1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

‘Trump Is What Happens When a Political Party Abandons Ideas’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 24, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thoughtful opinion piece by Bruce Bartlett, an American historian whose area of expertise is supply-side economics. He served as a domestic policy adviser to Ronald Reagan and as a Treasury official under George H. W. Bush. Here he talks about the changes he has seen in the years between Reagan and today (supporting the idea often posted that "Reagan would be rolling over in his grave").

http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...al-conservatives-lost-republican-trump-215259

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Thank goodness we didn't choose an even worse route by voting for the folks you supported.

3. NewRoxFan

Hmm... OK, if that makes you feel better after reading what a thoughtful conservative republican just wrote. I disagree that it would be an even worse route after seeing (1) how little good Trump has achieved so far and (2) how many bad things he has already done so far. But sure, us folks supported "the other candidate." Interesting that he a (like me) voted for Clinton.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Had Hillary won, it would have been a worse country in the eyes of the 40% diehard FoxNews watchers because they love the misery of hate obsessing over Hillary and the GOP gives them all the fuel they can give with Benghazi type of scandals.

But let's be honest here about the real differences-

Hillary:
    -stock market and jobs would have been solid as well
    -health care reform to ACA would be priority which would actually strengthen the individual markets and potentially improve Obamacare instead of distressing the market with uncertainly
    -Syria/Assad/Russian support would be getting no love from the US
    -ISIS would still be losing ground in war in Iraq/Mosul.
    -Putin/Russia would be sanctioned to high hell for hacking our election and would deter them from hacking elections in the future that they don't win.
    -deficit would increase of course because Democrats spend
    -we would have remained the leader in Climate Change and not given that leadership role to China
    -Millionaires would still have to pay taxes
    -Republicans would obstruct and likely start investigation after after investigation on Hillary to where her Presidency is water down and not that much happens.

Then there is the Trump presidency:

-Stock market and jobs are doing fine
    -ACA bill is a reality that will kick off millions and in the meantime Trump is causing uncertainty to insurance markets
    -Syria/Assad situation is a cluster with unclear mission with unclear support.
    -ISIS is still being beaten in Iraq/Mosul
    -Putin is being rewarded for hacking our election in many ways by Trump and embolden to attack Democracies globally further.
    -Deficit is increasing because Trump likes to spend and someone has to pay for tax cuts for millionaires
    -The world has been shown that the US (largest carbon emitter) doesn't give a crap about Climate Change
    -Millionaires will get tax breaks and we get to test Trickle down economics which has a historical record of never working.
    -We have a presidency neck deep in scandal and corruption with investigation after investigation. Major difference here is the investigations have been started by REPUBLICANS on their own leader.

So is there a huge difference I see?.... not really but for all of those Republican voters who tell everyone around them "it would be worse with Hillary!".... think again... unless you are a millionaire or a fan of the Putin agenda of destroying Democracy. On all of the major issues (economy, healthcare, taxes, war) very little would be different other than healthcare and taxes years from now. Even then it's probably just taxes that are different because that's all ACA is ... a tax break.

But the FoxNews watchers would have all the miserable bliss of hate watching everything Hillary does and b****ing nonstop that she's the devil while the world continues to turn. With Trump, the world continues to turn but it turns much more in favor for the rich.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good article, and the first response perfectly illustrates the author's point: no ideas, no analysis, and lowest common denominator. Just a negative sound bite and team cheering.

Don't let them Hillary the thread, folks.

This is all about a long trend in the GOP.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Trump is worse than what he imaged? What world did he imagine under Trump? The world where many lefties believed nuclear bombs would be raining down on any country that snickered at Trump? Or a pro-russia political party with Putin living in the White House? Or any one of the other nonsensical radical beliefs born during the elections?

Trump is every bit of what I expected. Its not the end of the world as the lefties paint it, but it is typical Republican confusion.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

8. dobro1229

Here come the Trumpkins. Waiting for a RussiaLegend response in 3, 2, 1....

9. dobro1229

The thing though that this author gets wrong is that the GOP did in fact have an Obamacare replacement. They just didn't want anyone to know about it because they are smart enough to know that the majority of people are NOT millionaires and wouid see their plan as nothing more than a tax break for rich people.

