1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Broncos

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Man, you really need a better grasp of the salary cap...

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I have very low expectations for this game. I believe that it will mirror what went down last night on SNF where both teams defenses managed to smother the other's offense resulting in a boring, low-scoring game. With Denver's offense regressing somewhat, I can see a slight advantage for the Texans given that Osweiller appeared to flip a switch in the last game at the end and he does possess more experience than Siemian. But I'm really concerned about their patchwork OL handling that Denver pass rush because that will be the key to the game for the Texans. I'd like our defense a lot more if JJ was out there but that ain't happening.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

4. Mr. Clutch

Our defense can stop them.

Brock really needs to not turn it over.

5. Hey Now!

The key being, "if we keep him." If he proves unworthy of being kept, he has no cap ramifications beyond next year.

You keep pushing this nightmare cap scenario, and it has no basis in reality. If the Texans were going to throw huge money at a mostly unproven free agent QB, they structured the deal cleverly. He's below market value for this first year; if he doesn't get better, they only have to swallow a single season of overpaying him. And they have Savage signed for less than $800K in '17.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Said thread should already exist.

7. Mr. Clutch

I said if he's average, we're keeping him and his $20m cap hit. So he'll still be a cap liability.

Or do you think we'll cut him if he's average?

Besides, all the money we are paying him these two years is money we could have spent elsewhere. It doesn't solve the situation if we cut him in 2 years, it means we wasted 2 years. Then we have to find a QB again.

Just about every team has a cheap QB on the roster. Doesn't count for much unless he's actually good.

Also, Osweiler has $6m and $3m in dead cap the two years after if he's cut. Lamar Miller's cap hit is about $7m per year so no, that's not a small amount

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

1. The "sports ticker" was hilarious.
    2. If tonight is anything like that, we'll have threads like "What QBs are available in next year's draft?"

11. Mr. Clutch

They have the replay up now. Not sure why the played with Covington so much

12. toycannon

toycannon Member

I'll be happy we can make it a game this time on national TV.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

14. Hey Now!

The point is... they have the flexibility, cap-wise, to make the best decision for the franchise. They're not *stuck* with him unless they choose to be.

They did spend it elsewhere: Lamar Miller, Jeff Allen, Tony Bergstrom, plus resigned Bouye, Clark, Lechler, Novak... and *still* had roughly $10MM heading into the draft...

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You really love to speak on both sides of the fence... and it is entirely obvious you have no clue about the actual cap and in many ways want this current regime to fail.

But just to play along... which QB's do you currently consider to be average? And which ones are the above average ones that would justify Brock's 2 year deal?

16. Hey Now!

Final tally - Osweiler completed 22% of his passes for 105 yards and 7 interceptions. On the plus side, Lamar Miller did run for 107 yards - so there's that.

BTW - I think they do this each week but FYI: their week 1 simulation of Broncos-Panthers went Carolina's way, 48-36 - so.... not remotely accurate, it seems.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not to mention, they'll easily have enough flexibility to extend Hopkins... if they choose to do so.

The Texans pale in comparison to some of the cap-strapped disasters out there. Its actually one area they've consistently been ahead of the game in, despite having questionable extensions (in terms of overall return) given out to Schaub and Cushing.

18. Mr. Clutch

Is this your thing now? I state simple facts about Osweiler's contract, you say I'm not a cap expert, which I never claimed to be. Then you say it doesn't take an expert to know that Brock's deal is a good one, while acknowledging that you yourself are not an expert.

As far as which QBs are average and which are worth how much, that should just be a thread on it's own.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mentioning the OL as an example of our ability to sign good talent despite Brock's contract isn't a good one...the OL is one of the worst in the league.

20. Hey Now!

That's not the point you're making...