1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TEXANS TRADE BROCK OSWEILER TO CLEVELAND BROWNS

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The most brilliant and amazing system in the world is garbage if no one other than arguably the best QB in NFL history can run it.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Garbage just seems like the wrong word to me. Impractical is better.

It's clearly not garbage because when run correctly it literally can't be stopped.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I was meaning to say what it was in practical terms. It's like how a car with no key might as well be a paper weight even if it's an amazing car.

If only one QB ever can run it, it's not a system that should be in use.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Check out @A_A_Ron_Rodgers's Tweet:

Fulgore likes this.
  5. solid

solid Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. BOB needs to adjust the system to fit the strengths and weaknesses of the talent he has. If he can't do that, he can't really coach.

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Matt Cassel ran it for a year and did pretty decently. It could be argued that his best season was the year he started in NE and it certainly led to his FA payday.

However, the system has never worked without Bill B.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

He can't; all the jokes would go over their heads

Fyreball, BigM, leroy and 2 others like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

BOB wasn't offensive coordinator when Cassel was good.

9. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Gold

zeeshan2 likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Texans once liked Brock Osweiler's film, too

When it comes to what he sees ... Brock Osweiler isn't the only one whose film watching has some Stevie Wonder-like qualities.

See: Bill O'Brien's songs in the key of bad football life below.

I believe in taking the high road when it comes to athlete failure, especially when talking NFL quarterbacks.

Now, some guys just aren't good enough. Some guys simply aren't built to handle game pressure.

Other guys get caught in bad situations, with bad teammates and/or bad coaching, and struggle.

Even when a quarterback fails to the magnitude that Osweiler did with the Texans, I'm still reluctant to put it all on him.

No, he isn't good enough. And he didn't appear to be built to handle game pressure.

But let's not ignore that he was caught in a bad situation, with some bad teammates (bad as in a receiving corps that was too inexperienced for a quarterback with his talent) and bad coaching (bad as in an offense that might not work and certainly doesn't fit his skillset, run by a hardheaded, hard-as-nails coach for a quarterback who apparently needed cuddling).

Bill O'Brien won't talk about Osweiler now, but he had plenty to say about what he saw on film after the Texans signed Osweiler to a $37-million guaranteed contract, making him the second-highest paid player in Texans' history (behind J.J. Watt):

What do you like about QB Brock Osweiler?

"I think the first thing you look at is his film, how he plays the game. He's a big, tall guy with a strong arm and he stands in the pocket. When the rush is bearing down on him, he delivers the ball. Look, it's not always complete but there's a lot that goes into that. I think the one thing that I like about this guy is that he's got good leadership ability. Like I said, he's tough, he's got a good arm, he's accurate. We spent a lot of time studying a lot of different guys, college guys, pro guys and we felt like Brock gave us the best chance to win."

Do you see QB Brock Osweiler as a particularly good fit for the Texans offense?

"Absolutely. Yeah, I thought he was a very good fit, obviously. We felt like he was a guy that everything that he brought to the table from his command at the line of scrimmage to his skillset as a passer. For a big guy – I'm sure you guys know his history, he played basketball – he's a very, very good athlete. We think he's a great fit for our offense."

Beyond QB Brock Osweiler's size and athleticism, what did you see that you like on film?

"You look for little things. The biggest thing to me was I felt like he had really good command at the line of scrimmage. You could tell on the coach's tape when the play was called, he knew what he was being taught to do by (Broncos Head Coach) Gary (Kubiak), get to the line of scrimmage, get them into the right play. Then the other thing that really stood out to me was when he dropped back to pass, like I was saying in the New England game, they were bringing some pressure on him. Some of the guys were unblocked. He was having to deliver the football and take a hit. There wasn't one time that I saw where he ducked. He stood in there and delivered the ball. That's one thing that I know that a quarterback has to have, the ability to stand in there, keep his eyes down field, deliver the ball and take a hit. He did it time and time again in that game and other games. That was one thing in addition to all of his skillset that I like. That was one thing that stood out to me."​

Kendrick Lamar and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Garappolo (small sample size) looked great in the system; Cassel looked pretty good, too, (including with Haley and Weis in KC). As with most successful systems, while they can work with virtually any level of competent talent, they're much better with better talent.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

BobbytheGreat should LOVE Brock. Decent Wonderlic and good Exit velocity. His PERFECT QB!

13. Fantasma Negro

So did this guy:
    [​IMG]

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Actually... no, he didn't. He did not run their offense. Your picture is proof. They ran a modified college option for him.

15. Fantasma Negro

Still kicked our asses regardless lol

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Don't forget Ryan mallett is his favorite QB

17. Major

Major Member

Neither of them played under BoB though. I suspect each of their OC's has a different version of the system, though I don't really know.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also they have very different players that help them out quite a bit. It's no shock that Cassel looked like crap when he left and didn't have that surrounding cast to pick up his slack.

19. Major

Major Member

Cassel was arguably a little better in 2010 with KC than he was in 2008 with NE. He just didn't seem able to sustain it.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Doesn't matter Brian, they still kicked our ass in front of the entire country for the billionth time, Brian.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.