10. NewRoxFan

I don't know if I agree (thus I agree with article's author). I think that beyond the republican obsession with repealing ACA, it is pretty clear that republicans had no workable replacement. They have scrambled and floated out piecemeal plans filled with past speaking points but every replacement plan floated out there has been shot down by the American public and even by the republican congress itself. If anything, the only replacement plan the republicans actually had was the vacuum representing how things were before ACA.

11. NewRoxFan

Wow... who woulda thunk, a defense of Trump from someone what continually complains about being unfairly painted as a Trump supporter. Shocking, I know.

But that aside, you have to look at what the conservatives represented by the author may have believed or hoped once Trump did become president. Would Reagan conservatives expected that the candidate that beat the Democrat would have cozied up so closely with Russians that Reagan had worked so hard to oppose? And while I think trickle down economics was the "voo doo" that Bush senior described, I do believe that Reagan and his advisers perhaps naively thought it would eventually trickle down to the middle and lower classes... where as the Trump focus is solely on benefiting the wealthy (and hence Trumpcare is Wealthycare). I also think the Reagan adviser was surprised by the Trump choices for cabinet members and advisers... even Reagan saw the importance of surrounding himself with competent people around him (Haig, Watt, and North aside).

12. dobro1229

Well yes, but we know what about ACA was viewed as the "problem that needed to be fixed", and where the priorities lied. Those never changed. It had nothing to do with coverage, individual markets,pre-existing conditions, etc. The priorities they had then that made the GOP oppose ACA in the first place were the priorities that drafted AHCA fundamentals. The mandates that redistributed taxes from rich people to pay for health care expansion to the poor, elderly, and those in need.

If you knew the priorities that existed then, and still now, its obvious what the framework of the GOP plan would be. They've even spent years planning what the pitch to the American people would be. "Obamacare is failing, we are actually SAVING America by putting OUR PLAN in place or everyone will die on Obamacare". This started when Marco Rubio and co. devised their scheme with the risk corridors. Bastardize the marketplace, add uncertainty to make insurers feel queezy about staying in with certain states (Ohio being a swing state AND a state where insurers are apparently "fleeing" is no coincidence), and do schemes like Rubio did in order to manipulate how insurers frontload the financial burden in order to make it look like ACA is imploding.

So did they have a healthcare bill ready to go... of course they didn't. But they sure as hell seem to have had a plan started far before Trump got elected.

A. Undermine ACA
    B. Tell the American public ACA is imploding
    C. Slip past the Tax bill (called AHCA which is deceptively similar in name to ACA on purpose)
    D. Tell America that they saved healthcare in this country
    E. Hope Americans are stupid
    F. 2020 comes and the damage done by imposing AHCA comes into play, and they'll hope Americans don't pay attention in an election year

Again its not a healthcare bill anyways. Its a tax bill. If you forget about the healthcare angle its obvious what the GOP plan was going to be and what it is still now.

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I dont mind being called names like the lowest common denominator. If you guys havent noticed my one or two sentence responses bait you into these long winded 10 paragraph rebuttals or name calling, then thats on you. I may break out 4 sentences in the basketball (or baseball) section of the basketball message board but until then you guys can just keep typing. :)

14. NewRoxFan

I don't normally go with name-calling. Instead, I will applaud you for your troll and bait success... as it clearly a win for you, as opposed to presenting reasoned arguments supporting your position. And after all, the D&D really benefits from the name-calling and troll/baiting instead of reasonable debate. So kudos...

FranchiseBlade and Astrodome like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

btw, I am certain B-Bob wasn't calling you a name, certainly not lowest common denominator. he was describing the response (ignoring the many valid points of a thoughtful article, and instead resorting to a "yea, well, your mom wears army boots" response as being representative of the lowest denominator of political debate.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What? You believe trolling and baiting is a positive thing?

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He's a trump supporter... So obviously yes.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Exactly. I kind of like Astrodome and wasn't calling him names. But his POST was terrible and precisely what the thoughtful article decries.

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I know my post was terrible but the multiple daily threads of Trump bashing is getting old. Anybody can just turn on CNN and get those type of stories but at least CNN apologizes occasionally.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And democrats are still loosing to him

What does that tell you

Worry about your team