1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Paul George really a franchise player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Cashmoney, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I'm interested to hear what others have to offer on this question. We all know George suffered an awful setback and is still finding his feet post recovery, but the question has to be asked. Is Paul George really the number one guy on a contender?

He's had flashes of brilliance and sustained patches of blistering form, but I have my doubts personally.

The one thing I have to give him 100% approval for is his defensive effort night in night out. He's a solid defender for sure.

The one thing that shocked me when I looked up his numbers is his mediocre efficiency, not just this season but over his career. Shooting 41% from the floor this season on 18 shots a game is not flattering at all. He's just a 42% career shooter over his career too, and whilst last season doesn't really count and he's a good three point shooter, it's cause for concern.

If George was a guard the numbers would be more palatable but for a forward, I just don't think he's efficient enough. This is before we look at his particularly poor assist to turnover ratio or lack of elite first step either.

What do you guys think? My opinion is that he is an awesome second banana, that is exactly the type of player we should be trying to get next to Harden.

2. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

I think he's a franchise player, but there are levels even within that designation. He's not a Curry/Durant type of franchise player, but I think he's good enough to be the best player on a title contender and the type of player you can build around.

He's overqualified as a #2, IMO, but yeah, you're in amazing shape if you have him as your second-best player. He does have the game to fit alongside a ball-dominant superstar.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He's not an elite offensive player, but I'd say his defense offsets that. Franchise player for sure.

4. Asian Sensation

Better than Harden.

5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

This thread isn't about that and you better not turn it into that.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Nice complimentary player. Perfect #3, as #1 your team isn't going anywhere.

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I think you could win a title if he's your #2.

8. Lovemachine2000

PG is relying too much on his jumpshot, that's why he's so inefficient. He started out the season scorching hot, I was simply amazed at his silky smooth jumpshot when I watched a few Pacers games in December.

PG doesn't have the consistent shooting touch of Durant, and he can't create off the dribble like Harden. He would thrive in a system similar to ATL/SA, but in a less fluid offensive team, he's only a second-rate francise player.

9. omgTHEpotential

I'd take him over Harden.

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If he is your first option, the team needs a great role players and sound system if they are serious about winning.

If he is your second option, then that team is going to be really good.

He is a great player, top 20-25. But I don't think he could singlehandedly carry a team. All those great recent Pacers teams had the best defense and great role players around George which helped him grow and succeed.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Me too.

I love him, i think he can be a perfect 2nd star in any team/sistem. Number one i don't think so...

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Doubt it.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'd take him over Harden.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

If the season lasted from October to November sure.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Off topic, but I'd kinda like to see a thread about the worst #2 on a championship team in like the last 30 years. I'd guess it would be Otis Thorpe on the '94 Rockets....further cementing how bada$$ Hakeem was.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, just going out of the way now to belittle Harden.

17. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Morons. This thread has nothing to do with Harden but they want to find every opportunity to rag on him. Add something constructive or rack off with your misery elsewhere. (not you, them).

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

He would look great in a Rockets uni.... Oh and I'll take him over Harden too..lol

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is the 2015-2016 Clutchfans experience, my friend.

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Then he should come here and play with Harden. Those two would compliment each other perfectly.