1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terror attack on London Bridge June 3 2017

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Jun 3, 2017.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

70's Iranian Women
    [​IMG]

Article of Jeddah in the 50s
    http://www.andfaraway.net/blog/2010/03/31/once-upon-a-summer-day-in-jeddah/

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I'd probably have to agree with that. There are a LOT of people in the past, though, who have done awful things in the name of Christianity. But recently, I'd have to say it's much more coming from people that worship Islam.

Again, I'd rather just eliminate them all. But we can't, and we can't discriminate against one, either.

You want to be the one who bans Hakeem Olajuwon? Not me.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This doesn't really disprove the aspect of violence being linked with Islam. You just have to look at the history of Islam and it has been the cause of many violent acts and wars from the beginning.

But yes, I agree that women in countries like Iran were much less oppressed a few decades ago and it's a shame how that changed.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a long time. That schit is permanent - the damage is done.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I hope one day you realize when I post these images it isn't a defense of Islam itself but rather a defense of my premise that something drastic has changed where the perception of Islam 40 years ago to Westerners was benign exotic religion to today where a large portion of Westerners believe it to be an ideology as dangerous as Nazism.

My question is what changed and HOW? No one has been able to answer this question and the answer to this question could help find a actual pragmatic solution.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What's your answer?

7. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

Islam is bad for the world

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

More hugs and happy thoughts.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I really think the truth is more important than outside opinion or Islam being seen as "exotic" back then. It clearly has always been dangerous.

So I don't understand why showing females from decades ago is a proper response to the "Islam is violent" narrative or helps the core issue.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. dandorotik

You're such a mental adolescent. I can't help you at this point.

11. dandorotik

A multi-pronged approach. There is no one solution.

Ironically, though- I think if people hugged it out more and lived life with a more positive outlook, that could reduce terrorist attacks. Wishful thinking.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well of course that's the actual answer, I was just making light at some of the ridiculous statements by worthless celebrities recently. Also, sure, if people would just hug it out it would make the world a better place.....but if people were that cool, there wouldn't be terrorists to begin with. Like you said, wishful thinking.

I get wishing that people would just "be excellent to each other" and would unite behind the Wyld Stallyns as prophesied so I only really give people crap about it if they actually think it's something that could really happen.

13. cml750

cml750 Member

Something did change. Some people started pushing the more radical teachings of Islam. Those teachings have always been there but now some people are using them to push the violence. I am not sure why it is more prevalent today than in years past but it is undoubtedly happening. Can't remember where but I did see someone theorize that in Islam, the only way a person knows for sure they are going to heaven is if they die in jihad so they are using this to get to young people to commit these terrible acts to push the radical agenda.

14. dandorotik

You'd think, but some believe there's one solution and that's it.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Saudi Arabia started spreading Wahhabism throughout the world and we pretend it isn't happening

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well.....I mean, there is a really simple solution that would work, but it's far too barbaric for people to seriously consider in this day and age. You could just eliminate all Muslims and that would eliminate the problem. Once upon a time, that is the type of solution that would be implemented and it would potentially be successful, but most people like to think that we are beyond that at this point in the evolution of humanity. That's why IMO any solution worth serious consideration or discussion is "multi-pronged" and complex. Even though the extremist Muslims who are the problem aren't good enough people to be horrified by slaughter on that scale, the rest of the world would be and they wouldn't allow it to happen....and rightfully so.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's not just Saudi Arabia, though. Look at their enemies in Iran, the Mullahs. They are Shiites and not Wahhabis, but really aren't any better.

18. dandorotik

Yes, of course, you've heard people say "Let's just nuke the entire Middle East!" That's the easy, simplistic way. The best solution would be to halt the religious indoctrination at a young age. Much more complicated. If religion didn't exist, we'd probably all be better off.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Banning Muslims will not stop terrorism, but it will help keep America white

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Har Har Har because you know, white people can't be Muslims. Quit trying to make this a racial issue. Ignorant as usual.

AroundTheWorld and Wattafan like this.