 fchowd0311, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm all for tanking when you aren't in the conversation but we are in the conversation.

No we aren't close to the Warriors, but we definitely right in there for the next tier. I don't think teams in that space should be tearing down to tank. Teams in that space should be going all out.

We were a legit WCF contender last year with only one star.

BigM, Pen15clubber, MadMax and 6 others like this.
  3. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

This man watches basketball. people always over think things. stars can play with other stars. this isnt some revolutionary idea. just like this guy is saying. he can do everything better then bev. everything. bev defense is a plus. but cp3 isnt some curry on d either. dont be dumb people.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm all for not tanking if that's the route. It's not the route I'd go (previously explained).

But I do have to disagree with the legit WCF contender point. The Rockets finished the season 24-18. That's a full half of the season at a 46-47 win pace, which would have put them 6-7 in the West, 5 in the East. They absolutely get credit for that hot 21-9 start... but when you combine with how they finished the season, their playoff performance, their loss against a Spurs team without their best player, without their best leader, with their 2nd best player being a guy they want to jettison for cap space... I just think using the word "legit" is an overstatement. They are farther away than closer.

Which is why after 1 year of pace and space, stretch 4, Harden as PG... they're willing to completely change it up 100% again.

5. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Just get CP3 to sign and do a sign and trade for either Griffin or Millsap while keeping Lou Williams and Beverley. Sign Nene back to the min and fill the rest of the roster with some vets for min deals.

CP3/Beverley
    Harden/Williams
    Ariza/Dekker
    Millsap or Griffin/Vet Min
    Capela/Nene

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  6. justtxyank

You can't make this happen. You can't keep Bev, Lou and Ariza and have enough to do a sign and trade for a star.

7. JayZ750

I think CP3 and Millsap can both get $35 million. But for easy math, just assume $30 each (I think Blake's number is $30, too). $30 + $30 = $60 million.

I think Bima recently noted the Rockets have about $10 million in cap space. So to do your scenario(s) they'd had to create or trade $50 million in cap space.

Anderson, Gordon, Ariza, Williams, PBev and Dekker will make a combined $54 million next year... so it's possible, but you'd have to lose most/all of these players without taking back any contracts (aside from the signed and traded player)

saleem likes this.
  8. justtxyank

Yeah that scenario is EXTREMELY unlikely. The only scenario I see as really "plausible" that nets them two stars is Paul/George. (hehe)

Pen15clubber likes this.
  9. Asian Sensation

Austin Ribers sucks.

Pen15clubber and Mr. Clutch like this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Thank you! Im not anti tanking when you are 9th seed 14tg overall pick with no foundation.

I am very against giving up on trying to improve a team that has an mvp candidate and top 3 record though.

Tell that to the trade harden crowd. You be dropping so many bombs.

Once again...

Boom.

BigMaloe, MadMax and justtxyank like this.
  11. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ed Reed called and approves.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. I hear you. I'm fine with having that discussion. That's what I said in my initial post. If you want to discuss whether CP3 is the best approach, I'm fine with that. I think that's arguable.

2. I remember how Dream failed in the playoffs before 1994....I remember how his heart and will were questioned....how his own team was convinced he faked an injury....how they were ready to trade him to Miami. I remember how Dirk was questioned...how he was "too soft"....how a team with him at the helm could never win. Ultimately, the kind of talent Harden has displayed is worth chancing building around...because, even though he hasn't won a title by age 26, he's the best player this franchise has had since #34 was lacing them up. And there's really not a close second in that analysis. If you're suggesting the discussion should be about getting rid of James Harden, ok....but I'll tell you right now, I think that's a gigantic, tremendous mistake.

eslate22, BigMaloe, BigM and 3 others like this.
  13. MadMax

sure worked for those guys.

14. JayZ750

Right... but there is a path.

Ryno to Nets for cap space.. The Nets might sign JJ Reddick. JJ and Ryno are friends. And Brooklyn doesn't really care. But you have to sweeten it. 2nd round stashes and next year's first. That's $19.6 million. Move PBev for space... that should be possible and you can perhaps get back a first. Like maybe from Denver. That's another $5.5 million and now you have enough for CP3.

Then offer to the Hawks the rest in a sign and trade for Millsap.

I mean, HUGELY unlikely, but maybe possible...

15. MadMax

If you're comparing Ed Reed to Chris Paul you either don't understand the NFL or you don't understand the NBA.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly disguised anti-Harden bash. #mediaconspiracy

DonKnock likes this.
  17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Both past their prime. Typical for the Rockets to pursue him now, he won't put you over the top.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Look at his PER; as a poster on here mentioned, CP3 has shown no signs of decline.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I just saw on FB that some guy posted that Paul's wife was looking at houses in the Woodlands recently. Queue Nick Saban. Lol.

That would be a far drive to TC.

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Bullard lives in the Woodlands

DonKnock, BigMaloe and Pen15clubber like this.