1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets aggressively pursuing Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 24, 2017.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

This has already been explained quite a few times in this thread.

2. chenjy9

Supporting Member

For a team that signed Ego, Ryno, AND Nene, pretty sure this is not a priority concern for us. LOL

3. Mr Chuck Norris

Steve Nash won MVP at 32 with dantoni.... Chris Paul is better than Steve Nash ever was..... I mean why are people opposed to this.... the same ones who don't trust harden and says he has too many turnovers are opposed to Chris Paul I really don't understand.... talking about fit... please this would instantly be the best backcourt in the NBA and one of the top backcourts of all time.

Dame/CJ basically do the same thing but they seem to fit...... you guys are really overthinking it

4. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Ball Dominant All-Stars Find A Way To Win

#204 Fullcourt, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    MadMax likes this.
  5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

So what would 26 per do for us as a team if we replaced Beverley with Paul? How much better would we be?

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

A ton better. For one, when Harden sits, we have someone else to run the system. Rather than count on Ego or Bev or Ariza or Lou or whoever to generate looks and shots, we have CP3 to continue the trend of getting our shooters open looks. Basically, CP3 is everything Bev is and everything he is not.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

didn't know replacing a role player who needs to play off someone with a true star needed questioning.

Reeko, BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  8. rockets13champs

This summer my favorite reporter is Crispy Haynes

tbw914 likes this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the reason some people have concerns about fit is because we disagree with what you're saying, lol.

I mean, no offense, but:

1. That backcourt still does not beat the Warriors. Because the Warriors backcourt fits, the Warriors backcourt is more efficient scoring, and the Warriors backcourt would still be better defensively... and

2. It's not basically the same as what Dame/CJ do. CJ runs around off ball... a fair amount. CJ is a pure shooting guard. He's shot basically 42% from three each of the past two seasons. He doesn't get a ton of assists... again pure SG.

If you're looking to use a comparison that is favorable, I think you are better off using Lebron/Wade. Sure, that's equally laughable in that Lebron is the greatest player of the last 20 years and Wade in his healthy/prime is a more dominant 2 way player than Harden... but it is at least two, ball dominant, used to be the clear #1 guy ball control on their team.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Certainly could argue better fit for the Warriors backcourt, and they are definitely more efficient because of the 3s, but better defensively? Harden and Steph are about the same although Harden can help with some versatility against bigs. Paul is an elite defender. You can pick your poison there I guess, but at worse I say defensively they are a wash.

This is where I agree with the fit concern. Is Harden willing to play off the ball? We haven't seen it lately. Last year he basically wouldn't play if he wasn't initiating the offense. I'd be optimistic about it because if he signs here it means they both want it to work and because I think Paul is a great off the ball fit.

That's where I think your Wade/Lebron comparison fails. Paul can actually be the off ball guy very effectively.

11. MystikArkitect

Because Beverley isn't an aging flopper who actually has heart and works hard or some bull crap like that.

This board really is entertaining sometimes. It's simple. Get stars. Make it work. If Spoelstra and Tyronn Lue could guide a team of 3 All Stars to a chip, pretty sure Dantoni can.

SunsRocketsfan likes this.
  12. JayZ750

There's nothing I've seen in the last [x] years that can convince me that Harden and Steph are on the same level defensively. Steph is over-matched at times.. but he competes, and plays really great team defense. Harden basically can't guard backcourt players, unless they try to post him up. If you're giving him value for being somewhat capable of guarding "bigs" down low... ok.

I'll take Klay over Chris Paul defensively. But I guess understand that might be personal opinion... and i know CP3 just today was all-nba defense first team and Klay didn't make the squad. I just think Klay is a fantastic defender. He can be versatile (see point above about Harden... except...) and do so effectively. In the Finals for example he guarded Kyrie, Lebron and Kevin Love at times.

Maybe... maybe if CP3 can hold Harden 100% consistently accountable defensively, they might be a wash defensively...

I've posted this elsewhere and said it before. Just look at these guys shooting splits on basketball reference over the last few years. Both guys only get assisted on like 10% of their two point makes, and 30% of their threes.

The argument I guess is... well, yeah, because they have no other dominant scoring backcourt mate on their squads. And that surely has some truth to it, indeed. One would assume that by default having both of them on the court at the same time will open up some space and allow the other to get assisted on more shots. Particularly as it relates to 3 pointers, where both, and Harden especially, jacks too many contested ones.

Nonetheless, the point is these are guys who have learned to maximize their talents, success (though limited at the top end) and pocket book by becoming enormously ball dominant.

