1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA: "Most of time adjustments are overblown. You just say 'Play Harder'"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Hahahah yea you can say that when you are a X's and O's master! Milk hairs go to play was clap clap and his favorite out of bounds play was play harder!

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Problem with McHale is that he didn't have any 3 point shooters like Gordon and Anderson. I don't think McHale was a bad coach. I think Dwight was a terrible teammate and the team had too many chuckers.

JeffB, heypartner, vtjsr2 and 3 others like this.
  3. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Noooooooooooooooo

4. baubo

baubo Member

MDA couldn't draw jack squat when he had Melo and Kobe pound the ball for 20 seconds each possession. It's a lot easier to look like a genius when you have players who listen to you and can make shots.

Not saying McHale didn't deserve to be fire, but the Rockets played similar under him as MDA than people think. Biggest problem for years was that our 3 point shooters weren't that good. DMo/TJones barely shot the 3s adequately. Anderson meanwhile is one of the best shooting big in the game. Gordon is miles better than any swingman McHale had. Perhaps MDA is better, but he's still only as good as his players. Which probably applies to all coaches not named Pop.

saintja2 and roslolian like this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

McHale wasn't a bad coach, he's just not a good one either. That said, I had my doubts about MDA and was pretty upset when we signed him. Boy was I wrong there...

Ramo$e and roslolian like this.
  6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You say that when you have a system in place. Still amazed Clutchfans doesn't get it. If you've done your homework you can say run the system and put more intensity into it but if you have no system saying play harder is a bit stupid. That was the problem with Mchale.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Pringles is just giving credits to McHale. lol

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Yea in all truth if it comes down to it, Dwight got mchale fired. His unwillingness to play pnr destroyed the chemistry and flow. If mchale was still coach and we didn't have Dwight we would still be a decent team but nowhere near this good, props to mda

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

A hold, a hoop and a hold*

TexasRedd, J.R. and hakeem94 like this.
  10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You can say what you want about the shooters that we added, but having those shooters plus a more free flowing offense makes this team a lot easier to watch than we have been in a long time.

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the offense flew well before dwight come here

just bring us Kyle Korver already Harden is the system

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Difference is McHale only knew play harder, because to him it was a simple game and could not level with players. Ironic coming from a coach who admitted to just throwing things at the wall hoping it would stick. Anyway, MDA is not McHale and a lot of times I'm sure that play harder is not the only thing they say but definitely what it boils down to.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure if everyone here was paying much attention to Mike D'Antoni's NY and LA stops and the fan reaction during that time. D'Antoni's version of "play harder" was "ball finds energy." Fans complained about the fact that D'Antoni's solution to every problem was to increase ball movement and called for his firing when the teams were not getting enough wins. Was it his fault for not getting the likes of Melo, Kobe and Dwight to move the ball? Maybe. Maybe not.

Mike D'Antoni may or may not be a better tactician than McHale, but let's not pretend that you people wouldn't be calling for his head and finding faults with his post-game comments if the team's record isn't what it is.

JeffB, bongman and heypartner like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

#34 Amiga, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

There is some truth to what MDA says. Michael Jordan said that basketball game is all mentality. Vernon Maxwell was said to have the best NBA body in the Hakeem era according to MJ's trainer. I love Vernon, but if he had the mentality now back then. He would of been more than a member of the Clutch City team. When you play hard, it means driving to the basketball, creating chances and play full speed. When you don't play hard, you will be chucking 3s (Melo), reacting instead acting and just playing according to the score. You can draw Xs and 0s, but your player have to commit to it. MDA is not Phil Jackson, who plays mind games with media.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

When you have a good system in place, and your player buy into it, play hard just happen. And on occasion, you have to remind them. We are bound for a stink up but man, has it been rare. More importantly, they found a way to win.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like D'Antoni, I think he's a better coach than McHale. Draws great plays, has a great system, gets on guys for bad defense. Has a better handle on rotations. But I just don't buy that it was McHale's fault last year after he coached us to the WCF in 2014-15

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

But it's true though. And we hear it all the time from coaches all around the league. We hear it from players too. Many times games are won and lost because of effort. I thought last night the Rockets were really flat the first half. But then in the second half the effort really improved and the Rockets won fairly easily.

19. Garner

Garner Member

MDA ripping Andy Brinker again.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member