1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Cruz Makes His Move, Watch Out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that's embarrassing for him. He makes a principled stance and then later shows that his principles and integrity mean nothing to him. I was never a Cruz supporter and he's done nothing but show me that I was right to not support him.

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Except, 4 more years of Obama's policies is the end of America as we know it.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, maybe, but still better than 4 years of Trump.

4. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

unlikely

5. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Donald Trump’s consistently disgraceful behavior is beneath the office we are seeking and we are not going to follow <a href="https://t.co/BG9IHd1Oqg">https://t.co/BG9IHd1Oqg</a></p>&mdash; Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) <a href="">March 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Major

Major Member

So umm...

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The moment big money from #NeverTrump jumped ship, the rats underneath have to swim for the cheddar.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just when I thought my opinion of him could get no worse, he pulls this crap? Why even? Is his endorsement useful for anything at this point anyway?

(I suppose Donald promised him a cabinet position, or something.)

9. Anticope

Anticope Member

Looks like Ted Cruz has joined John McCain in the politics over self respect and principles club. Can't say I'm surprised.

Deckard likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I am very disappointed. I would vote for him again, but I think his best shot was probably this time around. Don't be surprised to see Donald Trump nominate Cruz to the Supreme Court, if Trump wins in November.

Also, regardless of what Cruz does, I am still not voting for either of these world-class turds for president. It is not happening.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yup, now that is taking a principled stand...

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its pretty obvious. The Republicans are trying to rally the forces. A lower Republican turn out means a greater chance they lose the Senate. They either lose both or win both.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In defense of the endorsers, this is a pretty shitty choice for them. The Donald may be a dangerously unhinged dude, but the idea of Hillary and all her evil liberal policies and evil pinko Supreme Court Justices has to be a pretty scary thought for them. I think this is a "hold your nose" type of endorsement. The best case for them is probably the idea that that The Donald gets himself surrounded and controlled by "establishment" Republican who find a way to exert control over him.

I can see how in their minds, an effective Hillary Clinton administration could be worse than holding your nose and being embarrassed by The Donald for 4 years. Maybe they get lucky, and The Donald gets elected and dies in a freak tanning bed accident and Mike Pence is the President for 3.75 years. 4 to 8 more years of trying to obstruct a Democrat in the White House has to be a pretty tiring idea for them. There are very few ideas with a more disastrous outcome for them than Hillary Clinton being a popular and effective President.

14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He is now the Republican version of Bernie Sanders. At least Ted had the decency to wait to endorse Giant Douche - Bernie came out before the bell had rung to endorse Turd Sandwich.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I can't wait to see the spin post election (Clinton wins) when Cruz and Co. start saying they never really endorsed Trump.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Priebus is getting flak in the Connie blogs. You can almost read the tears in this one (Game of Thrones image not linked).
    Reince Priebus: There might be penalties in 2020 for presidential candidates who don’t back Trump this year

There needs to be some penalty for breaking a signed pledge to back the party’s choice, Reince insists. There does? Trump broke the pledge and he hasn’t paid a penalty, right? If your memory needs some freshening on that, watch the second clip below. To the extent that there’s a penalty, though, Ted Cruz is paying it right now. His biggest donors are mad at him for his RNC speech and his favorable rating has tanked among Republicans nationally. He’s now less popular in Texas than his colleague John Cornyn, who has declined to endorse Cruz for reelection. There are already whispers of recruiting a serious primary challenger for him in 2018, and Trump himself has vowed (credibly or not) to spend big bucks on a Super PAC to wreck Cruz’s career. That’s the price of withholding your endorsement from the party’s presidential nominee.

It's a practical insider sleaze play though. Republicans in Washington never liked Cruz, and if the nose has to go in order to spite the face, might as well point the scalpel elsewhere while they're at it.

This is uhhhhh just like Bernie Sanders.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cruz is, unsurprisingly, being a hypocrite. He essentially sold out his family's honor for what he sees as a "good" political move. How I hope it blows up in his face. The man is an walking, talking hunk of excrement.

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

And by your logic so is Bernie Sanders. At least Cruz waited out, Bernie came out for Hilary as soon as she was nominated

19. dmoneybangbang

Pretty appropriate Republican response to Cruz vs Trump.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't recall Bernie Sanders declining to endorse the nominee at their convention and telling people to "vote their conscience" or having his parents accused, multiple times, of being complicit in the assassination of a president. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My best guess here is that party insiders told Cruz they'd pull support for him in 2018 and maybe even back Dan Patrick against him in the primary. For everything he is, Cruz isn't stupid. He knows he's arguably the most disliked member of his own party, even before Trump, and that having the machine used against him could turn him into a one term firebrand. I bet he saw the money and knew he had to get in line for 2018.