I agree that CP3 would be the more likely to move around off ball. But it's honestly f'ing ridiculous to even have to type that, lol.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

cp3 isn't a player that has heart or works hard? his whole career of work ethic says otherwise. his play on the floor says otherwise. last i checked beverley wasn't known as the healthiest player either. people can call him a flopper all they want. people around here hate DG's guts but if the rockets had a chance to get him they would welcome him with open arms. I couldn't care less about personal agendas towards a player. If you get an opportunity for cp3 over a role player like PB you do it unless you're content with this limited ceiling the rockets have had for years now.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

An argument that needs to stop...that we need to stop having....is...."well, we can't be the Warriors, so why try?" This team OWES IT to their season ticket holders, their fans, and the city that financed the arena they enjoy, to put the best product on the court they can possibly create. We can argue whether or not CP3's addition would do that. But if it begins and ends with, "why try..the W's are too good..." that's pretty lazy and pretty gutless, from my view. The Warriors aren't assured health....they're not assured of anything. Make them falcon earn it.

DonKnock, Icehouse, Cash Cam and 7 others like this.
  15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Beautiful post.

16. MadMax

"Did I rush it? I felt like I rushed it." - Danny Ocean

17. JayZ750

Well to be fair, the 76ers have a more excited, engaged fanbase than the Rockets right now. In fact, I think they've sold more season tickets for 2017/2018 than any team.

https://www.libertyballers.com/2017...e-most-2017-18-season-tickets-of-any-nba-team

The "process" is basically now well understood and generally "loved" in Philly.

What's my point?? I think my point is an intelligent, engaged fanbase should be able to "stomach" an intelligent, well laid out strategy to get back to winning championships as soon as possible.

Maybe that should factor in the GSW dynasty, maybe it shouldn't.

But to blanket say you always have to be putting forth your obviously "best effort" at any point in time regardless of the other factors that might be in play seems to be folly. Heck the Lakers, one of the winning-est organizations in the league, was actively looking to tank last year, and their fans knew exactly why.

If I still lived in Houston, what I'd be disgusted about would be the fact that the ticket prices are through the roof, that lower bowl is always sold out to corporate folks who never show up, the team hasn't done better than 1 WCF game win in the last 20 years, and Les clearly values keeping the perception that the team is consistently "good enough" to keep his pockets full... as opposed to being concerned about how they might potentially feel about tanking to ultimately build a championship team in a different way...

#217 JayZ750, Jun 26, 2017
    pippendagimp likes this.
  18. MadMax

I don't disagree with what you're saying...but trying to pursue Chris Paul doesn't seem to me to be something that fans should be complaining about. You don't tank when you have the guy who is 2nd in MVP voting twice in the last 3 years.

And let me be VERY clear....I was one of the voices here arguing for tanking a hella long time back. I was arguing it was a mistake to extend Yao...to keep holding on when you're finishing 8 or 9 in the West....when you have no discernible shot at winning a title, because you don't have a first or second team all NBA type talent anywhere on your roster. I'm all for tanking....if I was the Mavs I'd tank the eff out of it right now. Even after this draft. They won't, though.....but the Rockets have no business tanking right now. None at all.

#218 MadMax, Jun 26, 2017
    BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  19. JayZ750

I hear you, but to address your two points.

1. To the extent most of us are complaining about adding CP3, its about fit rather than adding a great player. You're adding a clear point guard to a team that has the #2 MVP guy playing point guard? When your team has other holes at PF, SF, rebounding, bench, etc.? And both are ball dominant PGs (as opposed to one being more Kyrie, or Steph like?). All while maybe having to move PBev, who is the exact kind of contract and roll player that will be needed to support your all-star players once you have more than one?

2. Regarding #2 in MVP voting... I just think it's a bit myopic to just look at it that way. I mean, Russ is going to win the MVP. But if they can move Russ and "start over" with a crap-ton of very very high draft picks, I feel like they absolutely should. Could they have traded Russ for Fultz, Jaylen Brown, Brooklyn's uprotected first next year and something else? Maybe... maybe. Maybe not, but I'm not going to just say you're the MVP, we shouldn't move you. OKC needs to consider MVP or not, is Russ a winning player you can build around, given that his better teammate walked and walked, and given that you are in OKC, etc. If you're the Rockets, you definitely don't have to tank, but you absolutely have to consider how Harden has failed multiple times in the playoffs, and the GSW dynasty, etc.

You just have to factor it all in.

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

[​IMG]