1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Boogie Cousins is the most overrated "star" in the league... Not even top 15.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Canada, Jul 29, 2016.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't know where to go to get the stats confirming this.........but.........I also thought his FG% as a big man was really bad his first couple years. Then, I stumbled across his FG% about half way into one season - I think a couple years ago. It was just under 50%. A lot of bball is played in half a season. Also, he was in the top 4 in blocks while being among the league leaders in charges. He had bought in, and I would say he was in the Top 5 of players by the stats. They fired the coach he liked, and sure enough he had another pitiful FG% for a big man at the end of the year. Wish I could get his stats while he was under Coach Malone to confirm.

I agree though - it's troubling to think a player has to be babied to get the right effort. My point is the question with him is not physical but mental IMO. There is nothing he can't do as well physically as any big man in the league. But mental stuff shouldn't be underestimated.

#61 oakdogg, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

... But why would Cousins play PF and Anderson play C tho?

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We have to wait to see what he does on a contender before judging him. Kings have been a mess, and I can't rank him against other star players who are in much better situations for the most part.

But if I had to rank him, I think some of those names are a stretch , I'd take Cousins over Lowry, Gasol, Aldridge, Butler and I'd say he and Lilllard are about even.

4. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I'm not just looking at simply his FG%

He actually shot 49% in the post... No one said he's a poor post player.... 31% isn't amazing from 3... The heck? LOL.. You need to learn your bball percentages.

I'll post his shot chart again....

Look at LA below his averages... That's the league average.

[​IMG]

Also for further clarification.

Boogie is 41% 3-9 Feet...
    Sub 60% at the rim.
    25% 10-16 feet
    35% 16-23 feet

And we're only talking about shooting inefficiency here... I already went into all the other flaws in his game.

5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Solid points... well then

Your an idiot and your post is trash... ;)

6. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

What's your reasoning in putting him over those guys?

7. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Terrible thread. Learn the game. Boogie Down is one of the last traditional big men who can post, shot long range, rebound and defend. You'd be grateful if he made it to Houston. He wants out, but the salaries are tough.

Study his game.

1 person likes this.
  8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but his percentages from outside aren't anything special. they might be better than most big men, but that still leaves his percentages below what you would expect from people you would want shooting from mid-range or 3.

9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Booger is the trooth

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Boogie inherited the title of King of Empty Stats from Kevin Love when Love went to Cleveland.

11. atamirisa

atamirisa Member

He's the best center in the league, but the league is full of weak centers. He averaged 27 and 11 this past year and he can space the floor. To succeed in today's NBA, you don't need an elite center, but there's no denying that he has an incredible impact on the court.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

13. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I've undoubtedly watched more than you if this is your assessment.

Yes he can shoot... Just not well...
    Yeah he can post.. no one said otherwise.
    Yes he's a mediocre defender unless you judge the defense of a center by how much they try to take charges.

He's an elite rebounder and an elite foul drawer.
    Of course I'd be fine with him as a Rocket.

What did I actually even say?
    No... Try reading. :rolleyes:

14. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

klay thompson and draymon green are more overrated too me.

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Yepp.. They're terrible except his 3pt shooting which is just barely average at best..... Yet his 3PA are a bigger detriment than asset to his team anyways because if you're the opposing team you'd prefer Boogie taking long jumpers as much as possible. Why?

He's a solid post player, but his two best skills are rebounding and getting to the FT line... Teams invite him to shoot cuz if he's doing that.... He's not hurting you on the glass then or drawing a foul.... Also he's probably not making the shot unless it's a rare hot shooting night.

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

give me boogie.

or give me...

BOOGIE

17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Lol! How many playoffs has he lead his team to again?

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

What impact exactly? He does a lot of things poorly A LOT... A lot of inefficient production compiled cuz he has free reign... Also his intangibles are ****.

Gasol is a better player.

19. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

I heard.... He won 29 games once. :eek: impressive

20. jayfree

jayfree Member

The age of the center as a top option are over to win games. Cousins is 15 years too late and almost 20. In the 90s teams would spoil this kid and give up everything, but now he's a liability. A center as the focal point will have a hard time in this league now to win due to teams stretching the floor. He is not fast enough to keep up with other teams front men out on the perimeter and that will be the teams downfall every time. Not to mention he is not that good of a shooter from the outside and would kill out percentages faster than Josh Smith can hoist a no look 3.

There is a reason why Cousins is still available and nobody is giving Sacramento anything for him (not even trash teams). His attitude was bad from day one (and I'm talking about the combine before his rookie year). Completely disinterested even then and walked off the floor like he was pouting he had to do it. And he still has not grown up and never will.

Cousins as a solid rebounder and defender would be ideal if he did just that. But he wants to get paid and score the 25+ ppg. Just like Howard (who would have been extremely effective off the bench by the way for the 2nd unit). But instead it's about them, not the team. We have one guy in Harden- can't have another ego to tick him off.