1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2015-2016] Jeremy Lin as a Charlotte Hornet

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by swyyyguy, Jul 8, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like NBA Fans too, not this crap

Do you agree this must be destoyed?

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think the overall quality of the forum declines with every $hitposter, regardless of what they believe in.

3. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Tinsane gets ridicule on all other threads so he thinks he is respected here by hating on anyone who is a fan of lin. Lin fans are not only lofs and this for some reason he choose to ignore. There are long time real rocket fans that are also fans of lin that he has disrespected making very insulting replys because they express very realistic accessments of lins nba still sets. There is something seriously wrong with tinsane and I petty much pinpoint why by the contents in all his postings.

4. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

Tinsane tinsane tinsane..... my reply to cypress was a continuation on our discussion about his comment saying that the Chinese are always speaking for all thr other Asian groups. You are definitely barking up from similar thoughts and feelings as cypress so this is an issue you have too.

5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Please learn grammar. My eyes...

6. colt45nyc

colt45nyc Rookie

How's this grammar? Go lick my culo.

7. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

I became a Bill Bradley fan because I grew up watching him in college where I grew up. Similarly, I am a Joakim Noah fan because he went to my high school.

I thought Hakeem was a fantastic player. Does not mean that he had to be one of the players I considered a favorite. I was a die-hard NJ Nets fan, but only three Nets player made my list from 2+ decades of fandom (and only two because they were Nets)...not because I didn't like or respect players, but simply because they didn't stand out as "favorite". Derrick Coleman was an awesome player, but I couldn't stand the guy ("whoop de dam doo!"). Matt Maloney made my list because he was an Ivy League guy. Same as Chris Dudley (and not because he was a Net).

8. yoeddy

Yup...like I said, didn't know about this board till later.

Fwiw, I never really joined a NJ Nets board either. Back in the 90s, I spent most of my time on AOL sports boards in the Nets forum, then spent more time at NJ.com for discussion. With the Rockets and Lin, I spent more time at Chron.com before discovering this forum.

9. yoeddy

I have acknowledged that I have no team because Bruce Ratner stabbed NJ Nets fans in the heart. I am looking for a team to replace them in my heart. Rockets have had three of my all-time favorite players (Yao, Lin and Maloney), so I am spending time here to see how things are as a Rockets fan. tinman has been great to chat with, so I'm liking it here.

10. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Serious?

11. yoeddy

Yes. Matt Maloney was an Ivy League grad, just like Jeremy Lin. I am a fan of fellow Ivy League alums. If I knew about this board when he played for the Rockets, tinman might have called me a MOF.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

How do you become a die hard Nets fan than transition to Lin fan gypsy? It's not like he's lebron or kobe. On top of that, he was not Yao Ming who was the only Asian player who was a legit all star.

We all 'like' players from other teams, but not to a point to go the other team's sites just to discuss his race and his perceived lack of respect.

13. yoeddy

Fwiw, I also tried to follow Steve Goodrich (another Ivy Leaguer), and he was even on the Nets roster for a little bit. But he just didn't have the skills to play in the NBA. Maloney and Lin were/are legit in the NBA...

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Being a Rockets fan is not like leasing a car.

You are either one or you aren't.

If I decide to be a Golden state fan, I'm not going to evaluate their fan base. I'm joining because of the team.

Despite Lin having the worst fan base this side of the galaxy, I'm not a fan cause of his basketball skills.

15. yoeddy

I have posted this explanation many times. I will do so again.

I was a die-hard Nets fan, but Bruce Ratner stabbed me in the heart when he moved the team out of my hometown NJ. So I became a basketball fan without a team. Realizing that being a fan of a team is core to enjoying the NBA, I had to find a reason to become a fan of another team...my hometown no longer had a team to follow, and because I was a NJ fan, the Knicks were too high on my hate list to jump on that wagon (other than for the stretch of Linsanity when the whole world was on the Knicks bandwagon). As an Ivy Leaguer, I knew about Jeremy Lin from his Harvard days, and his story made me become a big fan (and yes, his ethnicity was also part of the reason). I had already followed the Rockets a bit when Yao was here, and I liked the team during those years...so when Jeremy got here, I tried to make the Rockets "my team". But I like teams with strong character, and James "I love strippers" Harden made it difficult for me to fully embrace the team, and Morey's lack of loyalty to anyone other than Harden made it even harder.

I joined this site when Jeremy was still on the team, but didn't post much...no reason other than I was happy just posting on Chron.com. Then he was traded to the Lakers...I joined a couple of Laker boards, but as a NJ Nets fan, I knew Byron Scott was going to be horrible, so I didn't invest much effort in being a Lakers fan (tho I did buy a Lin jersey). When Jeremy then left for the Hornets, I joined a Hornets board, but there are like 3 people who post there, so not much going on. So...one day I decided to check in here to see what was up, and what I saw was a very active thread called "Jeremy Lin as a Charlotte Hornet"...and so I jumped in to post. Lo and behold, people are very interested in Jeremy Lin here, so this has become a terrific place for me to hang out. I am very appreciative of everyone here who takes an interest in Jeremy...maybe if he returns to the Rockets one day, I'd be inclined to call myself a Rockets fan.

16. yoeddy

You have to have a reason for becoming a fan of a team. You have your methodology, I have mine.

17. yoeddy

Btw - why do my favorite players have to be "stars"?

Also, I am happy to discuss Jeremy's basketball. I've only discussed race here when someone else makes a point about race that I either disagree with or feel needs further explanation.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I grew up in Houston. That's my complex methodology for fandom.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

The only people bringing up race in any basketball discussion are Lin fans.
    The Yao fans didn't, it was more of a nationality thing.
    There were clashes on Clutchfans on whether or not Yao's national team training he did every summer for China screwed him over in the NBA. They felt that China > Rockets.

look at your pal colt45nyc, he's spewing out race questions like he was a cross between Al Sharpton and Lo Pan.

20. yoeddy

Yup, that was the same methodology I used in becoming a NJ Nets fan (and dumping them when they left NJ).

If the Rockets left Houston and became the Dallas Rockets or the OKC Rockets, would you still be a fan? Not sure it's exactly the same because I don't know if Houston/Dallas or Texas/Oklahoma have the same love-hate relationship that NJ and NYC have, but am curious to know what you would do.