1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man... I'd be torn on this one.

Milsap is about to be 32, he's expiring and will get PAID on likely a long term deal this off season. He may be a rental if he doesn't mesh or gets a ridiculous offer we can't match.

He's been a non threat from 3 the last two seasons, he has been inefficent and just an okay rebounder this year

Do we really want to give up anything of value for a undersized, aging 4 who will get PAID, can't shoot, isn't anything special on the boards and is a inefficent scorer...

Don't get me wrong, I know he's a better overall player than Anderson, better finisher at the rim, better rebounder, better defender, passer, more hussle etc.

But he'd likely really hurt the spacing, which is the very reason for our special season... I'm not sure I see the justification of dumping our high volume lights out shooting stretch four who makes our system work for what Milsap currently is.

seeingred, hakeem94 and OtisHerrera like this.
  2. jae713

jae713 Member

People saying he would kill spacing are tripping. I would dare teams to play off of Milsap and just watch how many points he will burn them for. Milsap can create his own shot Give him some space and he will torch teams. I like what Ryno bri gs to the team, but Milsap is better all around and inproves the team overall not just in spacing.

Vivi, anchel and malakas like this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Exactly. If his value has fallen that much, you have to wonder if the Sixers are projecting that his future will not be very good.

I don't think they will trade him for anything less than a good pick and a rotation vet.

da_juice and malakas like this.
  4. Soneirom

Soneirom Member

Agreed. If we can somehow come away with him and Gay before the deadline. But I don't know what we'd give up for that. Probably too much.

5. malakas

malakas Member

Maybe a mid first. But a second and a marginal prospect? nope. Otherwise he would have been traded ages ago.

As for Millsap I don't see Morey trading for him.
    Maybe some other teams like the Nuggets or Detroit are interested but we shouldn't be at this point.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Ship has sailed. Millsap is a player you get at a discount to the max, not the actual max. Not at his age.

OtisHerrera, D-rock and Richie_Rich like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Man, so annoying. In a dream world, you replace Nene and Trez or Dekker and our 2017 pick with a Millsap willing to re-sign, and we are suddenly scaring the ish out of the top 3 teams.

On the other hand, we have this problem of not having trade pieces because we're playing so well and the value of our core guys is sky high to us right now. Can't complain much, just I've wanted a 2-way rock solid guy like Millsap on the Rockets for some time now.

I agree with @malakas I can see him heading to Toronto. I don't think he'll guarantee to re-sign with Boston cause IIRC he did not like playing with Horford much (I could be wrong).

malakas likes this.
  8. finsraider

finsraider Member

If he would embrace the "super sub" role that Gordon has he would be a great team fit, but I don't see the trade/contract fit. Would require a 3rd team to take on contracts.

Shark44 likes this.
  9. Lightsnowaction

I know Millsap won't make us a true contender, and I feel like Millsap is worse this year besides age is because of Dwight.
    Yes, we are where we did not think we would ever be this year, but you always have to look to improve your team, even if that is not Millsap.
    We have some few weaknesses that with trade or trades can improve our team and we could do something special this year. LAC and SAS and even the JAZZ do not scare me one bit.
    Plus, your job as a GM is never complete unless you have a bonafide championship contender like the Warriors and Cleveland.
    So that is why you take a risk.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And there is normally possible 2nd rounders we throw in to make it fair...

11. craguin

craguin Member

*edit: refer to post #166 in this thread for ESPN & Atlanta-Journal Constitution article links

#211 craguin, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Nothing in the rotation outside of Brewer.

DD

mikol13 likes this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Codman spoke of more birds. Could it be PM? Also said NeNe was in the ear of players around the league. Anyone know if Ne and PM are friends?

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's not that he can't space the floor. The issue is that he can't space the floor as well as Ryan can. Ryan shoots a lot of threes from 5-8 feet beyond the 3 point line, so you have to guard him way past the three point line. Millsap can't space the same way. He just doesn't have the range and he's certainly not a 40% shooter from that far out.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Because all they attention too is the box score

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Millsap would be huge for us.
    3 time all star (last 3 seasons); all defensive team last year. Can shoot, rebound, play defense, move, pass etc. Think Harrells best game, but every game, with rebounding....

If we can get him for anderson we have to pull the trigger! All it would mean is that we have to move Brewer for a rotation guy who can shoot the corner 3.
    Anderson is our least important starter, and less important than EGo. Love what he brings, but Millsap is a legit step up.

17. Fantasma Negro

If it can't get done with Brewer, Kj, Ennis and Bobby then I dont want him. He should try to see if he can get them to trade him to Boston. Smh the Dwightmare world tour continues

vtjsr2 likes this.
  18. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I seriously Doubt Harden would be happy with Anderson being traded tho

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No need for Milsap here. What we have has been working so far.

PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  20. malakas

malakas Member

according to Stein, Korver and Sefolosha are also being shopped. Seems Atlanta is ready for a full rebuild and should look for picks + prospects not roleplayers like Anderson.

Richie_Rich likes this.