1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 2, 2016.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I was having the same thoughts when I first read his post, but when I was replying to him about who he'd get rid of, the light bulb kicked on.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Right, sorry if my post was confusing. Basically, if I had it to do over, I'd go with this opening day roster:

RF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH Beltran
    1B Gurriel
    LF Reddick/Pearce
    C McCann/Gattis
    CF Marisnick*
    UT Marwin

Rotation: Keuchel, McCullers, Quintana**, McHugh, Morton

Bullpen: Fiers, Feliz, Logan, Sipp, Devenski, Harris, Gregerson, Giles

*Marisnick would start out as the everyday CF, but if he struggles thru April he'd go to the bench and Pearce/Reddick would become the everyday corner OF with Springer shifting to CF. A Reddick/Pearce platoon could very well put up borderline superstar offensive production.

**Assuming Chicago would have accepted a package that didn't include both Martes and Tucker; otherwise, replace him with Musgrove.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't think there was any chance they were gonna go out and fill every single hole on the roster with a recently productive veteran.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

AL West

[​IMG]
    Dave, the Astros were a popular pick last year, too. Why will this year be different?

The Astros had the youngest group of position players in the AL last year, and I see that core group of Jose Altuve, Carlos Correa, George Springer and Alex Bregman all having big seasons -- but this time supplemented by a better supporting cast that now includes Brian McCann, Josh Reddick and Carlos Beltran. Everyone worries about the rotation, but I think it's an underrated group, although a better season from Dallas Keuchel will obviously be key. -- Schoenfield

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/pag...ictions/2017-mlb-experts-mlb-team-predictions

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. juicystream

Highly unlikely even if he does produce and stay healthy, because I don't think he'll throw 200 innings regardless. Really hard to win a Cy Young without being a workhorse unless your numbers are vastly better. I have to think the team will work to keep him workload down as his career high in IP is only 157.3, and he only pitched 89 last year.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't expect it to happen either, but if he is able to make 32 starts he will get to 200 innings. As high as his pitch counts have gone, he's basically averaged 5 2/3 per start. You need 6 1/3 to get to 200. He could make that jump very easily.

I do suspect we will be conservative with him, particularly early as we try to stretch him out. But if he doesn't have any arm problems the team may pull off the chains and let him fly down the stretch.

No arm trouble is still a huge if though.

8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm so excited that we get to put this thread away in just a couple of days.

Everyone raise a glass to the 2017 Astros... let's have a great season!

9. juicystream

I think he'll skip a couple of starts and try to be at 180, especially considering they probably hope he'll have 4+ postseason starts

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It's been a long time coming, but looking forward to Castro killing this thread.

HookemHorns1250 and eric.81 like this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

If he makes 25 starts we should be ecstatic.

Yaosthirdleg and texans1095 like this.
  12. HookemHorns1250

Tomorrow should be a National Holiday.

Thank goodness we don't open up in New York in the freezing cold this year.

Uprising and jim1961 like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Why can't the gubmint move one of the useless holidays - President's Day, Columbus Day, something - to coincide with Opening Day every year?

I'll let you get to work on that.

14. conquistador#11

If valbuena doesn't go down, the last wild card spot would have been up for grabs a couple of games with crazy Umps losing their minds and that was with 2 of our outfielders completely being taken over by body snatchers. 2017, to quote NaS, "It was written"

If you asked me which I'd rather have infinite health for the main roster or the addition of quintana, I'd say health every time.

No Worries and kaleidosky like this.
  15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agree. Unfortunately, the 2 are intertwined--making a move for Quintana is very much health-insurance or just health driven (i.e. you either need the depth of high-quality SP to support because of injury risk, or you need him because Keuchel or LMJ or Morton are injured or performing below par due to actual injury)

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

1 day till the home / season opener.

Can we get a game thread @Castor27

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If I were to make a poll asking what is the most likely outcome(s) on that note, I would put them as follows (highest probability to lowest):

1) One of them (50%)
    2) None of them (25%)
    3) Two of them (20%)
    4) All of them (5%)

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Not until Game Day How it always works.

Uprising likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Correa’s agent says he won’t do early mutli-year contract

The Houston Astros have done some smaller early signings but have never gotten close to anything with superstar shortstop Carlos Correa.

“Carlos is never going to do an (early) multiyear contract,” agent Greg Genske said.

He hasn’t technically even done a one-year contract either as the Astros renewed Correa the last two years, including this year, when they gave him the major-league minimum of $535,000.

Word is they offered somewhere around $565,000 and were perhaps willing to go a bit higher, but Correa wasn’t going to put his name to something he didn’t believe in, his friends say.

He also has big sponsorship deals with Adidas and others that pay him millions.

Correa is one of the best young shortstops in the game, hitting 22 home runs with an .857 OPS during the 2015 season in which he was named American League Rookie of the Year. He followed that up with 20 home runs and an .811 OPS, with some considering it a down year despite his batting average staying close to the same (.279 in 2015, .274 in 2016) and his on-base percentage improving from .345 to .361. That ‘down’ year was worth 6.0 WAR, according to baseball-reference.

Speaking of Correa, a friend says, “His mentality has always been that he’s going to play it out.”

Even so, by giving him such oddly low deals, you wonder whether the Astros could hurt their chances to keep him long-term, assuming they are interested. Oddly, they gave an early deal to Jon Singleton ($10 million, five years) who’s in the minors, and offered one to Matt Dominguez, who’s also in the minors but erred by turning it down​

20. texans1095

texans1095 Member

What do we make of this? My initial reaction is that Carlos will be looking for the biggest possible payday in a few years when he becomes a FA. I love watching the guy, but I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up going to a huge market like LA or NY or Boston in a few years. Although, at the least we have him through 2021 so it doesn't seem like something to worry about yet.