1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Mariners

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 23, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Bullpen domination and another series victory. Smart call by Hinch to pull the rip cord on Martes.

13 game division lead, and an 11 win lead over the next closest AL team.

2. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

You assume he was going to take a beating. It's not like that was a chalk it up, on the board guarantee regardless of what you think. Not to mention due to a very questionable call he actually got out of that inning. He should have been at least given a chance to start the 3rd with a short leash. I don't see how that thinking is unreasonable...

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

happens maybe once/year, but gotta give hinchy credit on today's win. pulled all the right strings.

really impressive series win.

Houstunna and adw like this.
  4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

They won.

What were we discussing again?

macho GRANDE and BigM like this.
  5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

ten game lead over the entire AL

[​IMG]

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Based on how he looked, his age, his experience, the lineup he was facing, and his workload over the first 2 innings... what do you think was going to be the most likely outcome?

Also,

If Hinch leaves him in, and he continues to serve it up like Musgrove did, does he get all the blame again like he did on Friday?

There is a time/place/situation for letting guys try to get through it. The off day tomorrow went a long way into today's plan. It worked.

#566 Nick, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It feels like the time I looked at the 2000 US Open(Golf).

Astros potentially could have broke the record for most wins in a season if they knew how to play well at home. Jesus.

I don't want home-field advantage in the playoffs.

9. conquistador#11

great now we have to go back to the hell hole of a center field at that ball park in houston.

10. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

First hit, walk, HBP, etc you pull him and I'm fine with that. If he serves up a meatball that gets belted for a solo HR then darn you are down 3-0 with the best offense in baseball in the 3rd inning. Not to mention I have seen plenty of pitchers look like a hot mess through two innings and then settle down afterwards.

I just see Hinch pulling guys 60 pitches into a start far too often, and I don't want our bullpen to be gassed by October. After all it's about the bigger picture.

Whatever, we won. I'll shut up about it now.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Playoff MMP is a beast like no other (provided they let them keep the roof closed). Opposing teams are shaken.

12. the shark

the shark Member

Nick as of yesterday here's the list of the top 15 closers (by saves) and their appearances and IP.

Holland 29 GP 27.2 IP
    Colome 32 34.1
    Kintzler 33 33.1
    Kimbrel 31 32.2
    Rodney 28 26.2
    Osuna 32 30.0
    Herrera 32 31.0
    Giles 31 29.1
    Seung 31 34.0
    Jansen 30 31.0
    Johnson 32 32.2
    Allen 28 28.0
    Davis 27 26.1
    Maurer 32 29.1
    Brach 33 33.1

Seems to me he's being used about as much as the other closers in the league.

Good win today!!

Nick likes this.
  13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps Feliz/Devo or whoever you then bring in pitches differently with men on base, or having to get warmed up mid-inning as opposed to prior.

He had already suffered through 2 very long innings. This is also a guy who may not have the best overall stamina and was starting to leave a ton of stuff up. If there was any thought that he was just suffering from bad luck or tough breaks that's one thing... but he didn't have command, didn't have a lot of movement on his off-speed stuff, was leaving pitches up, was gassed... etc. etc. etc.

At the rate this season is going, they may be able to rest their bullpen for a full month prior. There will be extra arms available in September. Pennant races truly gas arms.... I'm not so sure the Astros plan on letting it get to that this year.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Good data... but you also have to figure that the Astros have 10+ more wins than any of those teams, and yet Giles is still middle of the pack. He's had to make up some appearances by pitching in non-save situations just to get work (the type of situations he's been criticized as being bad in).

He's also had 3 separate stints this year where he's had long breaks in between appearances.... just rare to see for a closer on a team that wins as much as this... but they keep breaking games open late to take away any sort of leverage opportunity where he'd be needed.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  15. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Can't wait for when they can put Peacock back into the bullpen and turn him into Devo 2.0. It is going to make the bullpen patently ridiculous.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I like Peacock as a starter if he can push Fiers to your number 5. Really don't feel like seeing Musgrove again this year until he develops an out pitch.

crose likes this.
  17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

If/When McHugh comes back and they have all four main starters healthy then I'd prefer Fiers as the 5. Makes the 'pen much more flexible and you only use four starters in the postseason anyways.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

First to 52.

the shark likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Astros are not undefeated due to stupid Hinch?

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member